DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

The missus and I watched Requiem for a Dream one night and we were both thoroughly disturbed, especially at the ending sequence with the trance-like beat playing over all of the shitty events of these shitty people's lives. The next day I had the worst migraine of my life and had to go to the ER because I thought I was dying from an aneurysm. Coincidence? I doubt it.

I went out on a date with a coworker once and we went back to her place to watch a movie. She chose Requiem for a Dream and then afterwards she wanted to hook up. WAS NOT HAPPENING, that movie got into my head and took away my will to live.
  • Like 1

Discovered a local theater that screens classics as well as first run stuff. Saw Vertigo last night. It's part of a Hitchcock fest they're running. I've always read that Hitchcock was down on this moive, especially on Jimmy Stewart, but he nails the obsessive ex cop thing. I don't know if its just in comparison to other roles, but he's super creepy in this.

Upcoming movies include Psycho, Halloween, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist and Gremlins. Good thing you can go in with 2 people and get movie, popcorn and drink for less than $25. I may be there a lot!

There are a couple theaters around me that do similar things, all of which sell beer as well as normal concessions.  I think the best experience I had was going with a bunch of friends to see Purple Rain, during which several of my pals who had a few loudly singing along.  What else I always dig about these showings is the atmosphere they have there as opposed to a first run screening where everyone is having a good time.

Requiem For A Dream actually scared my friend straight.  He'd been partying increasingly harder all summer that year, saw 'Requiem', got kinda depressed, gave up partying, and he's married with kids now.  I think I still deserve credit for that, it was me who chose the film.

Had a horror film weekend

Friday the 13th is actually not a bad film (Yeah, I'd never seen it...never seen any of the series actually, save the remake).  It's not excessively gory, there's a neat little story there, passable characterization, really cool music and a great ending.  The only thing I had a problem with was the increasingly tinier shorts...on the men.

Friday the 13th 2 was a pretty quick drop-off from the first one.  It's still better than your average slasher flick, but not much better.  Also, why does that girl, as part of her pre-intercourse routine, replace the perfectly passable pair of panties she's wearing for a pair of BROWN, ill-fitting, leathery-looking pair of underwear.  As my sister said: "Ah, brown, the colour of seduction!"

Creepshow 2 was really, pretty bad.  I actually actively felt bad for George Kennedy in the first vignette: "Come on, George, you won an Oscar! You're better than this!"  All three vignettes were pretty shitty, though the last one with the woman who hits and kills a hitchiker who returns from the dead to repeatedly say "Thanks for the RIDE, baby!" was at least entertaining.

I watched Natural Born Killers for the first time on forever. Had totally forgotten Downey was in it, let alone that he was so good in it. He's going to have one of those Aerosmith careers, isn't he? Where he was succesful, took loads of drugs, fell off the face of the world, came back and started being really commercially succesful stuff, and everyone likes him, but... you look back at what he's done, and you think he was actually better when he was getting wasted.

Also, I always wondered why the opening credits to True Blood looked so familiar. Now I know. NBK did them first. And really, a case could be made that Kill Bill's stylistic shifts and sudden animated section are in fact Tarantino ripping off Oliver Stone doing Tarantino. Although considering Quentin's always been a magpie-ish, tribute paying filmmaker, it makes sense that as he matured and his ego developed he would start to increasingly pay tribute to himself.

Re: Downey Jr.

I would agree, obviously he's great, but my favourite roles of his are still Chaplin and Less than Zero (which is probably a case of him just playing himself). He's just a damn fine actor no matter what, though. He kills in Zodiac and it cannot be said enough how perfectly cast he is as Tony Stark, literally no one else could have pulled it off as well and his history has a lot to do with it.

Well, if I'm being honest, I'd say Back to School...but that's not really an acting tour de force, it's just a fucking great movie.

Man, there is no universe where F13 is better than Part 2.

Pt 2 is only better than the first film because it makes you muse over the perfect storm of events that has a retard serial killer clad in overalls and a pillowcase over his head make it to suburban New Jersey undetected while carrying the perfectly preserved severed head of his mother, find the house of the woman that killed his mom without benefit of maps or GPS (he asked for directions, I guess..), enter said fomer survivor girl's home undetected, kill her, and leave with his mother's head and the body of the now deceased survivor girl in tow.

