DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA Playoffs: SEMIFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

Boston turned in one of the worst shooting performances of all time.  I'm a lapsed NBA fan who only watches the occasional playoff/finals game, but this new style of jacking up 100 3's isn't my thing. It's especially bad when they aren't going in. Lebron could take any East team to the finals. I'd be pretty surprised if Golden State doesn't win game 7 vs an injured Chris Paul, and then go on to stomp this Cavs team.

That was incredible.  I have no dog in this fight and I found myself pulling for Lebron because I want to see the greatest postseason performance in NBA history continue.  

• Like 3

I am pretty sure if the Celtics had a couple years more experience they wouldn't lose this game or series.  But even then Lebron would have made it 6 or 7 pretty much all by himself

But I am sure we will just hear all day tomorrow "Jordan would have beat them in 4 games".  Probably so but who fucking cares.   Unless we start given different Hall of Fame stuff based on rankings it doesn't matter whether he #1 or #2

• Like 2

Does this post-season performance shut people up about trading Tatum? I was so confused when people were putting his name out there in those star hunting trades. He's already this good offensively. What's he going to look like in 3 years when his defence develops? 

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am pretty sure if the Celtics had a couple years more experience they wouldn't lose this game or series.  But even then Lebron would have made it 6 or 7 pretty much all by himself

But I am sure we will just hear all day tomorrow "Jordan would have beat them in 4 games".  Probably so but who fucking cares.   Unless we start given different Hall of Fame stuff based on rankings it doesn't matter whether he #1 or #2

a symptom of the Hot Take Cottage Industry disease afflicting sports talk (and not just sports talk) these days.

I know the Celtics didn't have Kyrie or Hayward and the remaining young Celtics played assiduously.

I know whoever comes out of the west is a better team than the Cavs and should beat them handily.

...but Cavs just won a game 7 to go to the Finals on someone else's court and Jeff Green was the 2nd leading scorer. JEFF GREEN. That dude is probably on a minimum level contract.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Does this post-season performance shut people up about trading Tatum? I was so confused when people were putting his name out there in those star hunting trades. He's already this good offensively. What's he going to look like in 3 years when his defence develops? 

He's stepping up his defense too.  Part of being a good defensive player is effort and accepting the challenge.   He's doing that.  He wanted to defend LeBron down the stretch and he made some decent plays on the ball,  but LeBron is LeBron and Tatum was called for a couple fouls he didn't like but it's all in the game.  

• Like 1

Jeff Green has ability.  He shows flashes of it once a month.  Obviously I saw a lot of Jeff Green and he is a very frustrating player to watch.  He has tools,   he can shoot a little and he's explosive.  But he also plays like he's hungover or hasn't slept the night before.  It didn't surprise me at all to see him step up and have a good game.  He's always had that.  He's not really what I would call a winning player though.  If the Cavs are going to do damage in the finals I don't think it will be because of Jeff Green.   They will need Love back and they will need Korver to hit these open 3's that he's been missing. 

So the reason Kyrie Irving wasn't at game 7 which pissed more than a few people off was that he had emergency nasal surgery the day or so before.  Whether this is a true story or not it would have helped if they would have told people this before the game so he doesn't get slaughtered by the media.   

Although correct me if I am wrong but has Gordon Heyward been anywhere in this series on the bench?   Granted nobody thinks Gordon is a "leader" on the team

I'm pretty sure Hayward was on the bench last night.

Cynically, this works out great for Kyrie. Team looked great, collapsed down the stretch because they didn't have a guy who could just go get points in the pressure cooker of the final minutes of game 7 against LeBron and company. Easy narrative that if he had been there, they'd be getting ready for game one instead of making tee times.

US Rep - Houston Sheila Jackson Lee tweeted that CP3 would be on the court, but alas, he’s out. 

In Harden (and Gordon and Ariza and Tucker and Clint and Gerald and Luc and anyone else who might come off the bench) we trust!