DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Watched ELYSIUM last night. Blomkamp really needs to better understand the uses and abuses of social commentary and science fiction. If I get around to it, I've gotta put up a "Neill Blomkamp vs Paul Verhoeven" thread.

Also, I just checked Wiki to see what the hell Geena Davis has been up to after she fell off the face of the earth film-wise after this, and it's pretty awesome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geena_Davis Three kids in her mid-forties... damn.

Plus trying out for the Olympic archery team. She just put out a video on Funny or Die a couple months ago.

• Like 2

I just watched ONLY GOD FORGIVES. I feel that I'd have to watch it again to really formulate a coherent opinion. I also probably won't do that. Still, can't agree with anyone placing this on a "Worst Of" end of year list. Surely there is lazier stuff to fit the bill

I watched A Field In England the other day, I'd seen it advertised when it came out earlier this year, and I had been under the impression that it was some kind of straight historical drama. It's more like a trippy atmospheric almost-thriller set during the English civil war, it really took me by surprise. The tension comes and goes, and it wanders a bit, but the setting is used well, it looks beautiful and the small cast are all decent - Reece Shearsmith and Michael Smiley are especially good. The mushroom scene is amazing, if possibly seizure-inducing for some. Anyone else have an opinion on it?

Got home from work and walked into about the halfway point of Ang Lee's Hulk.

Nick Nolte pretty much saves this entire movie, he has the crazy dialed up to 11 and it's the most watchable part in the whole thing.

The effects actually hold up better than I thought they would. It definitely looked dated in that early 2000s CG way, but are pretty decent overall. I actually like the comic panel effects, I remember being very anti- after seeing it the first time however many years ago.

Whoa...ha ha ha...this underwater fight thing at the end is cheesy as fuck though...ha...

Marked for Death was on the other day and now Hard to Kill is on. Seagal just said "I'm gonna take you to the bank, senator... the BLOOD BANK." I think I love these movies.

Seagal before he got fat and could barely move was indeed the greatest thing ever.

Are all of these "Worst movie scenes of all time" so awesomely watchable? I can't fathom the mindset of whoever made that video, one of the worst scenes ever because wires? "Obviously there is no gravity in this room..." - I even read it in a whiney, nasal voice.

I'm off to watch more of these things, obviously.

EDIT: The first one is from On Deadly Ground, fucking hell.