DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I've tried, but I can't get into the Terror at all. I'm just not a fan of that period and I don't care for the premise. My wife thinks it's scary and good though. I just don't think it's scary and felt it was overhyped.

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I guess I'm happy for fans of The Expanse. But I'm not going to be a fan of all the false hope spawned by this and B99. 

I dunno, I kind of feel like this might be a new thing. Netflix has no reason to pick up a show like Designated Survivor, but it's looking like they might do it because it's popular with fans. I'm not saying that every year, NBC/ABC/NBC will pick up a show from another network that was cancelled (I left out FOX since they're moving away from sitcoms/dramas/etc), but I think streaming services like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon will revive shows Expanse, B99 and Designated Survivor if the fan outcry is large enough. Why put out stuff like 13 Reasons Why when you can have a(nother) hit on your service if you pick up, say, Lucifer or whatever.

That's all just examples and theoreticals, but I could see it becoming the norm in the future. If Amazon has $1B to spend on a Lord of the Rings TV show, I don't see why they can't revive TV shows that have been on the network/cable channels that fans love and not risk taking a gamble.

I’m not really feeling that. Sure, anyone who aims to be a major player in the streaming business is burning money right now to claw out some market share. But long term, I doubt anyone’s saving Designated Survivor level shows. There’re definitely some question about how many fans are really going to jump on a new service for one of their darlings. And this arms race certainly won’t last forever, so I don’t feel like this is a sign of some new norm. Maybe a few shows get saved this year or next. A few years down the line, when some of the money and competition dry up? Probably not as common. 

B99 feels even less representative of something being saved because of fan outcry. That was just vertical integration working its magic. 

Besides, Amazon is already trimming fat on marginally viewed originals. They have money for LOTR because the edict is to get a big fuckin mega hit or die trying. Completely different thinking. 

13 hours ago, peterien said:

Any of you guys watching Killing Eve? Really enjoying it.

Also, is The Terror worth watching? 

The Terror is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

17 hours ago, peterien said:

Any of you guys watching Killing Eve? Really enjoying it.

I am watching Killing Eve and I like it a lot.  Villanelle is a bit of a cliché (beautiful, intelligent, psychopathic ingénue assassin), but Eve is very engaging character with all of the personality flaws that make her perfect for her line of work.  It is very tragic that her marriage

Spoiler

along with her best friend and former boss, Bob.

will be one of the many casualties that will come as a result of her investigation.

The best thing about the series is that you get to see Eve making the chess moves that place her one step closer to her quarry... but is she the hunter or the hunted?  The title of the series does not exactly fill you with confidence about Eve's chances of capturing or killing Villanelle, much less surviving the inevitable showdown.

Don't read the Codename:  Villanelle novels if you enjoy the show.  The writing for the series is far superior than the books the show is based on.

Yeah.  I was disappointed with the Fahrenheit 451 reboot on HBO.  Too much flash, not enough substance and a needlessly convoluted plot that will make your brain bleed.. 

Michael B. Jordan and Michael Shannon do their best with what they were given, but it's not enough.

Jordan and Sophia Boutella must not have gotten along during filming.  They have zero romantic chemistry together. 

I think part of the problem was attempting to add modern real-life trappings to the story rather than keeping it as a dystopian fairy tale.

Barely anyone actually reads a book anymore so why burn them? 

Why include stuff like the internet and smart phones into the story?  Don't these things by their very existence defeat the purpose of all knowledge being controlled by a central totalitarian government? 

A totalitarian dystopian government could no more effectively crack down on a Dark Web devoted to preserving forbidden knowledge any more than real life governments can.

Reading that interview and it felt like a domestic violence Thanksgiving. Everyone was desperate to get thru dinner without Grampa hitting Granma. 

I guarantee you that was not the only time Tambor was abusive toward someone on that set. 

• Like 2

That's some top notch gaslighting there. I mean, I'm going to enjoy the new season of Arrested Development still, but goddamn has my opinion on the male cast members (sans Cera) taken a hit.

Apparently, Jeff Bezos is a big fan of the books The Expanse is based on, was pissed it wound up on SyFy in the first place, and it was what led to his "find a massive hit" edict. So I'm not sure this is very replicable.

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

is Reed Hastings a huge Designated Survivor fan or something?

No idea, but Netflix has a history of saving shows, I don't think Amazon does unless I'm forgetting something

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I thought it was fascinating how all those guys were basically acting like children trying to de-escalate mom and dad having a fight.  Life imitating art and all that.

That is exactly what I compared it to. Tambor carried such a menace without saying a word. 

My guess is he is probably very nice and likable most of the time, which makes people want to overlook the abuse. I'm sorry I ever tried to defend him. I knew something was wrong when he was rude to Mr.Roper. 

On 5/23/2018 at 4:29 PM, J.T. said:

I am watching Killing Eve and I like it a lot.  Villanelle is a bit of a cliché (beautiful, intelligent, psychopathic ingénue assassin), but Eve is very engaging character with all of the personality flaws that make her perfect for her line of work.  It is very tragic that her marriage

Reveal hidden contents

along with her best friend and former boss, Bob.

will be one of the many casualties that will come as a result of her investigation.

The best thing about the series is that you get to see Eve making the chess moves that place her one step closer to her quarry... but is she the hunter or the hunted?  The title of the series does not exactly fill you with confidence about Eve's chances of capturing or killing Villanelle, much less surviving the inevitable showdown.

Don't read the Codename:  Villanelle novels if you enjoy the show.  The writing for the series is far superior than the books the show is based on.

Agreed on all points. I’m gonna go ahead and guess that her marriage somehow plays a part in how she finishes things with Villanelle. Villanelles smugness will be her downfall. 

I can’t tell if this show is critically great or just a whole bunch of fun, either way if falls in to the Billions area of tv for me. 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:37 AM, J.T. said:

Barely anyone actually reads a book anymore so why burn them?

That's straight out of one of the best Tragedy lyrics: "Why bother to burn the books/when no one reads them anyway?"

It would also be interesting to know how Cera and Alia came to terms with which of them would be in the interview: Rock, paper, scissors, perhaps?  Did they just realize one more guy at the party would be the worst idea? Thankfully she was the one person there to make sure shit wouldn't slide.