DVDVR Message Board

Money in the Bank IX - 6/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

I care more about Charlotte than I ever have about Asuka (while she's been on the main roster, anyway). It was a huge mistake to have Asuka debut as undefeated. She should have lost to Ember Moon in that final match they had.

17 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Except their last match could have been a Last Man Standing, and it still would have been a draw.

I mean, if you want to be that way, they could easily do your idea of an Iron Man match and then it comes to the tie breaker/sudden death, and have the referee declare that neither man can continue due to whatever (fatigue, nut shots, etc).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean, if you want to be that way, they could easily do your idea of an Iron Man match and then it comes to the tie breaker/sudden death, and have the referee declare that neither man can continue due to whatever (fatigue, nut shots, etc).

Fair enough, but I think there's still a difference between "This match type could theoretically end in a no-contest" and "This match type could end with the same non-finish we just saw". And they've had a Last Man Standing match actually end on a double ten-count at least once, so it's not just theoretical.

But your objection just throws it back to my original question: is there any stipulation left they could use that would actually give fans confidence we'd get a decisive winner? Or have they killed all their matches with bad writing?

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Fair enough, but I think there's still a difference between "This match type could theoretically end in a no-contest" and "This match type could end with the same non-finish we just saw". And they've had a Last Man Standing match actually end on a double ten-count at least once, so it's not just theoretical.

But your objection just throws it back to my original question: is there any stipulation left they could use that would actually give fans confidence we'd get a decisive winner? Or have they killed all their matches with bad writing?

Unless they go the way of Rock/Mankind from 1999, could an I Quit match work? I don't see how they could get out of that stipulation, besides using the aforementioned pre-recorded bit.

What as the LMS match that ended in a double ten count? I've honestly never heard of that happening. Was it in the period between 2007 and 2011/2012, when I wasn't watching?

Beyond the hot shotting to the title picture and nonsensical booking with regards to win/loss records, my main gripe with putting Rhonda in this match is that she's still green as grass.  Her match at Mania over-delivered but there was a lot of smoke and mirrors there.  Mickie and Natalya are the closest they have to seasoned vets who can help a rookie learn and are exactly the types of people she should be working with at this point.

16 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Also, they could easily have a decent match that is interrupted by Alexa and Mickie for the non finish.

i thought about that but how many non-finishes do we want to see on PPV this year. WWE is always booking themselves into a corner. 

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What a joke.   Ronda was very impressive at WrestleMania but this has fucking disaster written all over it.   

I'll go ahead and be polite and say this match will likely not be a technical masterpiece. 

Yeah, this sucks.  There’s absolutely no way this ends with Nia’s experience and size advantage getting the best of Rousey in a short, competitive match, thus getting Nia more over with any casual viewers tuning in to see Ronda after these upfronts.  Nope, the only possible outcome is Nia being squashed and hotshotting the title to an unprepared Rousey, so we should definitely get out our pitchforks now and not wait for the show to see what happens.  I mean, it’s not like WWE has had any recent title matches that ended differently than everyone expected.  We should probably go ahead and march on Stanford now.

6 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Yeah, this sucks.  There’s absolutely no way this ends with Nia’s experience and size advantage getting the best of Rousey in a short, competitive match, thus getting Nia more over with any casual viewers tuning in to see Ronda after these upfronts.  Nope, the only possible outcome is Nia being squashed and hotshotting the title to an unprepared Rousey, so we should definitely get out our pitchforks now and not wait for the show to see what happens.  I mean, it’s not like WWE has had any recent title matches that ended differently than everyone expected.  We should probably go ahead and march on Stanford now.

You could be right but Ronda probably isn't taking a fall nor should she so the only remaining option is Nia loses which sucks or a non-finish/DQ finish which also sucks. 

Nia's reign has been pretty terrible. She shouldn't have been booked as a victim of bullying that finally beat her tormentor. She should have always been a monster heel. Ronda would be better off working with someone more experienced, like Nattie or Mickie this early on.