DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] May 16, 2018 TV Show

Peck

Ricochet/Dream was a fun little match until Lars started spiking everyone like footballs.

Good to see Raul Mendoza get a little TV time. He had some solid bouts with Roddy and Almas during a couple of the Florida-loop shows I saw in February.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Ricochet/Dream was a fun little match until Lars started spiking everyone like footballs.

Good to see Raul Mendoza get a little TV time. He had some solid bouts with Roddy and Almas during a couple of the Florida-loop shows I saw in February.

You're taking that scenario a lot better than I am. I'm absolutely livid at the sheer stupidity of the angle, there's a huge difference between Lars running in to squash No Way Jose and these two  guys. For one, nobody gives a fuck about No Way Jose who isn't related to him, Ricochet and Dream are stars in the making and this made them look like a couple of chumps who got their lunch money swiped and ran to tattle on the big bully. Worse, the outcome of Regal's ruling might as well have been a stipulation where the match doesn't start until they each get to kick Lars in the balls as otherwise they have no chance. They're supposed to be the faces in this and they have a two-on-one advantage? WTF? 

Ricochet/Dream was a nice tease before Lars interfered.

Don't really care for a punch as Lacey's finisher. That moonsault would work much better. Was nice seeing Kairi try and gain some retribution.

Nikki's involvement with Kai was not where I expected Kai/Shayna to go even after reading the spoilers, but I kind of like it. Still I was really hoping Shayna would break Kai and gain a henchwomen in her for a little while.

• Like 1

Oh, and I'm totally over the Finger-Breaking spot. Becoming way overdone and you know it's jumped the shark when guys on the receiving end are hitting moves like normal 45 seconds after their fingers break. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Don't really care for a punch as Lacey's finisher. That moonsault would work much better. Was nice seeing Kairi try and gain some retribution.

Yea I thought the moonsault looked better than the punch. Glad to see that they're trying to develop Lacey's character more. 

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think Dream is supposed to be a face at all...

He's not, but when you are jumped from behind and have your match with a legit opponent interfered with and are left lying in the ring by the much larger back jumper, you become a de facto face in the scenario, albeit a stupid-looking one, (how do you equate "ring awareness" with letting a 300 lb. man sneak up on you unaware?) 

I just think the whole thing was very poorly thought out for the usually very well-written NXT. You make two of your biggest potential breakout stars look ineffective and foolish. Worse, you cast the arrogant heel VD in a de facto face role, then to compound the error, you set up a match where the "faces" can't possibly be sympathetic as they have a two-on-one advantage  over their opponent. 

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

, (how do you equate "ring awareness" with letting a 300 lb. man sneak up on you unaware?)  

How dare you question Lars Sullivan's ninja skills?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 9:01 AM, Peck said:

Oh, and I'm totally over the Finger-Breaking spot. Becoming way overdone and you know it's jumped the shark when guys on the receiving end are hitting moves like normal 45 seconds after their fingers break. 

I think you just have to file this under "it's wrestling." Moves do way less damage to the human anatomy than they would do in real life. Guys get punched in the face with no cuts or bruises, joints hit steel beams with minor setbacks, attempted vehicular homicide keeps guys out for a week, etc. The fingers aren't supposed to be broken (I don't think announcers have tried to sell that at any point with Pete Dunne's offense), it's just minor hand pain that the larger than life action heroes can endure.

I loved that six man, and I hope this feud continues for some time. Pete Dunne as a no-nonsense ass-kicking face rules and his offense stands out and pops the crowd accordingly. Oney Lorcan is a great hot tag. The UE is the perfect balance of douchey heels that can work. The missing link was Burch being treated as a jobber to this point, but they made him look like he belonged here. Great showing from the face team here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 3:40 AM, turk128 said:

Nikki Cross: best motivational coach evar!

So is Nikki Cross and Dakota Kai the NXT version of the Demon Bunny team in TNA?    Granted I am behind maybe that has been answered already