DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

I agree with most of the endings mentioned here, but especially TRIPLE-fuck this one: 

THE LAST BROADCAST. Perfectly serviceable low-budget mystery (that inspired BLAIR WITCH) but that ending...OH THAT FUCKING ENDING!

It's hard to describe if you haven't seen it, but it might be literally the single worst ending I've ever seen in any film ever. And I didn't even think the rest of the movie was that serviceable, it had a lot of really painfully amateurish acting and it moved at the pace of a crippled snail. I also don't buy that canard about it influencing Blair Witch, they were made around the same time and the general style and tones of the two films couldn't be more different.

Had the ended the film on the fade out of David wishing on the Blue Fairy at the bottom of the sea (or even with the world freezing over as he continued, A.I. would have had a much more powerful ending.

• Like 3

I don't know if I'd go quite so far to call the rest of it great, but the ending to Minority Report absolutely fucking destroys that film.

Had the ended the film on the fade out of David wishing on the Blue Fairy at the bottom of the sea (or even with the world freezing over as he continued, A.I. would have had a much more powerful ending.

Wow.  Throw in WAR OF THE WORLDS ridiculous ending and INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL and we've got ourselves a "Steven Spielberg in the ending" problem after, say, 2000.

I don't know if it's worth starting a whole new Criterion thread over, but Barnes and Noble has extended their 50% off sale on Criterion stuff. And guess who got paid today. Looks like Kiss Me Deadly is comin' to papa.

Did you just put a spoiler tag on the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time? Relax. Everybody's seen it, bruh.

I don't like spoiling anything.  As a guy who's had stuff spoiled pretty badly a couple times (A newspaper giving away the ending to 'The Sixth Sense' while it was STILL IN THEATERS! and my sister casually giving away the ending of 'Fight Club' thinking I had already seen it), I'm pretty sensitive to these things.  So if someone in here happens to have not see 'The Dark Knight', I don't wanna be the guy to spoil it for 'em!

I disagree.

I love the evolved robots/aliens (Depending on your POV) reviving David and giving him what he always wanted: his mother back.  I don't know why the robots couldn't do it longer (Seemed like kind of a dick move to tell him he only got one day!) but I thought it was deeply moving.  David deserved some kind of closure after all the shit he went through!

I'm with caley on AI. When I first watched AI when it came out, I thought the ending was bizarre and came from nowhere. When I rewatched it last month I found it both moving and morbid, which fits the film. It showed the depths(literally) that he was willing to go, and that over time wishes can come true, just not in the way you think they will. 

I think it's one of Spielberg's best films(along with Munich) in the last 15 or so years. It's like Kubrick kind of infected him, and it made him experiment a little more with his own tropes. Spielberg's films have often been about the wonder of human condition and compassion. Him trying to imbue that sensibility on a robot forced him to be more introspective with his own philosophy and that was exciting for me to watch.

Throw in WAR OF THE WORLDS ridiculous ending and INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL and we've got ourselves a "Steven Spielberg in the ending" problem after, say, 2000.

Why Crystal Skull? That one ended exactly the same as every other Indiana Jones flick, with the magical Macguffin backfiring and killing the villain who was obsessed with it while Indy and his allies just barely escape from the self-destructing final dungeon.

I'm with caley on AI. When I first watched AI when it came out, I thought the ending was bizarre and came from nowhere. When I rewatched it last month I found it both moving and morbid, which fits the film. It showed the depths(literally) that he was willing to go, and that over time wishes can come true, just not in the way you think they will. 

I think it's one of Spielberg's best films(along with Munich) in the last 15 or so years. It's like Kubrick kind of infected him, and it made him experiment a little more with his own tropes. Spielberg's films have often been about the wonder of human condition and compassion. Him trying to imbue that sensibility on a robot forced him to be more introspective with his own philosophy and that was exciting for me to watch.

I thought it was quite funny when it came out and everyone was bemoaning Spielberg taking over the project from Kubrick and injecting his "Spileberg sappiness" into it and it turned out the sappiness was from Kubrick and the really fucked-up stuff (The Flesh Fair, IIRC) was from Spielberg.  It should have been the cinematic equivalent of the wrestling double-turn.

The way I hear it, Kubrick didn't think he was right for the movie after all the work he put in and told Spielberg he should do it. Which makes sense if Kubrick was the one who supplied some of the more sappier aspects. I think it really feels like a collaboration between the two, even though I don't think either worked on the pre-production stuff together. There's a lot of really cool visual cues that Spielberg repeats that feel right out of the Kubrick playbook.

EDIT:

And while I'm here, I just watched Kubrick's The Killing. Everyone should check that out. Elisha Cook Jr. has an amazing loser part that rivals William H. Macy's best, and the last line is one of my favorite deliveries of any line ever. Oh and did I mention it features a wrestler that looks like he could be the father of George the Animal Steele? Black and white noir, Stanley Kubrick, and a wrestler that plays chess and gets into a bar fight, you have zero reason to not watch this now.

Most fans of Drive seem like they're not fans of Only God Forgives so far. (Though that does remind me I really need to get on Valhalla Rising sometime.) Too bad, cuz it was about time for a Kristin Scott-Thomas comeback anyway.

Only God Forgives has been shat on from a great height in reviews in the Guardian and on rogerebert.com (man that guy did NOT like it). I really don't care either way, soon as it comes to the Art (hope of all hopes) I'm going. 

Missed going out to see The Wolverine today so I hit the video store and snagged Combat Girls, Prison, Shoot First Die Later, and Dr. Orloff's Monster. The first one has to go back tomorrow so I'll throw a review up tonight after I watch it.

Combat Girls: the story is about two German women, one a Nazi skinbird who is unbearably nasty, the other a 15-year old piece of jailbait who ends up getting into the white power scene through associations with the other girl's friends. It's a pretty unpleasant film for the most part but shows it has a heart eventually as the main girl ends up helping a young Afghani refugee out of guilt for running down him and her brother in her car. Well-made, well-acted, but overlong and the beachfront ending reeeeeally felt derivative of Romper Stomper, which is the closest thing to this film -- only sans any sense of humor. I mean it's a German production after all, what do you expect. Even though this is good I really can't recommend it. 

EDIT: If you haven't seen Romper Stomper then just associate it with American History X and there you go. Horrible fascist learns to empathize with others, pays the consequences. Also if you haven't seen Romper Stomper you really need to see it; that's a way better film than either of these. 

Side Effects is really good. Jude Law is great and there's some really awesome shot compositions. Really love the moments where Soderburgh directs bits like a drug commercial. It reminds me of episodes of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Highly recommend it.