DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

To be fair I don't remember learning much about America (or most countries for the matter) in school. I just like History so I read about it and watch documentaries. 

The same here except living in one of the most fucked up states in the Union got me interested in learning certain shit. However, it just fascinates me that they still teach the same shit straight out of the textbook like it hasn't been debunked time after time.

Is it fair to assume that's what the average American knows?

Shit, Portugal basically invented mass slave trade in the 16th century.

Yeah, pretty much.  I literally don't remember the Netherlands ever being mentioned ONCE in any history class ever.  Nor either of its two little neighbors.  Except for maybe about how the Nazis skipped through there in their laughably easy stroll around the Maginot Line.  

Ended up being pleasantly surprised by V/H/S. I really didn't expect jack despite a glowing dissertation on the first segment from a close friend of mine but most of this worked, despite my hatred for the found-footage subgenre. The start of the wraparound immediately reminded of "While the Cat's Away...!", an old Vault of Horror story and then the following segment sucked me right in. The twists are engaging, saving the second and (almost) the third stories. Sexual politics seem to be a theme overall and in the fourth story things get REALLY fucked-up in that respect. Wraparound kind of falls flat but it doesn't matter much given the talent at hand overall. 

I liked Julien Donkey Boy was more than Jingus, but then Gummo was one of my favorite films of the '90s so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I will add that the disabled people in the film didn't bother me; they were probably quite happy to appear in a film and it doesn't feel like they were taken advantage of. Blind people rapping and an armless guy playing drums with his feet is an example of talent, not exploitation. If anything it's easier to feel sorry for the racist rednecks in Gummo who are too ignorant to not spout their horrible shit in front of a camera (but then, I can't feel sorry for them either -- they're still racist).

The luck of living in the hometown of Roger Ebert: tomorrow ERASERHEAD is playing at the Art Theater. Life, on rare occasions, is great.

Battle of Seattle: Not much of a movie, does it's best to protray everyone fairly, but Andre 3000 sums up what the movie achieves with his line "Four days ago, nobody knew what the hell the WTO was. Now, they still don't know what it is, but they know it's bad."

Although having said that, Woody Harrelson is fucking awesome in this movie. How has he not won an Oscar yet? He's the greatest. 

The thing I forgot to post about the other day was King Arthur, with Keira Knightly and Wade Barrett Clive Owen. It's funny how much it looks like a shoddy rip-off of Game of Thrones, even though it predates the show by nearly a decade. It has a couple of common cast members (literally the first person you see in the whole film is Yoren, and Stannis turns up with long hair and a big beard too), and has Ray Stevenson in it, who's not in Game of Thrones but it the most GOT-ish actor in the world. And it's all about how dangerous it is to go North of the Wall (and they don't call it Hadrian's Wall, just The Wall) and then when they do it's all ice and mountains like southern Scotland isn't really. 'Tis OK. Wierd seeing Clive Owen as the action hero because he has this tight throat strangulated voice thing (I do too) and I think of that as geeky sounding.

Mary-Louise Parker says she is "retiring" from acting.

The reason? The internet is mean.

No she isn't. It's a repost of a repost of a repost of a quote with no context. 

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!

I mean, we've been trying since she became The Miz of THE WEST WING.

But to have all that hard work, what with the blogging, and the tweeting...to have it all pay off...

Posted Image

What???

How do you not like her in the West Wing? She's a serious advocate for women's rights legislation... who has her tits constantly ready to bust out of her blouse. In the White House. She's fantastic!

Good couple months for horror movies. The Conjuring was pretty fucking awesome, falling just behind Sinister for my favourite James Wan movie and basically cementing him as my favourite mainstream horror director. It did a good job building characters so that you actually feel invested in them when shit comes unglued. And oh boy do things get DERANGED. The trailers were wonderfully spoiler free and offered pretty much nothing of the INCREDIBLY fucked up horror stuff in here. A lot of the jump scare quality of Insidious but with more build and emphasis on character and a better ending. With this and Sinister, Wan has pretty much delivered back to back great horror movies (with Sinister bordering on perfect for me) and I'm super pumped for Insidious 2.

V/H/S/2 was really fucking good too. Learned from the mistakes of the original with little to no sexist bullshit and four shorts instead of five, giving them more room to breathe and delivering some amazingly innovative horror. The third short in particular is absolutely must see for horror fans, being pretty much the most fucked up thing ever. Crazy apocalyptic death cults, man. If they can keep delivering quality like this, I'd be happy to see a new V/H/S flick each year.

