DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Since the Kennedy stuff was going in deep, I figured I'd move everything here: http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1008-kennedy-anniversary-thread/

Carry on about your adventures in cinema.

Watched She Done Him Wrong the other night. Mae West has to be one of the most intimidating sexual beings ever. Pam Anderson. Angelina Jolie. They seem kind of approachable. Mae West will devour you and make you feel like less of a man if she wants to.

Captain Phillips was the best movie I've seen this year, and it's not even close. I still have to find a theater with 12 Years a Slave, but it's #1 right now. It was so good that I have been calling people Irish since seeing it.

Captain Phillips.  This was great.  Great job by Tom Hanks (especially if you ignore his accent coming and going) and the four Somali pirate guys.  Really, the only thing hurting the movie is that you know the outcome going in.  Still, this was great.  The very last scene is off-the-charts great.  This movie was good enough that I need to downgrade Gravity to an 8/10 because this was a lot better.  9/10, maybe 9.5/10.

Finally saw it.  I had The Crash Reel as my #1 of 2013, but it's very difficult to argue that Captain Phillips isn't better.  No question it beats out Gravity and 12 Years A Slave.  Tabe pretty much covered it.  I thought certain parts were as intense as it was going to get, but it really did save the best for last.

Hey...you know what you shouldn't re-watch at 2:00 a.m. the night before Thanksgiving?

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM.

Like, what was I THINKING???????

In what reality is that going to be just, like, "whatever...I'll just go watch football now."

Idiot.

The worst past was that the first thing that popped up after the silence of the closing credits was a commercial for a Katy Perry special.  I've never felt more adrift.

• Like 1

I have never watched that movie more than twice, and I've owned it for many years.  It is all encompassing and absolutely soul crushing.  I've known a few people that've gone down certain parts of the road that movie presented and I can tel you, despite acknowledging its greatness as a movie, it is a journey i can barely stomach watching

I' ve seen Requiem dozens of time. Everytime I see it I see something new. And it has one of the all time great performances.

Yeah it gets damn dark and dirty. But I still find something beautiful about all of it, in a horribly tragic way. I think it's how loving Aronofaky is in the way he depicts the characters. It's like a sad love letter to all the people that have fallen so low.

What bugs me is that every time I watch it, I know going in that one of the main reasons I feel so bad for the characters is just because they're so pretty.  Like, there isn't really much to them other than beauty and a kind of stupid romantic naivete.

But it still gets me.  And it then in turn bugs me that I'm hard wired to feel bad for people just because my stupid brain associates angelic prettiness with goodness.  It's like watching stuffed kittens get set on fire.  There is some level on which it doesn't function anymore more deeply than that.  Arronofsky is kind of a fiend in that way.  He's not above exploiting my bio-chemistry to enhance the effect of his movie about the weakness of their biochemistry.

And then there is the overall thing about the frailty of the human body...how easy and automatic it is to destroy an individual with just a few doses of a few chemicals.  Chemistry is so much stronger than people.  We're so fucking fragile...and why not?  Why would we be anything but fragile?  We're infinitesimal accidents in a cosmic equation with no solution.

But, seriously, I just wanted everyone in PITCH PERFECT to get their arms chopped off.

We followed this with the Kiera Knighlty ANNA KARENINA which was pretty awful.  It gutted the point of the novel and kind of inverted it.  Just didn't get it...or didn't think its movie audience would want to get it...so why not flip it all around!

I just watched THE WORLD'S END.  It was very fun, but definitely at the bottom of the Frost/Pegg trilogy(I don't count Paul).  Nothing wrong with it, just not on the level of SHAUN OF THE DEAD or HOT FUZZ.  However, I thought the fight scenes were off the hook.  Jackie Chan would be proud of the choreography.  It's kinda sad that a comedy movie put together fight scenes that blow away anything I've seen in a big budget action movie in the last 15 years.

Getting through my Blu-Rays (yay unemployment) so some thoughts:

DR. STRANGELOVE is still brilliant and has some of the greatest single lines in movie history. Everything is just incredibly well done. I'm still sad that Kubrick didn't really explore comedy that much after this.

FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN COMPLETE really does make the original look like an unfinished piece of shit. That being said, it's really accessible only if you are a big fan of the series. Otherwise, it's not going to be thought of highly. Animation is really well done, too. Like the re-done ending, as well.

I still prefer THE GODFATHER to THE GODFATHER: PART II. I know that people will talk about how PART II is the superior film, but I think the performances were much better by the entire cast in the original, whereas PART II were Pacino and DeNiro tour de force performances. Obviously, that is the very definition of splitting hairs, but man alive are they both fantastic. But fuck PART III. It's akin to the Indiana Jones movie that shall not be named.

THE HANGOVER has not held up as much as I had hoped. It really suffers like a lot of movies of its ilk where once the surprise is gone, it's hard to feel the same way on multiple viewings. It's losing its luster.

Of the INDIANA JONES trilogy, TEMPLE OF DOOM seems like such a huge outcast when put up against RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE LAST CRUSADE. The one thing I loved about RAIDERS was that it really didn't waste any time getting to the conclusion. With CRUSADE, it was a bit drawn out, but it was an awesome last 45 minutes or so, beginning with the tanks. Sean Connery is the fucking man. Hard to choose which one I enjoyed more.

THE LION KING being the last of the Holy Trinity of Disney films that brought the animation studio back to prominence is still fantastic. Forgot how great the Timon and Pumbaa parts were. Scar, of course, is in the top tier of Disney villains.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL was sensational. I'm not sure if it's a better movie than Skyfall, but holy crap is it a great ride. Just non-stop stuff. The Dubai scenes were awesome visual spectacles and I really dug the ending. Hate that Brad Bird won't be back for MI:5, as he was awesome here. Not enough Michael Nyqvist, either. 

THE MUPPETS was just fun. I had seen it before so it was nice to watch it again, but Jason Segel did a great job of getting everyone together without diluting what made The Muppets awesome in the first place. Can't wait for the sequel.

Still have a lot to come down the pike, including the five-hour cut of Das Boot. Can't wait for that one.

Of Mermaid, Beast, ans Aladdin, which one are you leaving out of this trinity?

I would argue that Aladdin came after the resurrection of the studio and that Rescuers Down Under belongs in that "trinity" with Mermaid and Beast.