DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

I just wanted to say that it took me 2 years, but I finally watched Super 8.  How I avoided spoilers that long is beyond me, but I wish someone had just said to me "dude, it's a wonderful film".  I know there are people that disliked it, but I couldn't love the movie any more.

• Like 1

So, I finally got around to seeing Road House. Is it Atsushi Onita's favourite movie? Because it seems like every match he had was designed to end with him looking as much like Pat Swayze at the end of Road House as possible. Also, all that talk of Rugby players was a smokescreen, Wade Barratt is so totally named after Wade Garrett.

I do not know why I don't feel terribly compelled to go see The Butler.  I agree that it is a story worth telling and listening to.

Either the persistance of the marketing campaign annoys me or I know that I will go see this and be sent into a seething rage before it is halfway done.

I just wanted to say that it took me 2 years, but I finally watched Super 8.  How I avoided spoilers that long is beyond me, but I wish someone had just said to me "dude, it's a wonderful film".  I know there are people that disliked it, but I couldn't love the movie any more.

I liked it a lot as well.

Same here. It filled a much needed void for me because you never see movies like The Goonies, ET, etc. anymore. It was the best of those 80s movies that did such a great job at capturing the imagination and sense of wonderment that kids can have and it played out on screen perfectly. I probably spent the whole movie with a huge grin plastered on my face. Love that movie a ton. Plus, it had Coach in it.

I do not know why I don't feel terribly compelled to go see The Butler.  I agree that it is a story worth telling and listening to.

Either the persistance of the marketing campaign annoys me or I know that I will go see this and be sent into a seething rage before it is halfway done.

A bit of both, I imagine.  The TV campaign reeks of cavity-inducing schmaltz,  but the story on which the movie is based is enough to send any decent person into a hot lather.

I can only imagine what it will be like when the advertising for 12 Years a Slave kicks up.  I want to see it, but I can tell I won't be there with bells and whistles.

Same here. It filled a much needed void for me because you never see movies like The Goonies, ET, etc. anymore. It was the best of those 80s movies that did such a great job at capturing the imagination and sense of wonderment that kids can have and it played out on screen perfectly. I probably spent the whole movie with a huge grin plastered on my face. Love that movie a ton. Plus, it had Coach in it.

This was exactly how I felt about it.  Reminded me of all those movies I grew up on.  It's so rare to see a movie with kids these days, where you don't want to punch the shit out of all of them.

My daughter and I went to see Percy Jackson:  Sea of Monsters on Sunday.  It was not as dumb as I expected it to be, had the decency not to be over two hours long, and we spend most of my last furlough day at the public library reading (My kid checked out the next PJ book and read a bit while I hit the Godzilla movies) so I guess that earns it four stars.

The Will Leitch review is quite fascinating.

This is the central tension of The Butler, the fight between the movie's desire to be both Important and Pop Bordering On Camp. Not everything in the movie holds up, and you're likely to find the movie's insistence on hanging every major moment in African-American history on the shoulders of a fictional butler and his family cloying and irritating at times. But what can I say? The movie still got to me. Daniels can wring a scene for all its worth, and he does plenty of wringing. I don't think the movie is quite capital-r Respectable enough to be winning the Best Picture Oscar it so desperately wants, but at the right moments, it's undeniably moving. It's calculated and plodding and way, way too much at times. It's still hard to resist. I eventually gave up, and gave in.

He gave it a B.

Totally agree.  The train scene towards the beginning is one of my favorite scenes of any movie. 

I'll throw my hat in with those that love SUPER 8.

Watched SIDE EFFECTS last night, and I really liked it, even if it plays out like a glorified LAW & ORDER episode without the cops. The ending is tremendous.

I haven't watched this movie in eons, but it turns out the original PIRANHA is really packed with awesome character actors.  Just a huge amount of history there.  They pop up and disappear at a startling rate.  I'm guessing this is a Joe Dante thing.  To the drugged out "turned on" hippies of the 1978 drive-ins they were just a bunch of funny-looking "geezers" and "narcs" and "squares."  But if you look past that you see deep careers that stretch back across a century.

So, here is the first installment in a series I'd like to call "AWESOME ACTORS HIDDEN IN THE CAST OF PIRANHA"

(Also why does everyone in the movie pronounce it "Piranya"?)

Installment #1 Richard Deacon.  Barely minutes in and we get a 1 minute scene with this wonderfully awesome looking dude.

Here he is in his cameo scene from PIRANHA:
Posted ImageHow do you not love a face like that?

