DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

End of Watch is fucking great.

Yeah, it's good.  If you ignore the big holes in the gimmick of the guy filming his life, it's a really good movie.

You're ragging on me for liking End of Watch, but you enjoyed jOBS.  Okay. Tabe. :)

Re-reading what I wrote, I realize it came across wrong.  I *DID* like "End of Watch".  You just have to ignore the holes in the gimmick. 

Man did I word that original post poorly :(

End of Watch is fucking great.

Yeah, it's good.  If you ignore the big holes in the gimmick of the guy filming his life, it's a really good movie.

You're ragging on me for liking End of Watch, but you enjoyed jOBS.  Okay. Tabe. :)

Re-reading what I wrote, I realize it came across wrong.  I *DID* like "End of Watch".  You just have to ignore the holes in the gimmick. 

Man did I word that original post poorly :(

I was just messin with you, Tabe.  And yeah, EoW has plot holes you could drive a truck through.  Same ones as most mockumentaries do ergo WHY THE HELL ARE THEY FILMING THEMSELVES AT A TIME LIKE THAT~?

I thought Live Free or Die Hard was far more fun than A Good Day to Die Hard.

Me too, or maybe that was the Maggie Q As A Dirty Blonde factor kicking in?  Or that in concert with Tim Olyphaunt being awesome?  Even Kevin Smith managed to have decent delivery on some pretty snappy dialogue.

"Thomas Gabriel's the guy who nearly shut down NORAD with a laptop just to prove a point, and you think that I'm supposed to be scared of you?"

I was just messin with you, Tabe.  And yeah, EoW has plot holes you could drive a truck through.  Same ones as most mockumentaries do ergo WHY THE HELL ARE THEY FILMING THEMSELVES AT A TIME LIKE THAT~?

Oh, I know you were just messin' around.  With End of Watch, it wasn't even just "why are you filming yourself NOW?" but "HOW are you filming yourself?" like the scene where he hooks up with the girl. 

Has anyone ever seen the Cracking Up with Jerry Lewis?  I haven't seen it since I was a kid and I know people give Jerry alot of shit, but damn was that one of the funniest movies I ever saw! The running gag with him trying to quit smoking, the first five minutes of the movie and this:

http://youtu.be/J5MpO9grPpk

It looks like the whole movie is on Youtube, and I anxiously await to go home and watch it again to see if it holds up.

• Like 1

Jon Voight in Anaconda is weird, he's so good in the movie but at the same time whatever the fuck accent he's going for is so distracting that you don't really pay attention to anything else.

Still, a top 5, if not top 3, accent in movies for me.

• Like 1

Beetlejuice is on TV right now. I still have a crush on Winona Ryder. Funny seeing Dick Cavett of all people have a role in this. I also dig the coincidence of this being on while the Beetlejuice/Miley Cyrus photoshop is a popular meme right now. What the hell ever happened to Geena Davis?

Beetlejuice is on TV right now. I still have a crush on Winona Ryder. Funny seeing Dick Cavett of all people have a role in this. I also dig the coincidence of this being on while the Beetlejuice/Miley Cyrus photoshop is a popular meme right now. What the hell ever happened to Geena Davis?

She just had a show a couple years ago where she was the President. And she just put this out last week

I loved Otho.  He was also great in HEATHERS, not that Tabe will ever understand this.  AND he was the mayor of Halloweentown.

...and then he died

sometime between the last time I IMDB'ed him and today.

Oh yeah, totally smarmy in Beetlejuice. Heathers had a couple showings recently and I planned to rewatch but missed it, otherwise I'd join the argument. I don't remember liking it much as a kid but catching the "I love my dead gay son" line while channel surfing made me want to revisit. 

Funny enough, Beetlejuice (featuring Keaton saying "Nice fuckin' model!" and grabbing his crotch, going to a whorehouse, people dying in a car wreck, etc.) was on Starz Kids and Family. Another reason to miss the '80s: you could get away with that shit and still call it a kids movie.

Grabbed a disc from my pile at random the other night (internet out, no Netflix), and watched MIDDLE OF NOWHERE (2008). Susan Sarandon and her real-life daughter, Eva Amurri, have a tumultuous family life so daughter turns to helping troubled rich-kid, played by Anton Yelchin, sell weed so she can get far away and go to college.  Once the movie gets past the preachy "drugs are bad" and "sure, drugs are bad but weed isn't that bad," bullshit...it still isn't that great. It has some solid moments, but they are pieced together too haphazardly: there's some important stuff that just gets glossed over to jump to the next scene. And then it just ended.  Mediocre, at best.

re-watched Layer Cake last ngiht for like the 100th time. You totally see why Craig got picked to be Bond by watching this but the guy who steals the movie is Colm fuckin Meaney. He is just so fucking bad ass. The scenee where he is beating the fuck out of Craig in theshack leading to the great conversation of where the gun that killed Jimmy came from... man just awesome. He also gets some of the choicest lines ("Bakc then being black was worse than being Irish", fuck that's justthe tip of the iceberg!)

I want more gangster movies with Colm Meaney being a hardass!

James

I loved Otho.  He was also great in HEATHERS, not that Tabe will ever understand this.  AND he was the mayor of Halloweentown.   ...and then he diedsometime between the last time I IMDB'ed him and today.
He also had a similar small role in DEMOLITION MAN.

I loved Otho.  He was also great in HEATHERS, not that Tabe will ever understand this.  AND he was the mayor of Halloweentown.   ...and then he diedsometime between the last time I IMDB'ed him and today.
He also had a similar small role in DEMOLITION MAN.

When I first saw the High Septon on GAME OF THRONES I thought, "Man, Otho would have been perfect for that" and I still see it that way in my head-brain.

So, he is still alive in my heart and in my false-manufactured memories.