DVDVR Message Board

E3 2018 THREAD

RIPPA

Boy, this painstaking rundown of a bunch of Smash characters is really lame, actually. IDC about how many frames some move now takes or whatever, show something else. 

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I'm kind of amused the announcement of Fallout 76 is getting so much local press.  Local paper had a decent-sized article on the game.  Last time a video game was even mentioned in the paper was.... 7-10 years ago when the same paper had a weekly games column?  It's because the game is set in West Virginia (I live in Morgantown).  

Apparently, even depicting WV as a bombed-out wasteland populated by scavengers and atomic mutants is a good thing.  The state is like Vince McMahon in that its willing to chase mainstream publicity, even if it's negative.

Then again, the last pop culture media I can remember set in the state was that documentary film series, Wrong Turn, so....

If there is a Don Knott Street in this game I am going to shit.

5 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

They are literally doing patch notes, which is both ridiculous and amazing.

I like the idea that someone high up at NoA was irritated that people complain about Nintendo's patch notes not being at all descriptive and decided to show people some goddam patch notes...in the E3 Direct. 

Vindictive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

.. Did we just seriously get jebaited about a new Metroid game for a Ridley reveal? Goddamn.

Wait, didn't they announce the Switch version last year?  While more about it would have been nice much like with Pokemon RPG I'll take it as they're still being worked on.

EDIT:  Here's the article stating what's been said so far about it.  https://www.cnet.com/how-to/metroid-prime-4-on-nintendo-switch-samus-aran/

Well, nothing on Yoshi, Star Fox Grand Prix, and thirty minutes on Smash, a game that I enjoy, but am not serious about.

That was a real let-down, man. 

I was pretty disappointed by the Nintendo Direct because half of the fucking thing reviewed every big move and character in Smash Bros. Like the Giant Bomb dudes said, everyone is going to buy Smash Bros. anyway so why waste THAT much time doing such an info dump like that? Daemon X Machina looked cool as hell and I don't know what to think about Super Mario Party.

Still, I expected more. Hell, could we have had ANYTHING more about No More Heroes? Maybe some of the Nintendo online service stuff? A Metroid teaser? For fucks sake, we got a teaser for an Elder Scrolls game that probably won't be out until 2020 or 2021.

But no, here's an eternity of information about Smash Bros.

I wanted to see that Yoshi game some more. :(

Also more about the N64 Classic, if it exists. Or the online service. Or StarFox Grand Prix. 

51 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Doesn't Square Enix have a show later this year in Japan?  A lot of people figured they were saving a big announcement or so for that event.

Pretty much. Square has their own event and usually save the biggest things for it. E3 was about KH3 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider for them. One game is coming out this fall, and the other was before getting pushed back to January. The Avengers game and the FF7 remake are likely another year or two away.

• Like 1

Pokemon lets go notes

Rival is replaced with your buddy. Lot of free poke balls. You have to have a type advantage to face gym leaders. Some of the trainers have their Pokemon levelled lower than they were in Yellow. Safari Zone is removed.  The gender forms and  shiny forms are in with Alola mons. Pikachu learns double kick. There's more changes but I didn't bother to see them all.

These lets go games are meant to be entry level Pokemon while gen 8 is for the hardcore.

1528825895286.jpg

Edited by Dragonzombie
  • Like 1

They're going to make a killing off the Let's Go games, especially the bundle.  It also could revitalize interest in Pokemon Go which while popular isn't insanely popular like when it first came out.  I'm not a big fan of the series but my wife is practically doing cartwheels over all this news.  As for Nintendo Direct I was generally happy with it and I did like all the Smash news.  It wasn't until you folks said "Wait, where's [insert game here]?" that it made me wonder after the fact.  But despite that I liked it.

As far as E3 in general goes one thing I really missed were sites that showed a lot of what was at the booths.  You have all kinds of elaborate displays and whatever else going on and I don't really see these featured on sites anywhere.  If anything it used to be easier year ago than it is now.  I guess it's all about Instagram now or wherever else.  Anybody know of any particular people/companies that are just taking a bunch of pictures and putting it online?  Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I'm legitimately going to buy a Playstation to play this game at this point.

Same. I rarely play video games. But I had the first heavily recommended to me by someone who figured I'd enjoy it, so I caved and borrowed their console for a week while they were out of town. Good stuff. 

Between this and Red Dead Redemption 2, I may finally convince myself to get my first console in a long, long time. 

FINAL RANKING OF REVEALED GAMES I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY THAT WERE SHOWN DURING ACTUAL E3 PRESS CONFERENCES SO THAT'S WHY HITMAN 2 AND DEAD OR ALIVE 6 AREN'T ON THIS LIST

1. Trials Rising
2. Nioh 2
3. Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice
4. Babylon's Fall (always down for Platinum and I will not apologize)
5. DOOM Eternal
6. Control
7. Killer Queen Black (only last because I'm worried I wont be able to get friends together to play it)

AN UNORDERED LIST OF OBSERVATIONS FROM THE MONDAY PRESS CONFERENCES THAT CONTRIBUTE TO THE IMAGE THAT I DON'T LIKE FUN

-everyone flipping out about the Last Of Us 2 kiss fatigues me. Never mind about representation being used to avoid having to actually employ progressive hiring processes, that's all the obvious stuff. It's that this is from a studio that not nine months ago swept sexual harassment allegations under the rug with a weak ass statement about how their HR department didn't see anything. It's almost like the producer accused was a more valuable human resource than the victim! So seeing a bunch of people that claim progressivist stances let them off the hook because of a CG kiss? Fatiguing.

-Ghost of Tsushima looks shit hot and I have been waiting for a long time for a game about the Mongols, but God of War ruined my ability to deal with Western-Developed Loot-Driven Violent Mopefests. I need to know that there is not crafting or loot before I commit to playing it. Also it would be nice if there was a way to change the character voices to Japanese so I don't have to listen to an entire game of voice actors doing their best Ken Watanabe. Then again, given that their presentation opened with a flute solo from some UCLA Musicology Professor, I've got my doubts that they're interested in doing something like that.

-i love how much of a trainwreck the ubisoft conference always is, even with the knowledge that if anyone is actually going to support their multiplayer games long into the future it's them. Also it's nice of them to make sure I have zero interest in Beyond Good & Evil 2 with their Gig App Art Asset Bullshit.

-I also love how Square isn't pretending that the FF7 remake isn't just the new Kingdom Hearts 3 as far as "Here comes fifteen years of trailers."

19 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

everyone flipping out about the Last Of Us 2 kiss fatigues me. Never mind about representation being used to avoid having to actually employ progressive hiring processes, that's all the obvious stuff. It's that this is from a studio that not nine months ago swept sexual harassment allegations under the rug with a weak ass statement about how their HR department didn't see anything. It's almost like the producer accused was a more valuable human resource than the victim! So seeing a bunch of people that claim progressivist stances let them off the hook because of a CG kiss? Fatiguing.

While I wasn't going on and on about the CG kiss I could definitely see why people would find it a big deal.  But after reading your explanation sure enough this was an issue in October.  https://kotaku.com/former-naughty-dog-employee-says-he-was-fired-after-fil-1819557683  So much for that I guess.