DVDVR Message Board

Cobra Kai

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Happ Hazzard said:

The main problem I have with the show is that it's 35 years since the events of the original movie. Both Johnny and Daniel should be over it by now. And it seems unrealistic that both of of them became first time fathers at about 40. It seems like the 90s didn't happen for either of them. They lived the 80s lifestyle in the 80s then got married and had kids in the early 2000s. I think the show is playing fast and loose with the timeline and both characters are supposed to be in their mid 40s (which to be fair, they can both pass for).

Yeah, the problem is that Barney Stintson wasn't around on tv early enough to give this show the chance to exist in the first place! It should by all accounts have happened maybe 10 years earlier than it actually did, you are right about that. The other thing is that they needed contemporary teenagers doing contemporary teenager-things, in order to appeal to the youth of today.

And of course you need teenagers in this show as well, since the original was a teen movie, this provides another problem with the timeline you mentioned. What I mean is that you need contemporary stuff for the kids to get into, not something that happened 10 years ago, so this taking place in like early '00's would make it kind of difficult, even if that would make more sense to do.

Old people like me will get into it as is, and what the teens do in the show is just a nice bonus. I'm here to see Johnny Lawrence not ending up like Randy The Ram and that's good enough for me! Oh yeah, and filling up my gym playlist in the process.

5 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:The main problem I have with the show is that it's 35 years since the events of the original movie. Both Johnny and Daniel should be over it by now. And it seems unrealistic that both of of them became first time fathers at about 40. It seems like the 90s didn't happen for either of them. They lived the 80s lifestyle in the 80s then got married and had kids in the early 2000s. I think the show is playing fast and loose with the timeline and both characters are supposed to be in their mid 40s (which to be fair, they can both pass for).

I totally buy both of them having teenagers, if Robby & Sam are 16 in 2018 when the show starts, Johnny & Daniel would have been 34 or 35 when the kids were born in 2001 or 2002. I think Johnny and Ali were 17 and seniors(Class of 85) while Daniel was 16 and a junior(Class of 86) in the original flick. Daniel and his wife totally fit since most of the parents I know with teens are around that age. Johnny seems like he’d have multiple kids at multiple ages and possibly also be a grandpa. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Johnny seems like he’d have multiple kids at multiple ages and possibly also be a grandpa. 

This seems true enough, but seeing how he messed up trying to be (or becoming) a parent to the one kid he did have (well, I guess he didn't even try to be a parent) he may have gotten so freaked out about it that he was being extra careful in all of his (likely brief) relationships not to get anyone pregnant again?

Also, as his life started to go into the wrong direction, it is certainly a possibility that "the hot babes" he had been used to dating in his youth, were obviously looking for someone more suitable and stable than what he had become. Hence, no opportunities for further children.

Also, Johnny's kid seems like a really nice guy, despite not coming off as such in the early episodes, so at least he doesn't seem like a candidate for becoming (an accidental) teen dad!

Looking back on the last page or two, thinking about Daniel's obsession with Miyagi, and I honestly think it makes sense. Daniel doesn't seem to have had many struggles once he got to adulthood and became successful with his dealership, and in the times where he did have problems, Miyagi was always there to help him figure it out. Now that he's more or less having a mid-life crisis, he's dealing with a major life issue on his own(in his mind, despite having a loving family) and is naturally thinking back to the teachings of the one person that always seemed to have the answers.

I think that is why Daniel had such a hard time being a teacher, because he didn't have a lifetime of failure to tap into like Johnny did. Johnny saw a chance to give kids the life purpose he never had, whereas Daniel obviously WANTS to help these kids out, but is having trouble finding the teachable moments in his own life past high school.

I've always liked that there isn't really an actual villain(besides Krease and maybe Hawk at this point) in the show, just different people with different visions, that more or less want to do the same things. Both Johnny and Daniel seem to really just want to help these kids out, but may never understand the motivations of the other. Daniel is always going to be that New Jersey hothead that has a meltdown when faced with any inconvenience(see Trees, Miyagi's Little).

37 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

I've always liked that there isn't really an actual villain(besides Krease and maybe Hawk at this point) in the show, just different people with different visions, that more or less want to do the same things. Both Johnny and Daniel seem to really just want to help these kids out, but may never understand the motivations of the other.

This is very good point and I noticed that too. Even Kreese had a small moment of redemption, when Johnny followed him to his actual place of residence and he was kinda forced to come clean about his past (which was way less glorious than he had led on).

Now, that good will didn't last very long as he was soon up to his old tricks by poisoning Hawk's mind further and pushing him clearly to the heel territory.

Johnny's (like Daniel's) heart is in the right place, but they see things so differently that they demonize each other, even when the other guy hasn't actually done anything wrong. (e.g. Daniel taking in Johnny's kid and Johnny seeing that as a direct insult to him, or Hawk and pals messing up Miyagi Dojo and Daniel thinking that Johnny put them up to it).

