DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

What happened on League to make Connery retire?

I'd almost be willing to consider the onset of dementia. Something about his interviews in the media about the movie, esp. the ongoing statements that he just didn't "get it," i.e. the story, the concept, make me think this. I could be totally off-base though.

I think that sat in not long after that. . . I seem to recall stories within the last few years that he was struggling with mental issues of some sort.

Lone Survivor was decent, Spoilers to follow. I don't know much about the OP outside of general information so I cannot comment on how true it stays to the story. I did not love the opening training montage or the score/death scenes as it all felt too much like Oscar bait. The last half hour we are treated to some less than spectacular acting from Wahlberg.

With that said, the middle portion is very well done. The team finds themselves outnumbered by about a hundred soldiers and the film does a good job of presenting how dire the situation was. The bad guys were actually competent also..  the bullets were real, the danger was real. It was graphic and terrifying. At one point they have no choice but to tumble down this steep hill and it's just gruesome.. 

The credits hit me pretty hard with real pictures/videos of those who lost their lives in this operation. Very sad.

• Like 1

American Hustle is tremendous fun.  I really wanna see Christian Bale win the Oscar and stumble up to the podium in character, all slouched and mumble off an acceptance speech. Jennifer Lawrence pretty much steals every scene she's in with her 'Real Housewives' accent (and just being pants-meltingly hot doesn't hurt either).  Also really liked Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, Shea Wigham and Louis CK in their roles (CK is shockingly great in his role) and loved the cameo I didn't know about so I'm not gonna spoil it for you either...if you find out elsewhere, your loss.  It didn't really break any new ground or anything, but it was just this perfectly entertaining character-driven flick.  I can't ask for anything more, really.

Seven Psychopaths really thought it was better than it was.  Didn't know what it wanted to be.  Not really that funny.  Violence was pretty off-putting.  Story was ok.  Other than a clever title, there really wasn't anything there.  Which, I guess, was the point.

American Hustle is tremendous fun.  I really wanna see Christian Bale win the Oscar and stumble up to the podium in character, all slouched and mumble off an acceptance speech. Jennifer Lawrence pretty much steals every scene she's in with her 'Real Housewives' accent (and just being pants-meltingly hot doesn't hurt either).  Also really liked Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, Shea Wigham and Louis CK in their roles (CK is shockingly great in his role) and loved the cameo I didn't know about so I'm not gonna spoil it for you either...if you find out elsewhere, your loss.  It didn't really break any new ground or anything, but it was just this perfectly entertaining character-driven flick.  I can't ask for anything more, really.

Come join the Jennifer Lawrence lovefest!  http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1182-american-hustle/

What happened on League to make Connery retire?

I'd almost be willing to consider the onset of dementia. Something about his interviews in the media about the movie, esp. the ongoing statements that he just didn't "get it," i.e. the story, the concept, make me think this. I could be totally off-base though.

As I understand it, he passed playing Gandalf because he didn't understand the script for LOTR, and then got pissed at himself because they had offered him a cut on the back end, so he lost millions.  When another kinda geeky script he didn't understand came across his desk, he signed on, not wanting to make the same mistake.  He wound up hating the experience of making it, hating the finished film, and it bombed and he didn't get his sweet, sweet money, so he said fuck this, I'm out.

Never knew this. Glad Sir. Ian McKellen got the part of Gandalf for his performance in Lord of the Rings (haven't seen The Hobbit films) and I think he's great as Magneto in the X-Men films.

• 1 month later...

Holy shit I might be in ABCs of Death 2.  I did three hours of unpaid work ("work") as an extra today.  It'll probably end up being like the back of my head or a half-second shot or something if any of me even makes it into the movie at all, but rest assured I will be freeze-framing every second of the appropriate short trying to catch a glimpse of myself.  Marking outtttt.

So, about this.  I've been told by one of the editors that the relevant short is finished, and I do appear in it... but it's in a wide group shot and I'm walking away from the camera, so yeah, you can only see the back of my head and would only be able to tell that it's me based on what I'm wearing.

Next time, Hollywood!  *shakes fist*

• Like 1

The original Conan was a great movie. It really captured the grim tone of the original stories. James Earl Jones was a great villain, he was subdued while carrying a true air of menace. 

Arnold was still young, but they played to his strengths. I think it is his best movie, I would take it over both Terminators and Predator.

The original Conan was a great movie. It really captured the grim tone of the original stories. James Earl Jones was a great villain, he was subdued while carrying a true air of menace. 

Arnold was still young, but they played to his strengths. I think it is his best movie, I would take it over both Terminators and Predator.

I think it's bullshit that they edited out the "spring wind blows Subotai" speech from the original version. It's the best speech in the whole damn movie. Thank God for the director's cut.