That generates more WHAT THE FUCK~? talk than Michael Myer's ability to operate a motor vehicle, the "where does he hide the mask and coat so fast?" bullshit from Valentine, and the coal mine from My Bloody Valentine that is somehow linked to every fucking building in town.

The missus and I watched Requiem for a Dream one night and we were both thoroughly disturbed, especially at the ending sequence with the trance-like beat playing over all of the shitty events of these shitty people's lives. The next day I had the worst migraine of my life and had to go to the ER because I thought I was dying from an aneurysm. Coincidence? I doubt it.

I went out on a date with a coworker once and we went back to her place to watch a movie. She chose Requiem for a Dream and then afterwards she wanted to hook up. WAS NOT HAPPENING, that movie got into my head and took away my will to live.

This was shown on UK TV at Christmas time. What a contrast between the film and the time of a year. A bleak film with one of the best scores, Lux Aeterna.

Pt 2 is only better than the first film because it makes you muse over the perfect storm of events that has a retard serial killer clad in overalls and a pillowcase over his head make it to suburban New Jersey undetected while carrying the perfectly preserved severed head of his mother, find the house of the woman that killed his mom without benefit of maps or GPS (he asked for directions, I guess..), enter said fomer survivor girl's home undetected, kill her, and leave with his mother's head and the body of the now deceased survivor girl in tow.

That generates more WHAT THE FUCK~? talk than Michael Myer's ability to operate a motor vehicle, the "where does he hide the mask and coat so fast?" bullshit from Valentine, and the coal mine from My Bloody Valentine that is somehow linked to every fucking building in town.

Yeah, okay, one weird scene at the beginning.  Otherwise, it's better lit, and filmed by an actual director and not Sean Cunningham who can't figure out how to frame a 2-shot for a conversation, much less a tense murder scene.  Plus, it doesn't have the worst "mystery" set-up in the history of film.

Yeah, okay, one weird scene at the beginning. 

Jason has the common sense to take the kettle off of the stove.  Wouldn't want the house burning down and making the police think he was also an arsonist, would we?

F12 PT2 accepts the fact that it is a slasher movie and doesn't aspire to be anything different.  That's about the only thing its got going for it.

The mystery set-up wouldn't have been so bad if Betsy Palmer hadn't played her role as Jason's mother with prefaced insanity.  What's dumb is how PT2 transitions from Jason's mom being the killer to Vorhees himself butchering camp goers.  In the first movie, the perfectly slasher movie acceptable scenario of Jason's mom having the Hollywood version of schzophrenia and "Jason" being a persona was right there.

We are then introduced to mongaloid titan Jason Vorhees as an actual human being and wonder how the fuck did his mom get him into Summer Camp in the first place if he is so hideously deformed, how did he survive the drowning incident, how did he survive in the woods all that time without even his deranged mother finding him despite the fact that she regularly stalked the camp grounds, how he becaame a psycho titan despite scientific evidence that says that most human ferals grow up malnourished because they never develop proper hunting or foraging skills.

Part 2 just asks too much from you in order for you to make that magical leap from Jason's mom being the killer to Jason himself being the killer.

The more I revisit Part 2, the more I think it is one of the weaker links in the chain (New Beginning is the worst of the lot).  Thank God for the badass F13 reboot that retied everything in a proper bundle.

For those of you who have not seen Insidious and want to check it out before watching the sequel, it is now available in your Fear.NET On Demand queue. 

Just check out your Fear.NET section on FiOS or sattelite or check wherever Xfinity has put the Free Movies section these days and look under the Horror sub-section.

despite scientific evidence that says that most human ferals grow up malnourished because they never develop proper hunting or foraging skills.

I don't know how yet.  But I'm working this clause into the next conversation I have.

I would give you a like for this, but I can't because of that last line you wrote in the same post.

Downey was playing himself in Zodiac as well as in Less Than Zero, just with different drugs. Also, "I'll put a hot pepper up your arse" from NBK is one of the greatest quotes in cinema history IMO. Yes, I have a moral compass, but where films are concerned...

My only comment about Friday 2 is it rules. 

Creepshow 2 is equally good after the first segment. How can you not like "The Raft"?

