DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's straight out of one of the best Tragedy lyrics: "Why bother to burn the books/when no one reads them anyway?"

It would also be interesting to know how Cera and Alia came to terms with which of them would be in the interview: Rock, paper, scissors, perhaps?  Did they just realize one more guy at the party would be the worst idea? Thankfully she was the one person there to make sure shit wouldn't slide. 

Also similar to a great Rage Against The Machine lyric "we ain't gotta burn the books we just remove em"

I'm not following the new Tambor stuff.  I need my brainpower for.... things.  I gather he's some sort of horrible ass to work with, and Bateman and a couple of of the others are reluctantly making excuses for him?

20 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I'm not following the new Tambor stuff.  I need my brainpower for.... things.  I gather he's some sort of horrible ass to work with, and Bateman and a couple of of the others are reluctantly making excuses for him?

Sans the reluctance, you've got the just. 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:03 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

...replacing Connie Britton, who was only signed for season one and didn't re-up.

Season one only mildly interested me.  Britton's departure is probably enough for me to start skipping it.  I may end up not watching any Fox shows come Fall.

Harvey Birdman returning is surprising.  Can we get more Sealab next year?  Or, hell, maybe even another season of Venture Bros (now I'm just talking crazy).

Summer 2018, per the AV Club (confirmed by Adult Swim).

EDIT: @J.T. Amazon officially picked up The Expanse. Bezos announced it tonight at some event.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2018 at 4:17 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sans the reluctance, you've got the just. 

I read some things slower than I should. So I am finishing the Cross interview and it seems Jessica Walter had a blow up with a stand in because Portia Di Rossi was absent. 

Spoiler

Did this occur during the filming of the fifth season? This was just towards the end. I don't know exactly, but I would say in the last month of shooting, give or take.

So are you saying there were multiple outbursts while filming? No, no, no. With Jeffrey, it was once that I'm aware of, that I was on set for.

But you're saying there was a [separate] outburst involving Jessica as well? Yeah—I'm trying to think, I'm sure other people have kind of gotten pissy. But to Jessica's credit, she felt bad, she apologized. Portia [di Rossi] wasn't around, so there was a stand-in for her for months and months and months, and there was this incident, but it didn't have the same kind of feeling that Jeffrey's did. Jeffrey's took a lot of the focus. And again, I don't condone that behavior when anybody does it. And that's with crewmembers as well. There's just no excuse.

Maybe sometimes dead is better. 

21 hours ago, Casey said:

Summer 2018, per the AV Club (confirmed by Adult Swim).

EDIT: @J.T. Amazon officially picked up The Expanse. Bezos announced it tonight at some event.

I am a big fan of Venture Brothers. But If I am honest, it is not good enough to be this slow. 

You know, the internet is quite a weird place. Specifically based on dudes on this specific forum talking about them, I've watched The Good Place, Atlanta, Killing Eve and Barry and loved the shit out of all of them. I mean, I'm a white guy from Ireland, I couldn't be more white but series two of Atlanta is one of my all time favourite series'. Is that irrelevant? Probably. But the other shows are fun as shit. I mean, some of you have shitty taste sometimes but then you don't then I guess. 

I'm rambling and off to watch Killing Eve again and slowly fall in love with Jodie Comer and try to pretend my wife doesn't notice.

As you were.

• Like 2

Finished watching season 2 of 13 Reasons Why.  I loved the heck out of the first season - thought it was powerful, thought-provoking TV. 

Season 2 however...

This is not great TV.  It's disjointed as all heck thanks to the storyline conceit of a trial based around Hannah's parents suing the school district because of bullying.  So you get every kid telling their story, resulting in everything jumping around all over the place.  In addition to that, the kids lie left and right, making it really hard to discern what actually happened at times.  Perhaps that's the point but it makes for not-great viewing.  On top of that, this season they more than doubled down on the "shock" factor as they seemingly swing for the fences on every possible "worst thing to ever happen to a teen" and roll them all into this one school.  

Since I can't seem to do spoilers correctly, I'll just end with: Mediocre season, which is very disappointing.

19 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

You know, the internet is quite a weird place. Specifically based on dudes on this specific forum talking about them, I've watched The Good Place, Atlanta, Killing Eve and Barry and loved the shit out of all of them. I mean, I'm a white guy from Ireland, I couldn't be more white but series two of Atlanta is one of my all time favourite series'. Is that irrelevant? Probably. But the other shows are fun as shit. I mean, some of you have shitty taste sometimes but then you don't then I guess. 

I'm rambling and off to watch Killing Eve again and slowly fall in love with Jodie Comer and try to pretend my wife doesn't notice.

As you were.

Are you.....me? These are exactly my thoughts minus The Good Place and the wife part.

19 hours ago, Tabe said:

Finished watching season 2 of 13 Reasons Why.  I loved the heck out of the first season - thought it was powerful, thought-provoking TV. 

Season 2 however...

This is not great TV.  It's disjointed as all heck thanks to the storyline conceit of a trial based around Hannah's parents suing the school district because of bullying.  So you get every kid telling their story, resulting in everything jumping around all over the place.  In addition to that, the kids lie left and right, making it really hard to discern what actually happened at times.  Perhaps that's the point but it makes for not-great viewing.  On top of that, this season they more than doubled down on the "shock" factor as they seemingly swing for the fences on every possible "worst thing to ever happen to a teen" and roll them all into this one school.  

Since I can't seem to do spoilers correctly, I'll just end with: Mediocre season, which is very disappointing.

I'm going to pitch a spin off "13 Reasons I Am Glad Hannah Died".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Victator said:

I'm going to pitch a spin off "13 Reasons I Am Glad Hannah Died".

That seems a little dark but I'm open to it. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, Casey said:

I got this news across my news feed on Sunday!  I was pretty happy to hear it since my boo and I leech off of her daughter's Amazon Prime account in exchange for them leeching off of our Netflix account.

9 hours ago, peterien said:

I’m torn on the finale of Killing Eve, part of me wishes it was a one and done great series of tv but I’m interested to see where they can go with it. 

Jodie Comer> everyone

If the writing stays consistently excellent, I'm good with the series cribbing plots from the other Villanelle novels and embellishing on them.

And yeah, I have developed quite the nerd crush on Jodie Comer's incarnation of Villanelle.  Why am I always drawn to the crazy? 

Jodie Comer has an absolute fuckload of onscreen charisma (among other things) though.

It's perfectly understandable.

Completely different show but people should check out Killing Eve writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Fleabag if you haven't already. You'll never look at an Obama speech the same way again...