Marty Scurll (Bullet Club) - 8

Chris Sabin (RoH) - 6

Dragon Lee (CMLL) - 6

El Desperado (Suzuki-gun) - 6

SHO (CHAOS) - 6

Ryusuke Taguchi (Taguchi Japan) - 6

2018 BOSJ Finals - Korakuen  Hall, Tokyo

Main Event: Best of the Super Junior 2018 Final

"Bone Solider" Taiji Ishimori (Bullet Club) (A Block Winner) vs. "Time Bomb" Hiromu Takahashi (Los Ingobernables de Japon) (B Block Winner) (TOURNAMENT WINNER)

*FINAL

Block B looks really good and I'm not sure who's going to come out of it, Hiromu, Marty, Taguchi or Desperado seem most likely, maybe Kushida but he hasn't been as prominent lately as the others.

Block A looks like it's probably Osprey or Ishimori. Block A does not look as fun but having Tiger Mask and Flip both in it will do that. I'll be interested in seeing who Sho and Yoh look as singles. 

B will have some fun stuff.  I'm about 99% on Ishimori wining the whole thing with the standard new guy push and that they're running Ishimori/Ospreay Night 1 of the tourny so that's out of the way and won't burn it out bringing it right back for the Jr. Title match at Dominion.  However with Ishimori coming out of A block, I don't know who you put him up against coming out of B block outside of Lee or Sabin.

I'm kinda half wondering ,with Rey working Dominion and his opponent not being announced, if the winner of this get's HIM at Dominion then they save the Jr Title challenge for San Fran.

So this year, we lost Ricochet, Volador, Liger, Taichi, and Taka; and gained Ishimori, Flip, Sabin, and R3K.

I guess I’m interested to see how 3K fares in singles, but that’s a huge downgrade in talent.

4 hours ago, Dewar said:

They could not round up someone better than Sabin for this?

They wound up with Flip as well, so I'm gonna go ahead and say no, no they couldn't.

I don't disagree. But right now, he's nothing but athleticism and potential.

Also, the Earth is fucking round and cereal goes in the bowl before the milk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the notable matches will probably end up on AXS on a pretty substantial delay, but if you want to see it in real time, you'll need NJ World.  I think Night 1 is free, though.

I could really use a NJPW tournament in my life, this couldn't be timed any better.

Here's to Ruler of the fucking WORLD Hiromu Takahashi continuing to establish himself as the only choice for our Post-Liger Big King of Littles, Ishimori establishing himself, Despy and BUSHI hopefully working hard, and Marty Scurll making me wonder why the hell I like him on BTE.

Kanemaru using young lion as a projectile was top stuff.

ACH had his, I think, AAW belt? Not sure if that means anything, but that never stopped anyone from speculating. Glad that he picked up a win and I hope that he ends up having a decent run this year.

Flip Gordon went All In with probably more high spots than other three matches combined. I hope that this was because it was opening day and he wanted to leave an impression since other shows might have smaller viewership. But if this is going to happen in every match then my head might start hurting.

Ropongi 3K continue their slow climb upwards with Yoh needing a flash pin to beat Bushi.

I was honestly let down by the main event. Didn't feel like they clicked that well, but it is understandable since if I'm not mistaken they never really faced each other in singles nor in tags before. I also didn't really understand if he hit some variation of his finisher earlier that Ospreay kicked out off or did he actually hit his finisher twice in the match?

• Like 1

Fun start, but nothing blow away.

—Kanemaru made me enjoy a Tiger Mask match by sheer force of his grumpy drunk uncle charisma.

—Flip had the most awkward springboards for someone who managed to hit everything anyway, but he seemed to pull the crowd to his side, so. I just watched WALTER last night, though, so ACH being so chop focused wasn’t exactly what I wanted to see. Still, he showed more than “happy to be here” intensity, which was needed. He wrestled like someone who could win this. (He won’t. But.)

—YOH didn’t have quite as much luck winning fan support; which, considering the match layout, meant an only ok piece of singles business between tag guys. And I think I want to like YOH more than most, so it’s possible even that assessment is too generous.

—Ishimori as Bone Soldier, only not... It was a fun red herring to hide his debut, but  I don’t know how I feel about tugging that gimmick into the future. He also seemed unsure when to be vicious and when to play to the crowd, but you could argue that just makes him fit right in with Bullet Club. I wish Ospreay would settle down with the screaming, especially considering this was an obviously abbreviated (but promising) match that they’ll build on later. @Archibald the announcer erroneously called his tombstone-into-gutbuster the Bloody Cross, when the move is a Bloody Sunday-into-Codebreaker; so he only hit it once.

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

—YOH didn’t have quite as much luck winning fan support; which, considering the match layout, meant an only ok piece of singles business between tag guys. And I think I want to like YOH more than most, so it’s possible even that assessment is too generous.

Well Flip got crowd behind him while doing all those crazy spots. But once action would slow down you'd immediately hear ACH chants. And I think that might have hurt Yoh, crowd might have been a bit overheated after all that flipping and it was harder for them to get into much slower match immediately.

But I'm not sure if I'd agree that it was a singles match between two tag guys considering that Bushi has lots of singles under his belt and his singles matches are usually decent and It is not out of a question that Bushi will get another singles title shot this year.

I think it was a combination of the crowd being burnt from the previous match and the fact that it was another match in the weird   R3K/LIJ dynamic, where R3K are supposed to the babyfaces but the crowd likes LIJ more.  So Bushi working methodical heel and Yoh fighting from underneath just didn't get over at all.

• Like 2

Looks like B Block is gonna be the one worth watching. Sabin seems healthy and capable, SHO looked pretty good in what I guess is his highest profile singles match ever???, Taguchi getting his Guchi worked over is a less annoying respite than it could be, and Hiromu remains *yen sign*.

Dragon Lee wrestling SHO like a proto-Hiromu, just sprinting into strikes and spots, was really fun—and yeah, the best showcase for SHO to date. And Hiromu was as compelling as ever, while Scurll kept up nicely. (I know aspects of his gimmick are repetitious, but the crowd eats it up.) Sabin and Kushida provided a necessary technical counterpoint to the highspots preceding and to come (and Taguchi’s stuff), and the winner demonstrates why these “anyone can win!” tournaments stay exciting.