Requiem For a Dream - Have heard lots of great things about this one over the years but can't say I was impressed. There's some plot holes and in the end, I think it just true too hard to be artistic. Not bad, with some really good performances, but not the beat movie I'd been told. 6/10, maybe 7/10.

Ellen Burstyn pulls up the average.  She's a solid 25 out of 10 in that.

I'll give you that.  She was really, really great.

Requiem For a Dream - Have heard lots of great things about this one over the years but can't say I was impressed. There's some plot holes and in the end, I think it just true too hard to be artistic. Not bad, with some really good performances, but not the beat movie I'd been told. 6/10, maybe 7/10.

Ellen Burstyn pulls up the average.  She's a solid 25 out of 10 in that.

I'll give you that.  She was really, really great.

Best performance in the film.

despite scientific evidence that says that most human ferals grow up malnourished because they never develop proper hunting or foraging skills.

I don't know how yet.  But I'm working this clause into the next conversation I have.

I would give you a like for this, but I can't because of that last line you wrote in the same post.

It was a vicious piece of work that at least gave some lip service to slasher film logic, had the balls to kill off one of the people you just knew was going to survive, and didn't murder the black guy or the Chinese guy first.  I left the theater not hating the reboot and that was enough for me.  I am very forgiving most of the time..

Yeah, okay, one weird scene at the beginning.  Otherwise, it's better lit, and filmed by an actual director and not Sean Cunningham who can't figure out how to frame a 2-shot for a conversation, much less a tense murder scene.  Plus, it doesn't have the worst "mystery" set-up in the history of film.

I thought everything looked WAY better in Part 1.  I thought the tense murder scenes were better (Come on, the arrow coming up through the bed through Kevin Bacon's throat?! That trumps any and every death in Part 2, most of which are Jason's slashes at somebody or kills somebody offscreen (Off the top of my head, at least three people die offscreen in the second one).  I also totally bought the mystery set-up, as I'd never seen any of these (Save the remake which I don't remember at all, except America Olivo's bosom) and had no idea about either surprise.

Yeah, okay, one weird scene at the beginning. 

Jason has the common sense to take the kettle off of the stove.  Wouldn't want the house burning down and making the police think he was also an arsonist, would we?

F12 PT2 accepts the fact that it is a slasher movie and doesn't aspire to be anything different.  That's about the only thing its got going for it.

The mystery set-up wouldn't have been so bad if Betsy Palmer hadn't played her role as Jason's mother with prefaced insanity.  What's dumb is how PT2 transitions from Jason's mom being the killer to Vorhees himself butchering camp goers.  In the first movie, the perfectly slasher movie acceptable scenario of Jason's mom having the Hollywood version of schzophrenia and "Jason" being a persona was right there.

We are then introduced to mongaloid titan Jason Vorhees as an actual human being and wonder how the fuck did his mom get him into Summer Camp in the first place if he is so hideously deformed, how did he survive the drowning incident, how did he survive in the woods all that time without even his deranged mother finding him despite the fact that she regularly stalked the camp grounds, how he becaame a psycho titan despite scientific evidence that says that most human ferals grow up malnourished because they never develop proper hunting or foraging skills.

Part 2 just asks too much from you in order for you to make that magical leap from Jason's mom being the killer to Jason himself being the killer.

The more I revisit Part 2, the more I think it is one of the weaker links in the chain (New Beginning is the worst of the lot).  Thank God for the badass F13 reboot that retied everything in a proper bundle.

This.  All of this.  Also, whose random dog was that in the woods that they found?!

Downey was playing himself in Zodiac as well as in Less Than Zero, just with different drugs. Also, "I'll put a hot pepper up your arse" from NBK is one of the greatest quotes in cinema history IMO. Yes, I have a moral compass, but where films are concerned...

My only comment about Friday 2 is it rules. 

Creepshow 2 is equally good after the first segment. How can you not like "The Raft"?

'The Raft' was soooo bad.  What was really baffling about it was how good the effects of the melting flesh were coupled with how lousy the floating evil trash-bag looked.  Because it looked exactly like an evil floating trash bag.  Add to that the insane character motivations ("I've got to get off this raft with this evil floating skin-melting trash bag, but first, time to lick some titty while my friend is asleep less than a day after we watched two friends grusomely murdered but...titties!") and...yeah not good.