DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA Playoffs: SEMIFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

Rockets were 5-2 against the Warriors this season (regular season and playoffs) when Harden and Chris Paul both played. They were 0-3 when one of them was out.

also, Rockets 0-6 in the playoffs when Scott Foster refs one of their games.

The records show Donaghy placed 134 calls to referee Scott Foster — more than the 126 calls Donaghy made to his bookie — between October 2006 and April 2007, the period during which he has confessed to either betting on games or passing on game information to gamblers. The majority of the phone calls lasted no more than two minutes and occurred prior to and after games Donaghy officiated and on which he admits wagering.

With the exception of 150 calls Donaghy placed to Thomas Martino, to whom he says he provided “picks” to win games and who was the middleman between the disgraced referee and a bookie named James Battista, the ex-ref phoned no one more than he called Foster. During this period, the most calls Donaghy made to any other referee were 13.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:16 PM, Lawful Metal said:

It’s ok. Everybody sleeping on Houston. Even though we have the #1 seed. Even though we won the head to head matchups. Even though we got the MVP.

and we got Clint Capela.

• Haha 1

That was Vintage Bitch James Harden shit right there. And lol @ Houston continually bailing out GSW by non-stop chucking up bad, rushed three pointers in the 2nd half even though they hadn't hit one in forever. They completely abandoned the Harden/Capela PnR that was killing the Warriors early on. But, sure. It's the refs' fault. And Chris Paul's injury. That's like the Clinton campaigners blaming the 2016 election on Russia and Comey so they had to do zero self-reflection on how they done fucked up. Hold that L.

This game had me and my friend just cracking up from beginning to end. So much goofy shits. From Anderson doing the shoot dance, to Swaggy doing a full three rotation log roll only to get up and defend Harden with the ball, to Jordan Bell being awesome and still fucking up three separate dunks, to the weird jittery mess of offense from both teams throughout. Not great but super enjoyable.

PJ Tucker is such a good support guy. Chris Paul is fantastic. I'll always have a soft spot for D'Antoni from his Suns days too. But fuck the Rockets and especially fuck James Harden. Hopefully they can shed some of the dead salary, add another high end player and come back healthy next May so we don't have to hear excuses. 

• Like 2

Sometimes the simple answer is the right one.  We can talk about missed 3's or referees or a billion other things but it all comes back to CP3 missing the final two games.  Shit happens,  injuries happen but it wasn't really something Houston should be expected to overcome.   If Steph injures his ankle in game 1 of the finals and LeBron hoists up Larry O'Brien it'll be the same thing. 

Somehow the Golden State Warriors overcame the lost of Iggy, their Finals MVP, and scrap together 2 wins with their depleted roster.

To be serious, Warriors benefited from the Chris Paul injury, no doubt, but it's not their fault it happen (well, at least not this time...). It sucks it happen when it did, even knowing Chris Paul's injury history.  Warriors did what they had to do the last two games.  Basically waited Houston out. 

15 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

That was the most illegal moving screen I’ve ever seen

Wait, was this the Jordan Bell-on-James Harden one that set up Curry for a 3?

Because I watched that.

Yeah, it deserved a foul.

On Harden, for grabbing Bell's left arm and pulling him to make it look like Harden was getting fouled rather than doing the fouling. 

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Do we not believe the Celtics account for the Cavs with Kyrie and Hayward? Or just giving Paul much more benefit of the doubt?

On paper, you'd think so, but until somebody in the East eliminates James, I think all the benefit of the doubt is reserved for him.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Wait, was this the Jordan Bell-on-James Harden one that set up Curry for a 3?

Because I watched that.

Yeah, it deserved a foul.

On Harden, for grabbing Bell's left arm and pulling him to make it look like Harden was getting fouled rather than doing the fouling. 

There was a Houston moving screen in the 4th quarter last night, and I sat on the couch asking "How the fuck do they not call that?????", and then the ball went down to the other end, and Golden State got away with an equally bullshit moving screen. I guess I have officially become cranky old "back in my day, that shit was illegal" guy now.

• Like 1

They've just given up on calling that shit. The way teams now force switches by walking into a teammate's defender and just bulling them out of the way is so silly. 

About the "it should've been a shooting foul" three in the second half, I'm conflicted. On one hand, the contact clearly occured before Harden started his shooting movement, so the shot shouldn't have counted.

On the other hand, NBA refs have been incorrectly calling those kind of plays shooting fouls for years, so it was reasonable to assume they that time as well.