DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Evocateur - Documentary on the life of Morton Downey Jr. This is GREAT. If you watched the show back in the 80s, this is a total must-see. Lots of great footage and stories. I had not realized his show was on the air less than two years. Go watch this on Netflix now! 9/10.

Both daughters had sleepovers last night, and Zoe's friend suggested we watch Parental Guidance with Billy Crystal, Bette Midler and Marisa Tomei...and that dude who was the lead singer of the band in "That Thing You Do."  I've written Crystal off forever ago, thanks to those movies where he played DeNiro's shrink...but this was amazing. Crystal and Midler are out-of-touch grandparents who cannot handle their tech-whiz grandkids and have lost connection with their daughter, Tomei. It's very funny and ridiculously touching. I loved it.

• Like 1

I guess discussion about this movie was on the old board, because I wasn't able to find anything here.

I just saw The Place Beyond the Pines and I think this just replaced Star Trek Into Darkness as my favorite movie of the year so far.

Absolutely amazing movie!

Also watched The Italian Job last night. Love this movie. It's like 90% style and 10% substance, but I don't care. It's got Marky Mark, my favorite actor going. It's Edward Norton, who I also like a lot. And scorching hot Charlize Theron at the absolute peak of her hotness through the entire movie. Their in some fun car stuff, a couple cool heists, and you've got movie gold. 9/10.

Random stuff recently:-I finally got my ass out to a theater and saw Gravity. It's pretty damn good. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, for a few minor reasons; mostly because this is from Cuaron, and this simply isn't the blowaway piece of art that Children of Men was. It's more accomplished at a technical stylistic exercise, but it's so much easier to stitch together a buncha greenscreen shots into a single "unbroken take" than it is to actually film the damn thing in real time on the streets of London. Gravity felt like it had less To Say than CoM did, less personally ambitious; the backstory about Sandra Bullock's family felt forced and phony, and this was hardly Clooney's best dramatic work. But Sandra Bullock herself is just as good as everyone says, I haven't loved a scifi heroine this much since Sigourney Weaver's Ripley. The 3D is astounding (still not quite as magnificent as the next-level work in Avatar, but Gravity is the new second-best) and the tension is kept at a high level for a brutally long period of time.-Red 2 is a mediocre retread of the first film, doing the same things and doing them in a sullen, sleepy fashion this time around. Anthony Hopkins's lazy ass is no replacement for Morgan Freeman in the first film, Catherine Zeta-Jones's part is a thankless throwaway, there's nowhere near enough Helen Mirren or Brian Cox, and Bruce Willis barely even seems awake half the time. John Malkovich at least still seems to be having fun and Mary Louise-Parker is absolutely the best thing in the movie, just adorably awkward and dorky and lovable. But overall the plot sucks and there's not enough action.Now, on video:-The Expendables 2 still fuckin' rules. It's everything the first Expendables wanted to be, evenly balancing out the screentime for the various stars and providing plenty of kick-ass old-school action with barely a hint of visible CGI anywhere in sight. It even has a far superior villain, with Jean Claude Van Damme giving the only genuinely good performance I've ever seen him do (not counting JCVD). It gets so many things right: even though the young rookie guy is obviously just there to die, the movie really broods over his loss and his partners keep celebrating his memory right up til the credits. Everyone gets a great moment to shine (some get several) and the whole thing is just a bottle of awesomesauce.-Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is the best film of the year and is the single greatest work of art that Whedon has ever created.Yes, I said it.I'm gonna let that sink in for a minute.This completely blows Kenneth Branagh's version right out of the goddamn water. And I love the Branagh version. But it doesn't hold a candle to the shockingly raw emotional depth that Whedon gets out of this material. (Would it be an insult to say this is the best script he's ever worked with? I mean, he IS known first and foremost as a great writer, nearly the Shakespeare of this era... but this is real Shakespeare we're talking about here.) A magical ensemble cast and brilliant staging combine to make this one of the funniest goddamn movies I've seen in years. If you aren't hurting for breath from laughter after seeing Alexis Denisof's Chaplin-level physical comedy and timing (yes, I said it!) and especially Nathan Fillion playing Dogberry as a CSI Miami character (with a gloriously mustached Tom Lenk as his sidekick!), then your soul is fucking broken. Reed Diamond finally stepped up and proved himself to be a legit pro by handling the iambic pentameter better than anyone, fulfilling the promise that he's been sluggishly shown over the years. Firefly fans will thrill to Sean Maher plays an absolutely fascinating villain, and hey Angel fans, here's Fred and Wesley finally getting a happy ending.It's not perfect, of course. No movie is. Clark Gregg is disappointingly bland at times (being required to behave in a brutally misogynistic fashion doesn't help), casting Fran Kranz as the straight man in a bitterly non-comedic part seems like a weird choice, and I dunno what the hell Joss was thinking when he cast that debuting amateur as Hero; she does have a certain Jane Adams-like charm, but she can't read half of her dialogue for shit. Between the three of them, the scenes where Leonato and Claudio are berating Hero just become painful to watch; and that's especially not helpful since those scenes are some of Shakespeare's very worst work, as the characters just scream shrilly at each other for aeons and aeons over archaic morals and dumb misunderstandings. Also, Anthony Stewart Head was supposed to play Leonato, and it burns me like acid to imagine the great Rupert Giles in that part instead of cold-hearted Agent Coulsen.And you know what? Still don't give a fuck, this movie is a 10/10. Seriously, why haven't people been raving about this more? Were they really offended by Joss shooting the whole film at his own house? That's right, folks, he literally filmed an entire Hollywood theatrical motion picture in his own damn home. Even fuckin' Werner Herzog hasn't had the balls to do that; has any superstar celebrity director done the same? It's hard to imagine Spielberg or Tarantino opening up like that, and with this film I think Whedon does finally join those guys as legitimate cinematic artists. Some people also seemed pissed off at the fact that he shot it in black and white; and I say those people can go fuck themselves, this is the most visually gorgeous film that I've watched in a long damn time. Even Gravity wasn't as pretty to look at as this one.I've always been a Whedon fanboy, but my fanaticism for his work has never been unconditional. There were entire seasons of Buffy and Angel that I outright hated, I thought Serenity and Avengers were both kinda underwhelming considering what I expect out of Joss. But Much Ado About Nothing is the real shit, man. I love this movie, and want to proclaim my love for it like goddamn Ron Burgundy screaming to the hilltops. If you haven't seen it yet: friend, look to it.