Season 3 sometime next year? Fuck that noise, there may not BE a next year! Well, I'm thankful to have seen this series and it has made my life better in a couple of ways. It also took less time than trying to start watching AEW Dark or NWA Powerrr episodes from Youtube. Finishing the seasons now left a void inside me, but I guess I could re-watch the Karate Kid movies while waiting to see if the season 3 does come out eventually?

On 9/13/2020 at 1:05 PM, Craig H said:

All of this talk really bums me out that S3 is so far off. 

I think I read it would be January or February, which isn't horrible.  Still, I agree, next week would be better!  ?

On 9/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, Casey said:

Does the trademark to Cobra Kai expire when Kreese faked his death/disbanded the dojo? I don't know how shit like that works, but I assume that's what happened and why Johnny was able to use a previously known name with a lot of (negative) clout. I was waiting for that to be mentioned, but instead we got the "I'm taking over the dojo because you're a dumb fuck who had a handshake agreement in the year _____". Which is fine, and made sense, and the events of the finale explain why Johnny would just willingly "hand over" the Cobra Kai name. But still, it's a lingering thought.

Didn't the county board or someone mention that Kreese was permanently banned from running a business in the area?  I mean whatever, I won't argue the legality of fictional karate dojo ownership but it feels like a little bit of a hole.

I fully agree with @Greggulatorthat Robby is just too fucking pretty.  He's born to play the shithead boyfriend role, not the role of street kid made good.

Daniel is a petty lunatic.  He is running a karate dojo for zero money, abandoning his successfully business and family, just to stick it to a guy who was shitty to him for, what, a semester or two of high school 30+ years ago?  Dude treats Cobra Kai like they were Al Quaeda.  WE CAN'T LET COBRA KAI COME BACK!  Holy shit dude.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

Robby is like the newer version of Jonathan Brandis. They're both too good looking, but at the same time, they both have shitheel looks and hairstyles.

Also, yes, Daniel treats Cobra Kai EXACTLY like Al Qaeda. Again, let it fucking go dude. You beat them. Twice. The first time around Johnny told you, "you're all right, LaRusso!" I mean, I doubt Johnny ever invited to the underage keggers he'd throw with Dutch, Bobby, and others, but still, you're seniors in high school and you're all moving on.

PLUS, Daniel has been ultra fucking successful since then and he's seemingly piggybacked off of that one crane kick to create a luxury car dealership. I think what was most aggravating was that the 4 of them all had a nice dinner together and Daniel had to roll his eyes at the detail job on the Challenger he gave Johnny. Like, who cares. It's a tacky as fuck vinyl job on a car that should ONLY have a matte black finish to make it look mean as fuck. Let it go.

Johnny was right when he told LaRusso to make sure his house was in order. Daniel's daughter is off hanging out with pieces of shit (although one turned face, which is cool I guess), the rest of her friends are dicks, they hit and run Johnny's car, and then she got all fucked up at that party. Y'all need to have a family meeting or something because shit is falling apart quick. And of course Daniel blames it all on Johnny. Fuckin' Jersey trash.

• Like 4

Well there was all the shit 2 grown men did to Daniel in 3, which included threating to drop him off a mountain and all.  

If you look at it from a PTSD scenario with Daniel and Cobra Kai, it makes sense.  Especially tossing in mid-life crisis and not having a sage old man to bail your ass out for the first time in your adult life added on.

Johnny should have PTSD.  He had a terrible home life, karate was the only thing he had going for him, and some Jersey shithead took it all away from him with an illegal kick.?

I find it amazing that this show is not actually sponsored by Coors.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

When I was a teenager I truly believed that Miller was "The Champagne of Beers", then I spent 2 1/2 years in Germany for my Uncle Sam and developed a somewhat more refined palate. As for Robby, he is very much in that mode of 80's era soap opera Teen Beat Bad Boys that ultimately turn Face. Hence, he fits right into the Karate Kidaverse.

• Like 2

I know more than a few people who legit enjoy Miller High Life in an unironic way. Even my wife will enjoy a High Life every once in a great while. To me, that beer, Banquet Coors, and regular Budweiser are all really disgusting. I can't drink any without gagging and spitting it out. Coors Light though? I think I could drink 24 of them and not get drunk. In fact, I know from past experience that's possible, but that was over the course of an entire day.

I must say I'm a bit offended by all this "too pretty" talk about Robbie! I'm offended for all the pretty boys around the globe, deemed assholes by those of us with only above average looks! Especially when Robbie turned out to be a good kid who just needed to be reached. Of course, depending on how Miguel ends up, that was an involuntary manslaughter  (attempt) or an attempted second degree murder  (no, I don't know these things ) or something bad with likely consequences. But  hey, calling him too pretty is still out of line! Like he could help it!

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I think I read it would be January or February, which isn't horrible.  Still, I agree, next week would be better!  ?

Didn't the county board or someone mention that Kreese was permanently banned from running a business in the area?  I mean whatever, I won't argue the legality of fictional karate dojo ownership but it feels like a little bit of a hole.

I fully agree with @Greggulatorthat Robby is just too fucking pretty.  He's born to play the shithead boyfriend role, not the role of street kid made good.

