DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

What's weird is that I don't actually remember him from almost anything.  Like the only thing that comes to memory is OFFICE SPACE.

I did notice him in an episode of PSYCH.  I think that was the only time I said, "Hey, it's Tom from OFFICE SPACE!"

Dude played Ed Rooney in the t.v. series of FERRIS BEULLER!

Watched Escape From New York today for the first time in many years. Something is bugging me. When Borgnine showed up in his cabbie uniform for the first time, I automatically had a vision of a computer screen version of the character, much like, say, Holly in Red Dwarf. Am I completely imagining that this appeared in some other movie or TV show? For some reason, A.I. is coming to mind. Was there a similar character? Also, looking at Kurt Russell's IMDB... I would've thought his career would have taken a huge upswing after Death Proof, but since 2007 all he's done is a short directed by Kate Hudson, and a high school football movie, playing a coach. I guess he's not interested in acting these days? There is a rumour of him being in the next Fast & Furious movie though.

Original Total Recall maybe? Didnt Kurt Russell become a hockey dad, because his son was playing junior hockey?

What's weird is that I don't actually remember him from almost anything.  Like the only thing that comes to memory is OFFICE SPACE.

I did notice him in an episode of PSYCH.  I think that was the only time I said, "Hey, it's Tom from OFFICE SPACE!"

Dude played Ed Rooney in the t.v. series of FERRIS BEULLER!

I literally just watched Office Space, which is what led me to him. I swore he was a fellow bus driver in Speed, but he wasn't. He was in The Fugitive though, so I think he may have been the prison bus driver there.

Watched Escape From New York today for the first time in many years. Something is bugging me. When Borgnine showed up in his cabbie uniform for the first time, I automatically had a vision of a computer screen version of the character, much like, say, Holly in Red Dwarf. Am I completely imagining that this appeared in some other movie or TV show? For some reason, A.I. is coming to mind. Was there a similar character?

Also, looking at Kurt Russell's IMDB... I would've thought his career would have taken a huge upswing after Death Proof, but since 2007 all he's done is a short directed by Kate Hudson, and a high school football movie, playing a coach. I guess he's not interested in acting these days? There is a rumour of him being in the next Fast & Furious movie though.

Original Total Recall maybe?

Didnt Kurt Russell become a hockey dad, because his son was playing junior hockey?

Hmm, that's very, very possible.

Posted Image

Watched Hit and Run which is kind of a real lot of fun.  Real-life couple Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell play a couple and she has a job interview in LA and he plans to drive her, even though he's in the Witness Protection system.  Bradley Cooper is the wronged man from his past who decides to track him down, and Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, David Koechner turn up in small roles and Tom Arnold damn near steals the film as the often-screwing-up US Marshal charged with protecting Shepard.  Also, apparently the movie cost only $2 million to make and half of that was spent on music credits (Jimi Hendrix, Peter Gabriel) and all the stunt-driving and cars come courtesy Shepard himself.  It's fairly funny, good stunts/chase scenes and Kristen Bell is hot, so it's definitely worth a watch.

I haven't watched H&R, but I remember hearing that Shepard ponied up alot of the cash himself for the budget, as it was a labor of love. Hence why so many of his friends (basically the entire cast) have roles in it.

Caught Monsters University at the second-run theatre.Blue Umbrella, the short before the movie was okay, but not as good as recent shorts like Paperman. MU itself is the worst Pixar movie I've seen. (Note, I haven't seen Cars or Cars 2)

I enjoyed Cars 2 quite a bit, personally. It's miles better than the first one, even if Larry the Cable Guy is the star this time around.

Also, looking at Kurt Russell's IMDB... I would've thought his career would have taken a huge upswing after Death Proof, but since 2007 all he's done is a short directed by Kate Hudson, and a high school football movie, playing a coach. I guess he's not interested in acting these days? There is a rumour of him being in the next Fast & Furious movie though.

I have heard that Russell is an extremely hard "get" for a film. I guess the dude was careful with his money. I know he was one of the millions that signed onto and then dropped out of Django Unchained.

I watched Argo on HBO tonight. Of all the movies I've seen it was certainly one of them.  It was a good story, good movie, but I'll be stunned if I ever have a desire to watch this one again, it just seemed like stuff happened, then more stuff happened, then they left. Alan Arkin and Bryan Cranston, however, were great.

• Like 1

I watched Argo on HBO tonight. Of all the movies I've seen it was certainly one of them.  It was a good story, good movie, but I'll be stunned if I ever have a desire to watch this one again, it just seemed like stuff happened, then more stuff happened, then they left. Alan Arkin and Bryan Cranston, however, were great.

I never got the buzz either.

Watched Hit and Run which is kind of a real lot of fun.  Real-life couple Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell play a couple and she has a job interview in LA and he plans to drive her, even though he's in the Witness Protection system.  Bradley Cooper is the wronged man from his past who decides to track him down, and Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, David Koechner turn up in small roles and Tom Arnold damn near steals the film as the often-screwing-up US Marshal charged with protecting Shepard.  Also, apparently the movie cost only $2 million to make and half of that was spent on music credits (Jimi Hendrix, Peter Gabriel) and all the stunt-driving and cars come courtesy Shepard himself.  It's fairly funny, good stunts/chase scenes and Kristen Bell is hot, so it's definitely worth a watch.

I haven't watched H&R, but I remember hearing that Shepard ponied up alot of the cash himself for the budget, as it was a labor of love. Hence why so many of his friends (basically the entire cast) have roles in it.

Shepard was listed as writer and co-director, as well.  You can totally tell it's a labour of love and he and Bell have pretty good natural chemistry.  