I've been watching a mixed bunch of shit lately. For some of them, I've literally just closed my eyes and scrolled through Netflix and watched whatever I've landed on.

Hall Pass Strange mix of some genuine emotional romantic comedy type stuff with dick jokes (and actual dicks in those jokes) and diarrhea. Then I noticed at the end that it was directed by the Farrelly Brothers. That explains that, I guess. That woman from The Office is cute.

Attack The Block Been wanting to watch this for a long time, but never got around to it. Directed by Joe Cornish, of Adam & Joe, and yet I was let down a bit by it. I guess I was expecting more comedy, or better comedy.

Takers Perfectly fine heist movie, that seems to have a bad rep on IMDB regarding bad acting. To be honest, I had no issues, only noting that T.I.'s delivery was forced. It wasn't until I saw the credits that I realized that douchebag Chris Brown was in it. Had I known that I may have felt differently while watching it.

Harsh Times Christian Bale plays a returned Army Ranger who has some mental issues, to put it mildly. He is scary as hell in this, and I just happened to hear his Terminator audio meltdown again this week, and it leaves me thinking that this film may be him just dialed up a little bit. Worth watching.

30 Minutes or Less I remember liking the trailers for this movie, then hearing some "not that good" reviews, but I thought it was pretty funny. I think this was my first proper introduction to Aziz Ansari. Guy's hilarious. Still can't stand Danny McBride though.

The Forgotten One of those movies where the premise is so intriguing, that they should just leave it at that. A woman has memories of a son that everyone else tells her never existed. See, that's interesting. The actual unraveling of the mystery is rubbish though. Characters here see some wild shit, and then just plod along to the next scene without raising an eyebrow.

Hanna I wanted to love this, and it was going well for a while, but it all took a dive with the introduction of the British family, some coming of age travelogue stuff and a gay bounty hunter. Chemical Brothers soundtrack is awesome though.

Piranha 3DD Jesus Christ, why did I even bother? Even the nudity isn't that interesting. Just awful, awful shite. It's got 3.9 on IMDB, and honestly that's too high. I gave it a 2 there.

So on that note, I think I need to go back to watching some high brow film to wash the taste out of my mouth.

• Like 1

There's also that he made so much money when he was red hot I can't believe that he can possibly give a shit one way or the other at this point. He hasn't really taken a lot of work on the last few years, and I have the sense he does the bare minimum to keep himself invested in being a celebrity then goes back to doing whatever it is that he does.

Watched 'The Three Stooges' today.  It's weird.  The stuff with the stooges stooging it up was silly slapsticky fun, as was Larry David as Mother Mary Mengele.  But the parts where they try to give it pathos, replete with "emotional" music was really weird and offputting.  But, it was offset with Sofia Vergara jiggling around, so yeah... 

• Like 1

Watched 'The Three Stooges' today.  It's weird.  The stuff with the stooges stooging it up was silly slapsticky fun, as was Larry David as Mother Mary Mengele.  But the parts where they try to give it pathos, replete with "emotional" music was really weird and offputting.  But, it was offset with Sofia Vergara jiggling around, so yeah... 

Ay-yi-yi that nun in the swimsuit! So conflicted!

When I went to see it in the theatre, it was all old people and little kids.  There was one group that came in that was obviously the men of four generations of one family that shared a love of the stooges, which was neat. 

This was the summer in which the two super-huge/mega-hyped superhero movies (IRON MAN 3 and MAN OF STEEL)  left me, respectively, indifferent and thoroughly annoyed.  Bobby, hang up the suit until Joss bangs out the AGE OF ULTRON script.  Zach: never, EVER shoot a huge action movie in hand-held 3D again.  (Snyder may have finally worn out the good will he earned from me by not fucking up the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake.)

On the plus side, the DESPICABLE ME and RED sequels were both good, unassuming fun, and MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is why art house theaters were invented.

Aside from WORLD'S END, is there anything worthwhile scheduled for the August burn-off?

Aside from WORLD'S END, is there anything worthwhile scheduled for the August burn-off?

The slasher flick YOU'RE NEXT, which opens the same day as World's End.  It screened at one of the midnight shows at the Toronto Film Festival in 2011, people loved it, and then Lionsgate bought it and sat on it for two years.  I've been waiting all that time to see it.

KICK-ASS 2 could be worth a look too.