DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Eli Roth's homage to 70's Italian cannibal exploitation movies, The Green Inferno, (like there needed to be a tribute to Cannibal Holocaust...) has now got a distributor and should see a wide release.

Hurry up and make Thanksgiving already, Eli.

• Like 1

it was dollar night at the discount theater last night so my nephew treated me to Pacific Rim.  There are major plot holes, things that just don't make any sense (these gigantic robots that must weigh millions of pounds can be flown by 8 helicopters?!?!?!), and so on, but it's still a lot of fun.  The effects in general are excellent, the monsters and robots generally look cool, and there's plenty of fighting.  As a 2013 American Godzilla movie, I thought it worked just fine, especially for a buck.  6/10.

Eli Roth's homage to 70's Italian cannibal exploitation movies, The Green Inferno, (like there needed to be a tribute to Cannibal Holocaust...) has now got a distributor and should see a wide release.

Saw it at the film festival, and I'll just say this... the only 70's Italian cannibal movie that I've actually seen is Cannibal Ferox.  When I hear "horror movie about a tribe of cannibals," I get certain images in my head.  The kills in Green Inferno lived up to those mental images much more than Cannibal Ferox did.  There is definitely no cutting away from the gore like there may have been in Hostel.

I don't know what to do with this, so I'm putting it here: Somebody guide me toward which Halloween II* Blu version is probably the better to get. I guess I must be thinking VQ, because "Terror in the Aisles" is a huge sell point for me, but not if the image is no greater than this shit DVD Goodtimes release I own.

*If you don't know that I mean the original one, please PM me your street address.

I have the original blu-ray with Terror in the Aisle.  VQ is better than my universal DVD was, but nothing notable.

Sadly, I have not been able to justify to myself buying a different, one year later, blu-ray of the same film in order to compare.

• Like 1

I have the original blu-ray with Terror in the Aisle.  VQ is better than my universal DVD was, but nothing notable.

Sadly, I have not been able to justify to myself buying a different, one year later, blu-ray of the same film in order to compare.

Whoa TitA!!!!.  I'm now realizing that bits of TERROR IN THE AISLES was probably some of the first horror I ever saw.   It was released in 1984 and, as a doc, I think it hit t.v. sooner than a regular movie because I'm pretty sure I saw bits of it on t.v. by 1985...and apart from the edited/expanded t.v. version of HALLOWEEN that was probably my first experience watching any horror.

This would be followed soon after by my first F13 (part V) which I watched the exact same night the Cardinals lost Game 7. The only reason I got to see that was because the whole family was at another family's house to watch Game 7...and the parents were distracted downstairs watching that and getting uber drunk...but once the game started to suck (which was pretty early on) the older girl whose house it was was like "You wanna watch Friday the 13th...?"

I don't think I could have been more thrilled if she had asked "you wanna make out?"  We did have to flip back to the game a couple of times when we heard footsteps.

It was so forbidden an dsubversive and awesome and I freaked out when that dude was getting scared in the outhouse.  I was still young enough that I knew I had a few outhouse/camping experiences ahead of me before I was old enough to say "Enough of that shit!  I am breaking this cycle!"

I have the original blu-ray with Terror in the Aisle. VQ is better than my universal DVD was, but nothing notable.Sadly, I have not been able to justify to myself buying a different, one year later, blu-ray of the same film in order to compare.

I'm convinced. Just like that. Thanks, man.

No prob.

Also, I seriously have gotten as far as putting the newer blu-ray into my cart on Amazon, before going "this is fucking crazy.  You own the movie.  On Blu-ray.  And it's not even that great of a film."

More than once.

I don't know what to do with this, so I'm putting it here: Somebody guide me toward which Halloween II* Blu version is probably the better to get. I guess I must be thinking VQ, because "Terror in the Aisles" is a huge sell point for me, but not if the image is no greater than this shit DVD Goodtimes release I own. 

I don't own either Halloween II Blu's, but from the research I've done I found the Universal Blu has Terror in the Aisles with some deleted scenes versus Scream Factory's version with Making of Doc, deleted scenes, commentaries, and the kicker, for me at least, the tv cut of the film.

If I had the funds to splurge right now, I'd get the Scream Factory version, but I'm nostalgic for that TV cut.

I'd really like to support Scream Factory on principle alone but if the Universal one has Terror in the Aisles your decision is already made. Goddamn I love that 'movie' (compilation of movies? clip film? what do you call it?). It came on DirecTV last winter and I just about lost it because I figured there's no way that would ever be released again and I'd never find the VHS of it. If any of you don't know what Terror is, it's Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen sitting in a theater talking about "terror" films with their voiceovers and clips of pretty much every major horror film up to that point, plus throwing in nasty bits from stuff like Vice Squad and Nighthawks. It's a masterpiece of editing and a great love letter to the genre. 