What I don't get is the movie cost $2 million, including $1 million for the soundtrack.  So, for all the actors/actresses bitching about Hollywood not funding/creating original stuff, this movie proves you could get a handful of friends together, split the $1 million between them (Find some indie band and offer them the soundtrack for a negligible fee and tell them the exposure is  and tell their own stories, release it and you're gonna gross more than the $1 million it cost, likely in the first weekend.  

That movie was one of the best in recent memory ('The Hurt Locker' also comes to mind) at creating stomach-churning tension.  That scene in the market where they're location scouting and everyone is eyeing them suspiciously!  Or the last 10-20 minutes, I was literally on the edge of my seat with a "Will they make it?" feeling in my gut.  Plus the middle part was really funny.  I guess I could understand being disappointed with it if you already knew the backstory (Which I didn't) or expected more because it was 'Best Picture', but one should remember that 'Best Picture' really seldom, if ever, equates to 'Best Movie' for a given year.

My problem with Argo was that I had an upset stomach that day, so all that stomach churning tension of "will they make it onto the plane?" quickly became "will I make it to the toilet right now?"

They did and I did.

I wish that wasn't a true story.

I didn't really get tense either. I just thought it was baseline good. And the stuff at the airport felt kind of phony to me, like Affleck was just creating stuff to make it look bigger than it was. Another example was Arkin and Goodman getting held up from the phone. I just thought, just walk through the stupid scene already.

I haven't seen all the Best Picture noms yet, I'm missing Silver Linings, Amour, Les Mis, and Lincoln, but I'd say Argo is maybe the weakest so far. So far my favorite is, surprisingly, Zero Dark Thirty.

I liked Argo a lot and even though I knew they would make it, Affleck was still able to make me be a the edge of my seat right 'till the end.

I know that the "on the last second" stuff always seems phony but that's how it plays out a lot on real life, I like reading non-fiction stuff about spies and stuff, and that's how shit goes down, in the most ridiculous, macgyver-ish sense.

My problem was that you know going in that they will make it out so all the tension stuff is lost on me..

See, I don't get that.  Is there no tension in 'The Godfather' or 'Alien' or 'Halloween' because since there are sequels we know the main characters survive?!  Is there no tension in 'Schindler's List' because we know the Germans don't win? 

Another example was Arkin and Goodman getting held up from the phone. I just thought, just walk through the stupid scene already.

There was no reason for them to walk through the scene as they were under the impression that the operation was dead.  They'd gone out for a drink/food and were wandering back to the office to shut it down, it's not like they were in any rush, hence why they didn't walk through the scene.

Another example was Arkin and Goodman getting held up from the phone. I just thought, just walk through the stupid scene already.

There was no reason for them to walk through the scene as they were under the impression that the operation was dead. They'd gone out for a drink/food and were wandering back to the office to shut it down, it's not like they were in any rush, hence why they didn't walk through the scene.
There's a perfectly good reason to walk through the scene: they're academy award winners and it was a shit scene. Fuck it, they're walking through. The only thing unrealistic was how long they waited before they said fuck it.I loved Argo.

My problem was that you know going in that they will make it out so all the tension stuff is lost on me..

See, I don't get that.  Is there no tension in 'The Godfather' or 'Alien' or 'Halloween' because since there are sequels we know the main characters survive?!  Is there no tension in 'Schindler's List' because we know the Germans don't win? 

But the main characters in Alien don't survive? I mean, expand your argument to Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween or something, the whole appeal is that everyone in the cast, and the monster, are all going to be pushing up daisies by the end.

Enemy - Jake Gyllenhaal spots his exact double acting in a movie and tracks him down.  Adapted from the book The Double, and directed by the guy who did Incendies.  (Yeah, the same director did 2 movies with Gyllenhaal, this + Prisoners)

SON OF A BITCH I didn't know Jake Gyllenhall is in an adaptation of The Double. That was on my list of movies I want to make one day. Yes I do think about that stuff. 

Just to clear one thing up here:

Enemy, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and directed by Denis Villeneuve, is based on the novel The Double by José Saramago, not the more famous book by Dostoevsky.  However, there is another totally separate movie at the festival called The Double, based on the Dostoevsky book, starring Jesse Eisenberg and directed by Richard Ayoade.

I saw Enemy last night.  It was pretty riveting.  However, there's a good amount of stuff in the movie that isn't in the book; the ending is apparently totally different than the book, and people will probably have strong feelings about it.  I'm trying to think about what it could've meant.

Oh I'm totally talking about the Jose Saramago book. It's the first one I read by the author and it was awesome....I have no idea why you'd change anything from the book though. It's kind of like Rosemary's Baby in that it reads like a film. So that's disappointing. May have to scale back expectations.

My decision for this year is to try not to turn on my TV unless I have something specific to watch, so I can cruise through the INCREDIBLE backlog of stuff I have bought, or have on my computer.So, I watched GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS tonight. For those who don't know, it has Harry Potter as an American journalist student who gets thrown out of Harvard, and ends up running with the West Ham Hammers thugs, with BAD consequences. A surprisingly powerful movie. And violent as hell. Kinda makes AMERICAN HISTORY X look like a fairy tale.

• Like 1

My decision for this year is to try not to turn on my TV unless I have something specific to watch, so I can cruise through the INCREDIBLE backlog of stuff I have bought, or have on my computer.So, I watched GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS tonight. For those who don't know, it has Harry Potter as an American journalist student who gets thrown out of Harvard, and ends up running with the West Ham Hammers thugs, with BAD consequences. A surprisingly powerful movie. And violent as hell. Kinda makes AMERICAN HISTORY X look like a fairy tale.

Frodo, actually.

That movie snuck up on me with how much I enjoyed it.

• Like 1