DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Dominion 2018. Contains NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2018 spoilers.

The Natural

Looking forward for two big matches on the 9th of June 2018:

IWGP Heavyweight Championship in a no time limit two out of three falls match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Kenny Omega.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Chris Jericho.

---

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega had a three match trilogy last year. The first match at Wrestle Kingdom 11 was the longest match ever at the Tokyo Dome. I loved it, my 2017 MOTY and the best match of the three. I didn't like the Dominion match which went to a 60 minute draw with the leg work getting lost and trying to fill the time up. Omega won the third match at the G1 Climax, a terrific match aided by the 30 minute time limit and the story that Okada was beaten down. So we're 1-1-1.

This fourth IWGP Heavyweight Title reign by Kazuchika Okada is the longest in NJPW history, he's nearly up to 700 days and the most defenses in sucession. Two out of three falls is one of my favourite gimmick matches. The match may go short to surprise, I remember the 2004 Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk ROH trilogy, the first two matches were one hour draws and the third just over 30 minutes...Yeah right, this match is going long.

Chris Jericho's follows his match against Kenny Omega for the IWGP United States Championship at Wrestle Kingdom this year versus Tetsuya Naito for his IWGP Intercontinental Championship. Be interesting to see how Chris follows that match as this isn't no DQ and he's had a diverse year so far freelancing between IWGP and WWE.

Have at it!

Okada/Omega will be wild. Personally, I hope they defy expectations and keep it on the short side, but if anyone can pull off a 90 minute match it's those guys. I hope they make the switch here too. Okada's had some great and varied defenses but Omega would be more interesting as champ. But I said that about Naito too and they didn't pull the trigger then either.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Okada and Omega do a full-length match in the vein of their earlier bouts just for the first fall, then have the next one or two come fairly quickly. That would be a neat twist on the usual 2/3 falls format, and fitting given what they've already done. If neither one has been able to pin the other in under 30 minutes except when one was injured, why should that change now?

• Like 1