DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-movies-that-followed-wrong-character_p2/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

I'd like to throw in: O-Ren from Kill Bill, since she had, by far, the most interesting story out of everyone. Also: Jason Clarke's character in Zero Dark Thirty. Scares the shit out of you for the first 20 minutes, then disappears for a couple of hours so we can focus on Maya, and only comes back for a few scenes at the end, even though he's arguably the most fascinating person in the whole film.

Wow, the first thing that came to mind when I saw that article was Captain Barbosa in the first Pirates movie. His character was sooooooooooooooo good, partly because Geoffrey Rush is the shit, but they focus so much on Depp, Bloom, and Knightly. 

WHAT THE FUCK. How?

I don't remember now - it HAS been decades since I've seen it. The whole audience got up and left though. Found out weeks later we had left early, leading to wtf? looks between my brother and I.

He probably walked out when Indy dropped the rocket launcher. 

"Well, he gave up. Nazi's win. What a downer. They should have brightened it up with a little Asian sidekick "

• Like 1

I'm sure to lose some people with this statement, but Temple of Doom isn't that good. Really, Raiders (despite its massive flaw) and Last Crusade (so awesome) are the crux of the series.

Although I like it more than you seem to, I think that's pretty much the consensus opinion.  Temple is definitely the weakest of the three Indiana Jones movies.

Do you remember at what point in the movie? Was it when Indy revealed to have fucked a 14 year old while doing his thesis? I probably would've walked out too.

Was she actually 14? I always assumed she was 16 or 17.

Which isn't that much better,  but still. 

Do you remember at what point in the movie? Was it when Indy revealed to have fucked a 14 year old while doing his thesis? I probably would've walked out too.

No, I don't remember.

WHAT THE FUCK. How?

I don't remember now - it HAS been decades since I've seen it. The whole audience got up and left though. Found out weeks later we had left early, leading to wtf? looks between my brother and I.

Before we were married, my wife rented GONE WITH THE WIND.  It was on VHS on two tapes, and she watched them out of order.  So it began with Scarlett O'Hara struggling on her farm at the beginning of Part 2, and ended with her right back there on the same farm ("As God is my witness...").  So she thought the whole movie was a poor farm girls series of fantasies, first about marrying a rich man, then about being a debutante courted by a bunch of men, and eventually about being a nurse...but somehow she always ended up back on the farm.

40 years ago this Christmas:

http://youtu.be/VsA3nxzgK-M

Times have changed and audiences have been desensitized and there is competition everywhere for eyes and dollars so movies don't have this kind of impact anymore. But even in 2000, during the re-release, I remember people getting freaked out. One of the greatest movies ever made, easily.

I'm sure to lose some people with this statement, but Temple of Doom isn't that good. Really, Raiders (despite its massive flaw) and Last Crusade (so awesome) are the crux of the series.

Although I like it more than you seem to, I think that's pretty much the consensus opinion.  Temple is definitely the weakest of the three Indiana Jones movies.

SO glad you said "three."

It's my favorite because it has an Asian co-star. Also Gimli delivering the line..."Bad Dates."

Glenn~~!

Temple of Doom is my favourite by far, like I could really take or leave the rest. It is absolutely ridiculous and so great. That monkey brains scene did a number on me as a kid.

It's on a whole 'nother level of ridiculous. My suspicion is that if both the words "Indiana Jones" were removed from the title and Ford from the film, it would be a lot less favorably received. I too remember the money brains scene, a definite WTF moment for me way back when.

Was she actually 14? I always assumed she was 16 or 17.

Which isn't that much better,  but still. 

I'd say between 14-16? Been a while since I watched it (Saw Temple just last year), but I remember it being a distinctively, uh, creepy number. 17 for the 1920s wouldn't have been so terrible, all things considered.

Pretty sure I saw Temple first too. I'm guessing it's because between the 3, it's the only one that was regularly in stock at Blockbuster. My observation about it's lack of quality is due to the fact that I saw it recently, and without Ford, it's not really good. Ridiculous, outlandish, bizarre? Yes. But not good.

Times have changed and audiences have been desensitized and there is competition everywhere for eyes and dollars so movies don't have this kind of impact anymore. But even in 2000, during the re-release, I remember people getting freaked out. One of the greatest movies ever made, easily.

My Nan (R.I.P.) bless her told me the stories when she was an unsher for The Exorcist screenings.

I'd say between 14-16? Been a while since I watched it (Saw Temple just last year), but I remember it being a distinctively, uh, creepy number. 17 for the 1920s wouldn't have been so terrible, all things considered.

Wikipedia has the relationship starting with Marion at 14 years old and ending when she was 16-17.

My Nan (R.I.P.) bless her told me the stories when she was an unsher for The Exorcist screenings.

One of the old priests at my high school in St. Louis swore he knew one of the priests involved in the case the book was based on.  But he insisted that the guy wouldn't speak about it on order of the church.  That didn't stop us from asking about it every ten minutes.  It was a good way to distract him from the normal bullshit he was feeding us bout how birth control causes cancer and how condoms cause toxic shock syndrome.