DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE TO FOX, OCTOBER 2019

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to SMACKDOWN LIVE TO FOX, OCTOBER 2019

So the brand split is basically over then.  No way FOX or NBC is gonna be year "nah it's cool if half the roster isn't on our network".

Let the unifications begin!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CSC said:

So the brand split is basically over then.  No way FOX or NBC is gonna be year "nah it's cool if half the roster isn't on our network".

Let the unifications begin!

I don't know. I could see Fox not wanting to promote a USA show and USA not wanting to promote a Fox one. Given the way the story carries from show to show, the only way to avoid that might be with separate brands. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I don't know. I could see Fox not wanting to promote a USA show and USA not wanting to promote a Fox one. Given the way the story carries from show to show, the only way to avoid that might be with separate brands. 

This is more the NFL license, where you have to mention games on NBC or ESPN. 

1 minute ago, Victator said:

This is more the NFL license, where you have to mention games on NBC or ESPN. 

I'm not 100% convinced yet. I think it could go either way and a lot of it might come down to Fox potentially wanting its own thing. 

And to piggyback off of this, Meltzer just talked about on WOR that if WWE gets an offer for SDL in the $60 to $100 million range then WWE is basically completely and totally set.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sydneybrown said:

There's an updated story on the Hollywood Reporter.  5 years, $200 million per year. FOX is paying WWE 1 BILLION dollars for the rights.

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Wish Raw was going to Fox. 3 hours is too long for a weekly wrestling show. 

1 Billion is an awful lot for just a 2 hour show. Just sayin.....

Stock is up over 6%. I haven't seen details on the deal in terms of money, but haven't been paying attention. Stock is up 174% for the year. Company now has a value of over $4.6 billion. 

I'm going over their last quarterly earnings review right now. Net profit for its media division (rights fees, ad sales, network subscriptions) was up by 136% from the previous year. 

For all of the criticism Vince/WWE takes for the books and etc., the company sure knows how to make a lot of money. 

HR article says they had an even bigger offer from another party but went with Fox because of the tie-in opportunities with the NFL and MLB. 

I really do think the WWE is a perfect product for the current age we're in. The WWE Network beat out HBO and all sorts of other entities in streaming. It still has a program that is consumed first and foremost live, but with easy ways to still keep up. We might get bent out of shape over storylines or whatever, but in terms of the long and macro view -- none of that matters at all. 

1 minute ago, sydneybrown said:

3 Billion is an awful lot for 11 weeks of football, but FOX is dropping that much on Thursday nights.  

My point is, what's to say Smackdown isn't going to be 3 hours? (Don't shoot the messenger, I'm not hoping for that)

LOL apparently SDL will be moved to Fridays on Fox. Really smart. Pay out the ass for WWE programming and then schedule it to air on the worst day of the week for viewership.

1 minute ago, joseph2112 said:

My point is, what's to say Smackdown isn't going to be 3 hours? (Don't shoot the messenger, I'm not hoping for that)

Oh, I see what you're saying.  FOX only runs two hours of prime time.  Obviously football is going to be an exception, but I don't see FOX suddenly adding another hour of programming at the risk of upsetting their affiliates who run their local news at that time.

3 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

All Fox affiliates have local news on at 10 PM except for Saturdays.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

LOL apparently SDL will be moved to Fridays on Fox. Really smart. Pay out the ass for WWE programming and then schedule it to air on the worst day of the week for viewership.

Could be they are trying to get Friday numbers up. 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

I fully expect Brock and Ronda to be pushed as the faces of the Fox era which would effectively kill the brand split. Raw is still Vince's baby, he isn't going to want to compensate. 

Honestly, I would be surprised if Vince hasn't sold by October 2019 and focuses entirely on the XFL.  He just made at least $1.5 billion dollars in the past week.  As far as wrestling goes, he WON.  What else is there for him to possibly accomplish?