Daniel is a petty lunatic.  He is running a karate dojo for zero money, abandoning his successfully business and family, just to stick it to a guy who was shitty to him for, what, a semester or two of high school 30+ years ago?  Dude treats Cobra Kai like they were Al Quaeda.  WE CAN'T LET COBRA KAI COME BACK!  Holy shit dude.

Yeah it was a semester, the beach party was right before school started and the tourney was December 19. Now I kind of wish they toss in some back story on what happened during the second part of the school year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Yeah it was a semester, the beach party was right before school started and the tourney was December 19. Now I kind of wish they toss in some back story on what happened during the second part of the school year. 

I'd imagine Johnny and his friends caught a bit of shit from their classmates afterwards, but considering they'd been the cool kids for years it probably didn't damage their clout too much. Plus this happened right before holiday break and there was no social media at the time so it probably blew over in a few weeks. The Cobra Kai crew remained popular for the rest of the school year and just let Daniel do his own thing. They might have given eachother the odd nod of respect in the hallway but were too busy with their own business to care. Daniel got popular within his own group of friends (the kids he went to the party with at the beginning) but wasn't the next Zack Morris or anything.

While Daniel and Miyagi spent the summer in Okinawa, Johnny and his friends spent the time partying or going on fancy family vacations (who knows, maybe he and Kreese were just a few blocks from eachother in Tahiti). By the time they got back and Terry Silver started enacting his plan, Johnny had gone off to college and without any internet or friends still in town, didn't hear anything about what happened in Part 3.

I doubt Johnny made it more than a semester or two at college before he partied too much to keep up with his classes and ended up flunking out. He spent the rest of the time in the interim bumming around, getting whatever money he could from his parents, and being a classic case of someone who peaked in high school and had no ambitions to get him anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'd imagine Johnny and his friends caught a bit of shit from their classmates afterwards, but considering they'd been the cool kids for years it probably didn't damage their clout too much. Plus this happened right before holiday break and there was no social media at the time so it probably blew over in a few weeks. The Cobra Kai crew remained popular for the rest of the school year and just let Daniel do his own thing. They might have given eachother the odd nod of respect in the hallway but were too busy with their own business to care. Daniel got popular within his own group of friends (the kids he went to the party with at the beginning) but wasn't the next Zack Morris or anything.

While Daniel and Miyagi spent the summer in Okinawa, Johnny and his friends spent the time partying or going on fancy family vacations (who knows, maybe he and Kreese were just a few blocks from eachother in Tahiti). By the time they got back and Terry Silver started enacting his plan, Johnny had gone off to college and without any internet or friends still in town, didn't hear anything about what happened in Part 3.

I doubt Johnny made it more than a semester or two at college before he partied too much to keep up with his classes and ended up flunking out. He spent the rest of the time in the interim bumming around, getting whatever money he could from his parents, and being a classic case of someone who peaked in high school and had no ambitions to get him anywhere.

I don’t think Johnny flunked out of college, he bailed after losing the diving team captainship to Thornton Mellon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Mister TV said:

13 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Guessing that since Kreese attacked his students in the parking lot at the end of the night followed by a Miyagi save, probably they were cool?

13 hours ago, Execproducer said:

And Allie left Daniel for a quarterback. Probably because he never stopped being a whiny little punk.

Daniel fits so well with the Harvey Keitel quote from "From Dusk Til Dawn," "are you that much of a loser that you don't know when you've won?"

11 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

While Daniel and Miyagi spent the summer in Okinawa, Johnny and his friends spent the time partying or going on fancy family vacations (who knows, maybe he and Kreese were just a few blocks from eachother in Tahiti).

tahiti.jpg

To circle back around, I don't think Daniel had much of an issue with Johnny, at least at the start of season 1(or even later tbh). He seemed genuinely happy to see Johnny at the dealership, and probably thought they were more cool with each other than they really were. Johnny gave him respect at the end of the tournament, but like Humanchessgame said, probably didn't have much to say to him afterwards.  Hell, even later in the series, you can tell that Daniel is holding onto the grudge because he thinks he's supposed to. Everytime he lets his guard down, he and Johnny get along.

His issue is obviously with Cobra Kai itself, because when he sees that name, he sees Kreese, Silver, Barnes and *sigh* Snake. You know, the dudes who legit tried to murder and maim him. If Silver and his flunkies were such actual GD psychopaths, then the whole thing would have been ancient history. Kreese would have been hanging out at one of those bars with all the oldheads and vets, complaining about foreigners within weeks, never to be seen again.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 3:23 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

I just finished Season One. Fantastic. Loved every second of it. Johnny is the best. Whoever dreamed of this reboot is a genius. 

The series itself is a damn masterpiece as far as entertainment, nostalgia and character-development go! However, these guys can totally thank "How I Met Your Mother" and Barney Stintson-character for the original concept, and the fact that there was enough interest for this to get off the ground and become something this awesome. The world is indeed a (slightly) better place for having this series in it. Mine is, at the very least.