Saw World War Z last night at my friend's insistence. He's kind of got a shite taste in horror, he likes way too much new crap and doesn't appreciate//prefer the classics like he should, so because of his worship of the film and the bad reviews (plus my film elitism) I didn't expect anything out of it. I never read the book and thought I wouldn't like it so had no expectations... and you know what? It was pretty damn good. What I realized by the end was that it was a summer popcorn Hollywood blockbuster trying to disguise itself as a credible zombie epic and I see why that's what pisses off a lot of people (despite the book being totally different and coming first). But if you see it for what it is, it's not that bad. Very good soundtrack which really surprised me, good acting, absolutely absurd situations that you somehow buy. I don't care if I ever see it again but it wasn't the complete trainwreck I expected.

Last night I watched a French film called Water Lilies or Naissance des Pieuvres on Netflix. I started falling asleep but from what I saw it was two teenage girls one who is a popular girl on the swim team and one who is an outcast who would like to be on the swim team and they become friends. Then they become something more than friends but one of the girls is not as in love as the other...

Watched Jezebel the other night. It's Bette Davis' compensation for not being allowed to do Gone With the Wind. I think it's a better movie. Henry Fonda is good and Fay Bainter, who plays Davis' aunt gives a beautifully nuanced performance that as the Aunt. She does so much with her face, some of her expressions just broke my heart. Anyway it's about a selfish woman in the south(sound familiar?) who tries to win back the man she scorned at any cost. I think what I really loved about this was that the ending wasn't so much about winning the man, but about becoming a decent human being. Anyway I highly recommend it.

Also I can't recommend The Rules of the Game enough.  Jean Renoir looks at the bourgeois dickbags of France just before the war in an upstairs/downstairs kind of affair. Think Downton Abbey Louis Bunuel style. The last hour  or so is incredible, with some great tracking shots and so much going on no mater where your focus is. I'd definitely recommend a double bill of this and The Exterminating Angel.

Pitch Perfect was not as funny as I'd hoped. Anna Kendrick's reactions to anything were hilarious, almost as funny as people reacting to her as some kind of alterna-chick. Oh god she has multiple piercings in her ear. What a freak.  At the end of the day it felt Bring It On, but with lesser everything. Also no pay off with the main douchebag, what the hell? Also Asian people are portrayed as pretty shitty or fucking bizarre. I had fun, but overall it felt pretty empty.

I watched TRANCE last night and really enjoyed it. I mean, it's basically a MEMENTO knockoff, but it's a MEMENTO knockoff directed by DANNY BOYLE, so it's a blast to watch, regardless.

And I'm going to assume there was some fancy digital age body doubling going on for Rosario Dawson, because that was the fullest full frontal nudity I've ever seen.

Yeah, it's off to Netflix after I get off shift at 4AM.  Rosario Dawson naked and Vincent Cassel being awesome sounds like a no-brainer.

And Rope is fucking awesome.  I also love Vertigo even though the ending bothers me. I have no problems with Judy dying buit Gavin gets away with murder. 

I had Trance in my hand at the video store yesterday but opted for other things: The Iceman, American Mary, and Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp. 

The Iceberg doc (made by Ice-T) was fantastic. I read a little of Pimp at a friend's house years ago and tried to find it at the local library to no avail. That's about the extent I knew about Iceberg Slim until this. It's a fascinating watch that'll give you flashbacks to reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X through the entire beginning, which is filled with animation in the style of the Johnny Cash Folsom Prison doc. There's a lot of good stuff with his gorgeous daughters, who obviously don't all get along as one is interviewed separately from the other two, and his ex-wife who started getting him to write. You can see the man himself's intense magnetism in the old footage of him. Really good. 

The Iceman I really really wanted to like but it was just shit. Michael Shannon's great, Winona Ryder is fantastic, but they give the old Hollywood attempt to humanize the monster and it comes off like some garbage like Kill the Irishman. This film should have been like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer instead. I mean this is a movie with Roy DeMeo as a main character and they don't even mention the fact that the dude's main job was to cut up bodies in a bathtub and vanish them. And not only that they make him a nemesis to a non-made-man. It's not all bad but goddamn this was a disappointment.

American Mary is for later. Getting an early jump on October I guess...

Newer movie thoughtsLords of Salem: I wanted to see Meg Foster naked, and I did, finally. Also, I cannot lie, when Dee Wallace raised that castiron, I got a chub. Mostly the movie left me bored. The two parts where they have a midget in a costume I laughed profusely. Music video excesses also drag shit down. Also, witch was totally gozer.ICEMAN: Pretty much a perfect movie. Everybody in it was perfect. Now obviously I loved the Iceman book and it still kicks the everlovin' shit out of this film. STILL GOOD. I mean I could've sworn that he got busted at a pancake house without Jerry Lee Lewis's child bride. I hate that kind of shit where someone says the book was better but... NO FUCKING SHIT the book is better. Like, I ain't even bullshitting.