DVDVR Message Board

The Royal Mellabration - SDL - 5/15/2018

Dolfan in NYC

SDL is in London tonight too, so they'll start taping in about 3 hours.   Here's what's on tap:

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. AJ Styles - Winner picks match stipulations for title match at Money in the Bank.

The Royal Mellabration - Carmella celebrates her victory over Charlotte (and probably finds out Asuka is waiting for her at MitB)

MitB Qualifying Match - The Bar vs. The New Day  (winning team may only send one member to MitB)

Andrade "Cien" Almas debuts.

I hope they don't do anything different for Almas, like giving him different lighting or making him look like Sinn Cara. The best would be for him to show off his explosive offense, have Vega torch someone on a promo, and then have Almas scream "EL IDOLO" or something.

• Like 2

And here are the spoilers for tonight:

Spoiler

- Daniel Bryan opened the show by doing an in-ring interview with Renee Young. That led to Big Cass coming out and insulting Bryan, but Bryan beat him down, applied a submission, and wouldn't let go until after referees and other officials came out.

- The New Day defeated Cesaro & Sheamus in a Money in the Bank qualifying match

Big E hit a spear on Sheamus to the outside and Woods pinned Cesaro with an elbow drop. One of the New Day members will be added to the men's Money in the Bank ladder match.

- A Bludgeon Brothers video aired.

- Paige was confronted by Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville backstage. Becky Lynch vs. Rose vs. Deville in a Money in the Bank qualifying match was announced for later in the show.

- AJ Styles cut a promo where he promised to beat Shinsuke Nakamura in the main event.

- Andrade "Cien" Almas (w/ Zelina Vega) defeated an enhancement wrestler

Vega cut a heel promo hyping up Almas following the match.

- In a backstage segment with Rusev, Aiden English, and Lana, it was revealed that Lana will be in a Money in the Bank qualifier against Billie Kay next week.

- Carmella came out for her "Royal 'Mellabration." It resulted in Paige announcing Carmella vs. Asuka for the SmackDown Women's Championship at Money in the Bank. Carmella bailed after Asuka entered.

- Shinsuke Nakamura did a promo, also promising to win in the main event.

- Becky Lynch defeated Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville in a Money in the Bank qualifying match

Lynch submitted Rose with an armbar.

- Big Cass vs. Samoa Joe in a Money in the Bank qualifier is set for next week. Joe cut a promo on Cass, and The IIconic's did a promo about Kay's qualifying match with Lana.

- Ronda Rousey will be wrestling at Raw's house show in London on August 29th.

- Shinsuke Nakamura defeated WWE Champion AJ Styles in a non-title match (winner picks the stipulation for their title match at Money in the Bank)

This was said to be very good. Nakamura won with the Kinshasa after a distraction where he faked a low blow.

Main was great, and quality Bryan beat down.

Hadn't seen last week's episode, but decided to delete it and just assume we'd fast forward fewer highlights. So of course the only recap this entire show is from Mania and I get to see nothing of the Rusev win.

Styles and Nakamura had a good TV match. The finishing sequence was at least more inspired than their last three PPV matches. Just don't get why they can't put that epic match together on pay-per-view.

This is the current booking of AJ/Shinsuke: "We're going to settle the score at Money in the Bank, but first we're going to wrestle one on one in a match that could just as easily settle the score, but won't because we will settle it LATER."

AJ Styles has been apart of some of the dumbest overbooked messes this past year. Maybe longer. For all his big match capability, they seem to go out of their way to undercut nearly every big match he's had with ridiculousness. He's like Bret Hart, where he's the champion but you can tell they're just letting him hold it until they can build a better option. 

I didn't want to see the matches, and I still don't, but I understood why they went with Daniel Bryan vs. Big Cass.  I didn't like it, but they wanted to see if DB could make them a star, while at the same time telling Cass that they think highly of him and that he needs to perform at this level if he wants to make it to the top. But now I LOVE that this has turned into Daniel Bryan is legit and will walk up to a 7footer and punch him in the fucking face. This went from making Big Cass, to re-establishing that Daniel Bryan is legit and it's great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Poor women's champions .... so Asuka/Rousey are gonna win the titles in what - a combined 5 minutes maybe?

I assume this means Charlotte wins MiTB and we get two long reigns culminating in a "WHO WILL SHE CASH IN ON AT WRESTLEMANIA?!" story line. 

34 minutes ago, CSC said:

Poor women's champions .... so Asuka/Rousey are gonna win the titles in what - a combined 5 minutes maybe?

I assume this means Charlotte wins MiTB and we get two long reigns culminating in a "WHO WILL SHE CASH IN ON AT WRESTLEMANIA?!" story line. 

She'll probably win the rumble instead. Fits more.

Going full fantasy booking here - I love the idea of changing up the usual MiTB tropes with Charlotte just flat out saying that she will face the Champion on the biggest stage of WrestleMania from the beginning and Rousey/Asuka fighting because they want to be the ones to finally beat her there (Asuka as payback and Rousey to prove she's the best).

Then you could have someone who needs the rub like Ember Moon win the Rumble and she already has a built in story with Asuka from their NXT days and Flair/Rousey be the first women's match to main event a WrestleMania. 

What if Charlotte wins MITB and wins the Rumble. You can run Charlotte/Rousey first with Charlotte winning and then going to the main event of Charlotte/Asuka with Asuka retaining. This way WWE can have their cake and eat it too with Rousey in a high profile match, Asuka can "avenge" her defeat and Charlotte has an excuse for her loss to Asuka since she will have wrestled earlier in the night.