His voice is massively familiar-sounding if you see the movie.  And it turns out for good reason.  He was part of Jack Benny's old radio crew who made the transition to t.v..  Here he is as a salesman in an excerpt from one of the greatest comedy bits of all time, where Jack Benny drives Mel Blanc insane buying a christmas present.   

He's one of those guys who spent his life playing one part..uptight salesman, business man, doctor, beureaucrat and mean boss on everything from THE MUNSTERS (and THE ADAMS FAMILY) to GET SMART, BURNS AND ALLEN, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, THE LOVE BOAT...all the way up to his final role in GROWING PAINS as "mean ticket seller" which I assumed meant he caught Mike Seaver and Boner trying to sneak into a R-rated movie...until I looked it up to find that it was the alternate title of a B-movie originally called BAD MANNERS and starring a teenaged Pamela Adlon [aka the hottest woman on earth as of this writng or so] from LOUIE).

In the process of all this he ran with some of the greatest comedians of all time (Benny, George Burns, Lucille Ball, Dick van Dyke, Red Skelton, Bob Hope, Jackie Gleason, Phyllis Diller, ....) and was a regular part of a number of important comedy "cliques" in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Some comedy nerds will remember him best from is recurring role as essentially the Ted Baxter/Dan Fielding of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUnO__-Onzo

Or as the mean neighbor Fred Rutherford on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER.

But most awesomely, Richard Deacon was a regular panel member on all the best game shows of the 70s:

$10,000 PYRAMID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aadYDIsB17o

MATCH GAME '77:

not to mention HOLLYWOOD SQUARES.
As a kid, he was stricken with Polio and almost lost the use of his legs.  He rehabbed by taking dancing lessons and ended up trading lines with Bob Barker, Nipsy Russell, and Rip Taylor.

This automatically makes him 1000x cooler than hippie icon James Franco who will never be on any of those.

So FUCK YOU,  JAMES FRANCO!

This man:Posted Image > James Franco

(Yes, that is Richard Deacon clowning around with Mary Tyler Moore)

• Like 2

Got a kick out of The Creature From the Black Lagoon with its bizarrely-motivated heroes (Like the scientist who, from the very first possibility of the creature existing wants to shoot it) and it's actually-pretty-awesome-looking creature.  Julia Adams was actually more saucy than one would expect from a film of this era, some of the underwater scenes were actually quite well-shot and it was just genuinely enjoyable.  I like that it didn't overstay its welcome with the 80ish minute runtime, too.

Enjoyed Dredd.  The only thing that didn't really do it for me was the obviously made-for-3D effects of the slow-mo drug which were just kind of annoying if you don't see it in 3D and felt like the director trying to marry the concept of action movies and drug movies and make the first action drug movie.  But the action scenes were great, I liked the decision to eschew the traditional 'epic boss fight' and have the struggle of making it past all the guys the big obstacle the hero must overcome and then a bit of a thinking man's puzzle that Dredd finds an "innovative" way out of.  Also, nice to see Avon Barksdale in a prominent role.  I also kinda thought Olivia Thirlby would have been a much bigger star by now as she kinda charmed every scene she was in in 'Juno' away from Ellen Page, then was a solid actress in 'Snow Angels' but she's still just in supporting roles in action movies.

I'll throw my hat in with those that love SUPER 8.

Yeah, I hated Super 8.  I didn't see the logic of the kids trying to help an alien whose mission in the film was to secure enough human beings to serve as a daily source of protein and iron for its diet while heading back to its home planet.

The whole "It's as frightened of us as we are of it," bullshit didn't keep it from stalking and trapping townsfolk to use as human lunchables.  Scared of us, my ass.  I could not fathom the depth of sympathy this alien generated with the kids.  It was fucking eating the people that lived in their town.  We were cattle to that goddamned spider critter. 

It did not need to be communicated with or reasoned with or understood; it needed to be set on fire.  I don't care how much you hate the town drunk, the asshole bully on your bus that takes your lunch money, or the strict dad on the corner that doesn't like you hanging around his daughter. They don't deserve to be eaten alive by a giant spider alien.  Maybe the mysterious US government folks the movie tries its best to demonize were in the right when they wanted to dissect that thing like a frog in science class?

And the ending?  Holy shit.  You've got ET Go Home triumphant symphony music playing while the alien is delivering the final Fuck You to humanity by setting off tank shells and making the town explode.  Fuck that alien and fuck that movie.  We shoulda fired every nuke we had at those assholes as they left orbit.

You don't try to make The Day The Earth Stood Still with The Thing From Another World or the Ymir from Twenty Million Miles to Earth.

• Like 2