DVDVR Message Board

Best Movie Opening / Ending?

J.T.

Oh man, my head went straight Dave Chappelle. "But, what if, R. Kelly had to pee on you to be able to fly? 'Lady, I can fly up there and save your kids, but you have to let me pee on you first!' He pees on people, but he saves people, and he saves more than he pees on!"

Pulp Fiction could swing for the fences in both of these categories. 

But for best opener - ESPECIALLY in relation to absolutely, positively every second of the movie that didn't have Fairuza Balk on screen - I give you the opening credits of the 1996 version of The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Congratulations, you've seen the best part of the movie already.

If I had a time machine, I would waste it on travelling to 1979 so I could watch people lose their shit for the false finish sequence in Alien. It's probably the only film ever made where I'd be genuinely interested in watching unspoiled audience reactions.

• Like 1

My actual picks for best opening and ending. 

Opening is an easy one; for years I didn't *really* get it, and then during one rewatch, POW, it's like it all clicked.

My favorite ending? 

Well, my favorite is one I can't post, because that would be Audition.

I don't think there's any movie-sharing experience to be had better than asking someone, "Do you like horror movies?" and they say "Oh I love horror movies, let's watch one!" and then you show them Audition, and their face becomes "WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WAS THAT" by the end. Plus, it's not so much an ending as it is a jumping-off point for your own musings about what part was real and what part wasn't (Robert Altman would say that means all of it was real and none of it was real). 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

(Robert Altman would say that means all of it was real and none of it was real). 

This reminds me of the flabbergasting ending of 3 Women where

Spoiler

it's revealed that the three females leads are a recently reunited family that have been playing out some kind of weird psychodrama where they pretended to be strangers. Or they're psychologically fragile strangers that are all sharing a delusional episode and have taken familiar roles in a family unit. And either way they probably committed a murder...maybe. Or we're witnessing a dream like in Mullholland Drive where perspectives change and characters transform and take on new roles of significance. 

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since we've been talking about it on here and the post above: Full Metal Jacket. No matter if you stop watching it after the boot camp or not, that ending is still crazy good. 

It is easy to forget how great Matthew Modine's monologue is at the end of the movie if you are like me and rarely watch anything past Paris Island because you just want to to bask in R. Lee Ermey's tour de force.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1