DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

It's not so much Dae-Su's skills that are affected, but post-hypnotic suggestion is used to conveniently wipe out people's memories on the spot and that doesn't really happen unless there has been significant trauma to the brain. 

Unless the lady hypnotist plans to hit Dae-Su in the head with the infamous claw hammer after she mojos him, he is still going to have a suppressed memory of what he's experienced. 

You can't just turn your sub-conscious on and off like that.

Spike Lee's remake is sub-par but at least Spike shows that his main character is conditioned via sleep deprivation and drugs to explain his memory lapses and it dispenses with the hypnosis = magic ending of the original because someone realized that hypnosis doesn't work like that.

Oldboy ranks up there with Monty Python & The Holy Grail on the Great Movies / Shitty Endings list.

I feel like I said this before in this very thread, but it truly is the fullest full-frontal of all-time.

No doubt.  I don't think there was a dude in the theater without their tongue on the floor.  I think five of us all said:

in unison.

I didn't even feel it when my girlfriend punched me in the arm for staring.

I took my daughter to go and see Frozen today before I had to go to work.  It was a perfectly acceptable if not somewhat calculated kid flick.  I think that the best part was that neither of the princesses were the usual wallflowers waiting to be saved and the story takes quite the left turn on you near the end.. 

Still, this movie is no Beauty & the Beast, much less Aladdin.  The musical numbers are kinda forgettable and we've seen all of the archaetypes before in Disney classics.

The short that plays before the movie, however, is FUCKING BRILLIANT~! and the trailer for Maleficent is on point!

(scrolling back on a thread I don't check that often to see the last time someone discussed it)

See, I saw it today and thought it was really charming and fun.  I may've had the rose colored glasses on for a couple of reasons, but I left on cloud nine and bought the soundtrack.  My only real complaint is that the big swerve felt like it made the story less interesting rather than more; other than that I enjoyed it thoroughly.  (And while I won't argue with you about some of the songs, "Let it Go" is a fucking monster of a song with or without the scene it goes with.)

So, James Gandolfini got nominated at the SAGs for best supporting actor for Enough Said. He's picked up some other nominations (Independent Spirit Awards) too. I'd really like to see him get nominated for an Oscar too since it was the one thing he didn't accomplish when he was alive.

No argument.  I own nearly all of those movies (just fucking waiting for The Abyss to get a fucking blu-ray release alfuckingready.  And, well, I've never gotten around to buying Piranha 2) and I'm a big fan of his visual style.

I didn't love Avatar, but I liked it.  Ditto Titanic.  But Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, T2, and True Lies...  That's one hell of a run.

Indy Jones > All

Tho I've always wanted a magical movie in which The Terminator finds himself as a bad guy in an Indiana Jones movie. But I don't know if the world could handle a Nazi Terminator. They would've won the war if they had him..

That was the basis of a Big Bang Theory episode where they point out that the movies title character and hero was completely irrelevant to the plot of the movie. Great movie but I'm not sure how a movie can be perfect when the guy the movie is named after and clear hero of the movie is completely irrelevant to the plot.