DVDVR Message Board

Cobra Kai

Dolfan in NYC

I'll co-sign on everything already said about season 5!

Spoiler

I love how they worked in Robin Lively's character from the third movie as Amanda's cousin, it was a great set-up for Amanda to find out how evil Terry Silver is. They were smart in doing the swerves with Mike Barnes, just having him show up as a henchmen or whatever for Silver would have been lame. Thomas Ian Griffith was great this season, he basically combined Roy Turner from Bad News Bears and a Bond villain and knocked it out of the park. The booking of the Daniel-Silver fight at the end was perfect!

If season 6 will centers on the Sakai Taikai tournament, I'm hoping there's some sort of Senior Division so Daniel, Johnny, Chozen, & Mike Barnes can compete with Johnny going over Daniel in the finals.

How long can they keep this show going? None of the older kids look like they're in high school anymore and basing things around Anthony & Kenny might not work due to the kid playing Anthony now being the tallest person on the show. Also, who could be the new big bad? Maybe Ally's friend from the first movie who always saw through Daniel's bullshit.

Spoiler

The kids will likely be focused on the tourny and the likely integration on the main Cobras into the team (mainly Tory, Kenny, and Devon, you don't need any of the others, honestly.

The adults on the other hand have Kreese and probably Kim to deal with.  Although I don't know how much traction you get from an On-the-lam Kreese and disgraced Kim as the big bads, but they played a bit with Kim having history with both Silver and Kreese in the flashbacks to the early 80's.

I don't think you need the senior division because the focus in S5 for the adults was finally buring their shit and moving on, with Johnny finally embracing adulthood fixing his family relations, Daniel getting the last monkey off his back, and Chozen finally feeling like he's atoned for his lack of honor his whole life.  Outside of just ending things with Kreese, there's not much for the adults left to do (which is hilarious, because the series started on Johnny and Daniel being stuck in the past and needing to move on, and their arcs seem closed yet there's one more season.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Ha ha, Stingray the AEW mark.

Just watched that episode and thought “of course he’s singing that goddam song, of course he is”

also, Chozen on the egg hunt was wonderfully psychopathic.  “NOW YOU DIE!!”

Edited by Ultimo Necro
Chozen egg hunt memory
  • Like 2

I feel like not enough people are talking about the cameo of the millennium. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER FUCKING SPOILER:

Wulf the Goddamn Dentist Stannsen went from coaching Iceland's Junior Goodwill Games hockey team to organizing a worldwide competition where kids beat the shit out of each other? No wonder they ran him out of the league and the country!

Great casting there. That fucking ruled.

Also, I am 100% here for Sean Kanan's "poor man's Joe Mangianello" energy. You could tell he was having a ball.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Shit! I meant to bring up how cool it was seeing Carsten Norgaard again. I always like seeing him in stuff. I think the last thing I saw him in was that Sleepy Hollow tv series.

He was pretty great in Man in the High Castle.

• Like 1

20220910-180644.jpg

So my complaint early in the season was that I thought the kids got buried, outside of the main four. Hawk had such a great run in season 4, that I hated seeing him pushed to the background. That got resolved by the end, obviously. Overconfident Hawk getting wrecked against Kenny was great booking.

I also like that there is a clear pecking order in terms of fighting skills, with Robbie, Miguel, Hawk and Tori clearly being better than everyone else.

I did like how much more grounded this season was, and they stopped relying on the bullshit misunderstandings. The adult characters are growing just much as the kids.

Coked out Mike Barnes was amazing. Chozen saying "it's bad boy of karate" fucking killed me. The Chozen-Silver fight was badass.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 4

If I were to guess, one of the big drama points in the 6th season, which I assume will be the last, is Johnny not knowing if he should leave the country with being so close to the birth of his child or going overseas to see Robbie compete in the Sakai Takai.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

If I were to guess, one of the big drama points in the 6th season, which I assume will be the last, is Johnny not knowing if he should leave the country with being so close to the birth of his child or going overseas to see Robbie compete in the Sakai Takai.

I am already assuming that a major development in Season 6 will be Miguel's dad coming for Carmen either as Johnny is in Japan or about to hop on the flight. 

