DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

...does anyone else think they should totally cast Sylvester Stallone as the VILLAIN in a Dredd sequel? C'mon, that would be like making Vince Russo into a heel manager in ROH, you know you want to see it.

Finally finished watching 'Let the Bullets Fly' (I think it took me 5-6 sittings to finish it).  It's good, albeit kinda wacky.  Director Wen Jian stars as a bandit who ambushes a governor, then instead of killing him, works with him to become governor of a corrupt village ruled by the evil Huang (Chow Yun Fat).  There's lots of plots and double-crosses and twists and turns.  It's silly, it's well-shot, it's entertaining.  Definitely worth a watch.

Watched Upstream Color. I laughed at one internet comment that said "It's as if Terrence Malick made a film, thought it was crap, and gave it to Shane Carruth." I wouldn't call it crap, but I feel like I'm gonna have to some reading to make sense of it. Beautiful images though, particularly the macro photography.

I will say it's probably the only English language film I've watched with subtitles. So damn quiet.

I am not starting the thread for it yet because it is way too early but Ellen DeGeneres was named Oscar host.

No NPH... again...

To be fair, he hosts everything else and likely will be called in to do a musical number anyways, which is all we really want from him as host.

Aren't Oscar hosts generally well known as movie stars*?  NPH hasn't been in much besides the Harold & Kumar movies.

*MacFarlane counts because he had an enormous hit movie in 2012

Well, the long-time host of the Oscars for me growing up was Johnny Carson.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I just went back to look up the Weir films I missed to put 'em on my list and saw Mutiny on the Bounty mentioned, which reminded me that I saw The Bounty with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins, which was really good. Any thoughts on that one? 

I absolutely love The Bounty.  It has a tremendous cast, even Daniel Day-Lewis in a supporting role, Liam Neeson, and Olivier in a small role.  Just an incredible cast.  I also like that they shied away from making it the traditional movie portrayal of the Bounty story as Fletcher Christian being the "good" guy and Bligh being the "villain."  Yeah, you feel more sympathetic towards Fletcher Christian looking through modern eyes, but his motives in this one aren't altogether altruistic, and mutiny is portrayed not very lightly at all in this as it should be.  Gibson was on his A-game and brought a lot of depth to the character that is missing in many of the other portrayals of Fletcher Christian.  The mutiny scene is great.  He does a great job of demonstrating doubt and guilt after the mutiny decision is made, and you can see it eating up the character.  Bligh's incredible feat of seamanship is give its just due as well.  It's not a perfect movie, but very underrated IMO.

Aren't Oscar hosts generally well known as movie stars*?  NPH hasn't been in much besides the Harold & Kumar movies.

Wouldn't that also discount Degeneres, though?

Watched The Burbs tonight.  Such a terrific, underrated film.  It's like one of those family-type films where the people suspect their neighbours are evil, but in the end it's all one big misunderstanding, only it's not like that at all.  Tom Hanks is at his Hanksliest goodness here and Bruce Dern is so friggin' great as the vet neighbour.  It's silly, it's pretty dark and it really makes you wonder: what the hell happened to Joe Dante?!  Directs The Howling, Gremlins, Innerspace, Gremlins 2, Matinee, Eerie, Indiana then just sorta falls apart: after a five year feature film break, he does Small Soldiers, five years later he does Looney Tunes: Back in Action, six more years and he does The Hole (which I've never heard of) with periodic TV movies or episodes.  IMDB says he has two films in pre-production but neither of them has a date or cast-list so I'd suspect they're not coming any time soon.  Weird.

I think I would have loved Upstream Color if there was no dialogue after the initial robbery scene, or no dialogue at all. Every time that Carruth or the woman started talking, it felt masturbatory and purposeless, but any time there was just ambient sound, I found it riveting. I also feel like Carruth could have told the same story in 75 minutes like he did with Primer and we wouldn't have really lost anything. 

I think I would have loved Upstream Color if there was no dialogue after the initial robbery scene, or no dialogue at all. Every time that Carruth or the woman started talking, it felt masturbatory and purposeless, but any time there was just ambient sound, I found it riveting. I also feel like Carruth could have told the same story in 75 minutes like he did with Primer and we wouldn't have really lost anything.

I loved this. I liked the odd dialogue -- the way the whole movie went about it made me feel like what happened to them happened to me. And even though I felt like I had no idea what was going on for 90% of the movie, I thought the end pulled it all together, and I was happy.Wasn't a fan of Primer, so I didn't have wild expectations. I loved it.

The first hosting gig was right after Finding Nemo, wasn't it?

The first hosting gig was right after Finding Nemo, wasn't it?

Actually it was almost four years later.  Degeneres hosted in 2007, Finding Nemo was released in 2003.

Prison was pretty choice for some buried '80s horror. I hadn't seen it since I was a wee pup so didn't have any memory of it. In one of his earliest roles, Viggo Mortensen plays a car thief who ends up in a prison that's being reopened after sitting empty since '68. It's haunted by the ghost of a guy who went to the electric chair behind shit the warden did and carnage ensues. This might've been John Carl Buechler's best effects job as the gore gags are just awesome. As long as you can take into consideration that this is certainly not Oz (nothing prison-wise makes much sense) it's a fun little flick. 

Shoot First, Die Later is from the second box-set of Fernando di Leo's Italian poliziotesschi/crime films and was one of the best ones I've seen yet. The main character is this hot-shit cop being feted in the papers and by his superiors who is secretly working with the mafia behind the scenes. His dad is also a cop, but never made lieutenant and is stuck being a paper-pusher. Needless to say one of these papers ends up being very important to the mafia and this presents a lot of trouble for everyone involved. This starts with a bang-up chase scene, one of the great French Connection-style ones you only get in films this old and this foreign where it's high octane as hell and cars are getting bashed up all over the narrow streets of Milan. There is a scene in this that totally stopped the movie for me though. The mafia goes to kill a guy. They suffocate him with a plastic bag. Then they see his kitten, and decide to do the same. Honestly, I see a lot of really bad shit in movies, but this took the cake... I had to stop the film for a minute and collect myself. It almost turned the whole thing off for me, but I went ahead. Anyway the rest of it is great, solid acting, wild twists and the final twist could very well have been stolen for a very modern crime film released in this country. Watch it if you can handle the cat scene. 

The missus and I watched End of Watch last night. I had been interested in watching it for awhile now, but a friend of mine recently saw it and put it up fairly high in his best of 2012 list.

It was actually really, really good. It had a pretty good mix of humor and situations that were really disturbing. In a sense, it's almost like a found footage horror movie. Michael Pena brings it too. I've liked him since I saw him in Crash, a movie I initially liked and now really don't, but I always thought he stood out. Between him and Gyllenhaal, he gives the better performance and I hope he gets more starring roles.

As far as where it ranks in my best of 2012 list, which is still anemic since I don't get to watch movies all that often, it's probably in the top 10, right at 9 or 10.