DVDVR Message Board

Best Movie Opening / Ending?

J.T.

The opening farm scene in Inglorious Basterds.

The tension built in that scene was incredible. For some of the awful plot directions he can take (Hateful 8 I’m looking at you) Tarantino has written and directed great conversation through his films. I’d go so far to say that scenes of people talking are his best. The violence is just topping.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

The opening farm scene in Inglorious Basterds.

The tension built in that scene was incredible. For some of the awful plot directions he can take (Hateful 8 I’m looking at you) Tarantino has written and directed great conversation through his films. I’d go so far to say that scenes of people talking are his best. The violence is just topping.

Closing scene imo is just as good.  Guy is so evil throughout the movie and suddenly he's going to get away with it all but no.  I was cheering when Aldo gave his famous speech

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Up's opening montage was my first pick for the movies that make you cry thread. That fucking beginning, man.

It's just a devastating piece of storytelling.  In the theater, when they part in the doctor's office came on, this woman in front of us started crying (got awful dusty in our seats, too) and her child didn't get it.  She turned to her mom and says "Mommy, why is that woman on the screen crying?  Why are you crying?"  It was sweet and innocent and heartbreaking and awesome all rolled into one.  

Forget opening or closing scenes - that 5 or 6 minutes in "Up" is my favorite 5 or 6 minutes in any movie ever.  Just...wow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

It's just a devastating piece of storytelling.  In the theater, when they part in the doctor's office came on, this woman in front of us started crying (got awful dusty in our seats, too) and her child didn't get it.  She turned to her mom and says "Mommy, why is that woman on the screen crying?  Why are you crying?"  It was sweet and innocent and heartbreaking and awesome all rolled into one.  

Forget opening or closing scenes - that 5 or 6 minutes in "Up" is my favorite 5 or 6 minutes in any movie ever.  Just...wow.

The scrapbook with Elllie's hidden message and Ellie's badge at the end also gets me. The opening to Up brings it out, man.

Hope you're well my friend.

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

The scrapbook with Elllie's hidden message and Ellie's badge at the end also gets me. The opening to Up brings it out, man.

Hope you're well my friend.

Thank you. I am doing pretty darn good most days. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Contentious C said:

I realized this thread wouldn't be complete with, perhaps, the only final line in movie history that totally redeems an otherwise bad movie:

That is just crazy talk.  What other modern vampire hunters were brilliant enough to use super soakers filled with holy water and garlic?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...