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

I am already assuming that a major development in Season 6 will be Miguel's dad coming for Carmen either as Johnny is in Japan or about to hop on the flight. 

Agreed. It feels like he was built up as such a bad guy that it would feel odd if he was done. But it seems to me like the Johnny-Kreese angle is really what has driven this show all along and will end up being how it concludes, whether the Kreese redemption story turns out to be a fake-out or not.

• Like 1

After the jail break where he obviously hurt some mofos to get out, you can probably go either way, but from the Vietnam flashbacks to his protecting Tory, he was clearly set-up to have a change of heart. Whether they go that way or not, who knows? He is infinitely better as a villain.

Edited by Execproducer

• 2 weeks later...

Man, what a great season, but it is becoming apparent that this show needs to ride into the sunset while it's still on top.

Chozen and Mike Barnes were both really good additions to this season. I hope that this was the end of Silver's story. Kreese obviously needs some closure as well, for better or worse.

Stingray being an AEW neckbeard and then actually coming through when the situation called for it was awesome.

This show has actually raised the importance of the Karate Kid sequels as well. I mean now KK III would actually be required viewing in order to appreciate the show fully.

The international (but very little known in the US) Karate tournament was a bit "really, another tournament?" but it is a central storytelling device, so Ok.

I was really glad that the shit with Miguel's father was over with within one episode, but there may be some sort of closure next season.

Anyway, this shit world needs more shows like this to make it worthwhile. I appreciate the shit out of this show!

• Like 2

Just finished the season. Absolutely amazing once again. Loved all of it. Chozen was a huge highlight throughout, I love seeing him and Johnny team up plus the addition of Mike Fucking Barnes. Karate Kid 1, 2, & 3 villains unite as heroes was epic. I wish the show could just go on forever but I liked the way things were wrapping up for all the characters in the end. That last episode was thrilling, all action, so much fun.

Huge pop for the "Judas" inclusion and the Rocky references. Also was awesome to see Robyn Lively reprise her role. This show is the best

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m working my way through this new season now, and I’m trying to avoid spoilers, so I won’t scroll through the thread to see if this was addressed, but…

Episode 5 (the one with Johnny trying to force Miguel and Robby to hug it out) featured some of the worst, most blatant, embarrassing product placement I have ever seen in a TV show or movie. Whatever Olive Garden paid them, they definitely got their money’s worth and then some.

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m working my way through this new season now, and I’m trying to avoid spoilers, so I won’t scroll through the thread to see if this was addressed, but…

Episode 5 (the one with Johnny trying to force Miguel and Robby to hug it out) featured some of the worst, most blatant, embarrassing product placement I have ever seen in a TV show or movie. Whatever Olive Garden paid them, they definitely got their money’s worth and then some.

I think we all thought it was funny and true to Johnny and represented Olive Garden pretty poorly accordingly?

The episode ends with them gathering around the table for an OG feast and remarking how good it is!

Moreover, what was really striking is the opening scene at the restaurant seems to exist solely for the waiter to be able to extol the virtues of Olive Garden. He has more lines than anybody in that scene! It is super bizarre.

• 1 month later...

I didn't like this season nearly as much as you guys. I liked it, didn't love it - definitely a big drop from the first four seasons. Thought there was too much silliness, too much profanity, didn't like the violence, and most of the storylines just fell flat. Chozen was awesome though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had to skim down to post to avoid spoilers but I just finished episode three.  I'm in love with the show as always and got a huge kick out of the Mexican adventures to start the season.  It's also really fucking cool to see Yuji Okumoto back as Chozen.  It wasn't until somebody made puro comparisons to Karate Kid II that I really fell in love with not only the movie more but Chozen and all involved.  Before that all I could remember was my crush on Kumiko (who still looks gorgeous now as seen in previous seasons)  But Chozen is badass and I love his part in all this so far.

Also, I still remember watching General Hospital as my sis was obsessed with the show.  She was all about A.J. Quartermaine who admittedly was a hunk and then some back then.  I think it was about 2010 when I put two and together and realized Sean Kanan was also Mike Barnes.  So it's great to see him again but part of me still can't forget my sis gushing over him on GH.  I can't wait to see the rest of the season but while the show's been great ending the showat season 6 feels right.

• Like 1