Not sure I can call it better than The Body as far as Whedon as serious artist goes.  That's still easily the best directed episode of television ever made.

But he makes a strong choice (play it first and foremost as a modern romantic comedy, and let everything else, everything deeper, flow out of that) and he gets a spectacular lead performance from Acker, and

Fuck, I'm a theatre major who worships Whedon, there is no chance I could possibly be anything other than in love with that movie.

Not sure I can call it better than The Body as far as Whedon as serious artist goes.  That's still easily the best directed episode of television ever made.

But he makes a strong choice (play it first and foremost as a modern romantic comedy, and let everything else, everything deeper, flow out of that) and he gets a spectacular lead performance from Acker, and

Fuck, I'm a theatre major who worships Whedon, there is no chance I could possibly be anything other than in love with that movie.

Ditto with most of this; I've done theater in my time (what position you studying for?) and "The Body" really is the only other contender for "single best thing Whedon's ever done" (although I would hear arguments for Dr Horrible, "Once More With Feeling", "Not Fade Away", and "Objects in Space").  And I didn't mention Acker, which is insane, because she's sooooo good.  I mean, seriously: sorry Emma Thompson, your ass just got beat.  I know using the Wesley/Fred subtext for extra emotional heft is cheating (although Whedon claims he didn't realize that until after he made the film), but I'd counter by saying that Branagh cheated when he cast himself and his wife in those roles.  And the music is great (Whedon wrote it) and changing the villain's anonymous henchman into slinky Riki Lindhome was a goddamn stroke of genius and the modernized touches are done perfectly and everyone sounds so incredibly natural while mouthing Shakespearean dialogue that even the dumbasses in the audience will understand what they're saying, and that entire scene where Denisof is wildly flinging himself around into wackier and wackier hiding spots while unsubtly trying to eavesdrop while his friends obviously know he's there but are pretending they don't, and that amazing kiss-hug-makeout thing they do when Benedict and Beatrice finally admit their love and oh my god I will rant all night, for such length that I'll probably get a ticket.  (I'm at the college library, parked without a parking pass, and the enforcement on weekend overnights is inconsistent.)  But yeah, godDAMN this was awesome and everyone needs to buy a copy pronto, Walmart's got it for twelve bucks.  

The Body has great moments (particularly Anya's rant, which is very poignant), but it's just too reliant on long silences and feels like something trying to be pretentious. I have no clue why they threw in the random vampire at the end since it drags the whole thing down.

Also, I like Sarah Michelle Gellar, but her whole "look sad and blink at lot" method of acting gets tiresome here.

I thought The Sopranos' Proshai, Livushka was overall a better look at the subject. From Silvio bitching that he has to miss the big game to go to Livia's funeral, to everyone struggling to think of nice things to say as well as Carmella's (oddly touching) epitaph that, for all her icy stubbornness, Livia knew she fucked up her life bad, it was just a great, often funny episode of TV.

Duly noted. Though, as well, that distinction belongs to the episode featuring that shattered visage lying on the sand.

Look on Rian Johnson's work, ye Mighty, and despair.

Speaking of, I think there's a case to be made that the 3 episodes of BREAKING BAD he directed are far better than his own 3 movies.

So I just now finally saw TED.  How the hell did I not know about the whole FLASH GORDON thing?

Whatever else went right or wrong about this movie.  That was beautiful.

As I continue to watch, I'm liking this a lot.  After like ten years of Judd Apatow telling the same story about a 20 or 30 someething male who cannot grow up...that one life phase that never stops paying off...this movie sort of calls in all the bets left on that by distilling it into its most literal possible form.

There is a kind of conceptual simplicity in that, which works because they play it so straight, with all the same emotional moments that you would get in KNOCKED UP or I LOVE YOU, MAN or whatever.

Dude Angel is the best. So much better than any other critically acclaimed horse shit you watch.

No, it isn't.Vic I love you, but you have the worst opinions on these matters. Nothing in Angel was better than anything on The Unit.

It had a giant stone demon stab a vampire in the throat.