DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Singin' in the Rain is one of the greatest movies ever made.

I'm also that guy that genuinely loved Chicago, though it's not like I'd put these two films side by side or something.

Okay, so Rocky Horror and Singin' in the Rain. Though, for me I don't remember much of the music outside of the title song, it's more about the ridiculous dancing that really needs to be seen by everyone. Don't bother with The Artist, watch Singin' instead and you get kind of the same story but with better everything and so much more.

If Team America and Cannibal: The Musical count, I vote for them as well.

And for another Busby Berkeley pick, Gold Diggers of 1935, one of the more subversively enjoyable films of the Hays Code years. The whole thing is clearly about kids trying to sneak away to fuck. It is filled with suggestive imagery and fantastic snappy double entendres.

Haven't watched either in years, but GD of 1933 and Dames are probably similar (I think Dames was the one with Powell and Keeler trying to outwit a decency group).

I just picked up a whole passle of stuff from the local store (reviews to come) and the first thing watched was 

DRUG WAR (2013, Johnnie To)

I've read a lot of good things about this. They're all correct. The film begins with a bang and ends with a whimper, but that is all relative to the story, not relative to whether how good it is. Timmy (Louis Ko) is caught by the police during a completely unrelated drug operation and to save his hide he decides to cooperate due to draconian Chinese laws which would give him the death penalty for meth manufacturing. He leads main cop Captain Lei (Sun Honglei) into the bowels of his organization on an elaborate double-sting. Obviously, carnage ensues, but you don't know when and you don't know how. The film has a fantastic slow burn until the shit hits the fan, and when it does, it just sucks you in further. Trying to make sense of the sting at first was confusing but once you get it you realize you're in the hands of a master and let logic fly out the window just to see more. Ko's character turns are unexpected but they won't be after you see the whole picture and reflect. Bang-up film, one of the best of the year and I'm damn glad to have seen it for rental at some shitty Midwestern video store on the edge of town.

Captain America is still my favorite of the recent Avengers-based flicks.  Yes, above Iron Man and Avengers both.  I

I love the Cap movie too. It hit every note just right. I wish it had not included the stuff in modern times at the end, but I get why it was there. 

I do not like musicals. I do not like showtunes. I do not like Broadway. But I LOVE Rocky Horror. 

Same here.  I think this has to do with going to see it in a theater almost every Friday for a couple years of college.  I probably saw it almost 120 times and met many great friends.  Every time I would catch it on VH1 or something I'd just end up yelling the lines back at it and honestly I don't think I've ever seen it just normally.

I just missed two showings of Rocky here but the theater was SO FUCKING FULL that I seriously doubt I could have found a seat. Plus I don't like lines and I don't like crowds (but for this? c'mon). Hopefully with this success the Art will realize that as soon as the students come back to Champaign they can run the film twice every weekend for at least two months until Halloween.

In terms of modern musicals, I think South Park and any number of Disney features need to be mentioned, with Lion King being the one that stands out as having the most memorable music.

In terms of the classic musical movies, Fiddler has the best book by a pretty considerable margin, even better than My Fair Lady. I think you could take the songs out of both of those films and still have a watchable product.

The adaptation of My Fair Lady is just a bit to stuffy for my tastes.  The songs are spectacular.

I can't wrap my head around the idea that The Lion King's songs stand out, as I think it quite easily has a worse set of songs than Mermaid, Beast, or Aladdin.  Except Circle of Life, that one is amazing.  But, even the good ones aren't as good as the ones in the other three films.  Scar's got a good villain song, but compared to Poor Unfortunate Souls or Gaston?  Please. 

• Like 1

Friends on the Other Side from the newer Princess and the Frog is a personal fave but I do think Gaston and Souls are fantastic.

Hakuna Matatta is one most people point to. Not a great song but it works well enough.

Back on my original post - Do people consider Blues Brothers a musical? The songs don't always really move the story or develop characters, they are just kinda... there but it all seems to fit and I personally love it.

Oh, and, yeah, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is a masterpiece.

The opening set piece, followed by the ticket booth guy hitting that deadpan "NO!" is one of the biggest laugh out loud moments I've ever had. To the point I had to pause the movie and take a minute to collect myself.