DVDVR Message Board

Cobra Kai

Dolfan in NYC

• 3 months later...

OHHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

IT'S FUCKIN' HAPPENING!

They also pushed the season 5 date from later this month to early September. 

EDIT: Derp, nevermind. Missed months ago that it was coming out in September.

Edited by Craig H

Is there anybody that has refused to participate in Cobra Kai that was in the movies? Is there anybody left to bring back? Pat Morita is the only one missing that I can think of and he, obviously, cannot participate. I'm certain he would have though. So who else is missing? 

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

Is there anybody that has refused to participate in Cobra Kai that was in the movies? Is there anybody left to bring back? Pat Morita is the only one missing that I can think of and he, obviously, cannot participate. I'm certain he would have though. So who else is missing? 

Refused? No. We're getting to a point though where the only people left to bring back are the announcer in the swag 70s looking suit from the first movie, the ref with the Don Frye looking mustache, Barnes' buddies, and Hillary Swank and MAYBE Walton Goggins because he was the only other person worth a shit from that Hillary Swank entry.

I would prefer to just never bring back anyone from the New Karate Kid, but that's just because I think that movie sucks.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Refused? No. We're getting to a point though where the only people left to bring back are the announcer in the swag 70s looking suit from the first movie, the ref with the Don Frye looking mustache, Barnes' buddies, and Hillary Swank and MAYBE Walton Goggins because he was the only other person worth a shit from that Hillary Swank entry.

I would prefer to just never bring back anyone from the New Karate Kid, but that's just because I think that movie sucks.

There's Michael Ironsides too from New Karate Kid.  Swank isn't above doing TV as she's doing a show for ABC this season, but everyone from Next Karate Kid wouldn't be involved with Cobra Kai stuff, as it was a totally different Dojo they were dealing with (although it would be acknowledging there is one more American Miyagi-do master in existence, that Daniel possibly doesn't know about?)

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

There's Michael Ironsides too from New Karate Kid.  Swank isn't above doing TV as she's doing a show for ABC this season, but everyone from Next Karate Kid wouldn't be involved with Cobra Kai stuff, as it was a totally different Dojo they were dealing with (although it would be acknowledging there is one more American Miyagi-do master in existence, that Daniel possibly doesn't know about?)

Shit, I forgot about Michael Ironsides. But yeah, you highlighted the other point I didn't make in that Cobra Kai is a saga about, well, Cobra Kai. Plus, I believe we're down to their final 2 seasons, the one in September and the season next year. I thought they were only looking at doing 6 and honestly, I continue being pleasantly surprised with how well they've stretched this out this far. Like I thought Terry Silver and Mike Barnes would never happen, and now here we are.

Just don't give Kreese a redemption arc. Fuck that guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Chad McQueen(Dutch) not sure if he refused or they didn't really ask since they'd know what the answer would be. There's also Larry B. Scott(Jerry) not sure if he actually had any lines, I'm surprised he hasn't at least made a cameo.

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 5:44 PM, Craig H said:

Holy shit. TIL Dutch's dad was Steve McQueen. 

The epitome of "Cool Dad"! I mean, the only thing that is cooler than "Hi, my dad is Steve McQueen!" is "Hi, my late dad WAS Steve McQueen!" Holy...fucking...shit!

• 3 weeks later...

Almost two full episodes in and it's what we've come to know -- the great combination of goofy, sentimental and awesome all at one. 

Spoiler

Kinda insane that in Season 5 we see Miguel going on a journey of parental self-discovery in Mexico when you think back that he started as a nerdy picked on poor kid in the first episode. But we've been on the journey with him this whole time. Really great soap opera sub-plot.

• Like 1

Three episodes in and it is awesome. What we have come to expect with the combination of Degrassi-style teen drama, what it means to grow as an adult and face the real world and superb pacing with the bigger rival dojos ridiculous soap opera plot at hand. 

I have said it before but this show is not better than it should be. It is just a fantastic show and as well done as possible for what it is going for. We need to revisit what a “prestige drama” really means because this is just a fantastic show.

The end of the 2nd episode 

Spoiler

You saw the wheels turning when Silver realized that Chozen is *not* LaRusso when Chozen casually nuked the 6 other instructors without breaking a sweat.

• Like 3

I plowed through the entire season. Incredible. 

Spoiler

Such a great pro wrestling type of second half of the season with shifting loyalties, big babyface comebacks, heels getting their comeuppance and more, while there is an awesome badass ending. 

Season 6 HAS to be the final season, I don't know where else they can take this. They've brought back seemingly everyone (well, except Swank). You can only revisit certain wells a few times before it gets old.

But yeah, that was a hella fun season. I watched the entire thing with my co-worker last night/this morning. I think my only complaint is still that they stretch out the seasons past what it needs to be, and some of the fight scenes are LOOOOONG.

• Like 2