DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Most of my DVDs are in boxes or scattered about, so I do like being able to just punch up a random episode of TV show x and not spend hours trying to find a box set (and invariably be missing the disc I need).

Fox basically had to clear out stuff to make room for Thursday Night Football.

I like Lucifer and it had solid numbers, but oh well.

Reportedly if Warner Brothers makes a deal with the stars this week, Lethal Weapon will be renewed, if not Gotham will be.

Apparently, Fox is hoping to renew Lethal Weapon - but that hinges on them signing a new lead before the upfronts (Clayne Crawford was fired).  I don't love the show or even watch it regularly, but Crawford and Wayans had good chemistry.  But.... the dude is apparently erratic on set and no one wanted to work with him.  Good luck finding a new job with his resume and that hanging around your neck.

Sounds like Gotham's renewal could depend on whether or not Lethal Weapon gets renewed.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

And NBC cancelled Great News :(

They cancelled Great News before they picked up Nine-Nine. Brooklyn 99 season 6 will be 13 eposides, starting in the winter of 2019.

I liked Great News. It is one of the bigger shock cancellations to me.

Superior Donuts getting cancelled by CBS got past all of us.

CBS still has not announced a renewal or cancellation for Kevin Can Wait. It was their 10th highest rated show in the 18-49 demo, but dropped more than 26% of their audience from last year.

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

CBS still has not announced a renewal or cancellation for Kevin Can Wait. It was their 10th highest rated show in the 18-49 demo, but dropped more than 26% of their audience from last year.

It's cancelled.

Really surprised CBS renewed Elementary, considering this season just premiered last week and will air through the summer.

Also surprised Scorpion got canceled.  Thought it drew good ratings.  Then again, I don't follow ratings and was apparently wrong in this case.  

Criminal Minds got renewed.  

I don't think anything I'm actively watching is getting cancelled (though some things like Orphan Black/12 Monkeys either just ended or are ending), but I am curious what they're going to replace all these shows with. It feels like a bloodbath. 

I'm a little baffled that the CW passed on the Supernatural spinoff Wayward Sisters. The main franchise got renewed for Season 14 despite being staler than last year's bread and the spinoff had a legitimately great concept that used established characters with established and vocal fans which could hit on demos the main show isn't getting/lost while also attracting the faithful. It also could have given the show a life beyond whenever the leads decide to call it quits. 

Just such a weird call. I haven't watched Supernatural in years, but I would have watched the hell out of Wayward Sisters.

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I'm a little baffled that the CW passed on the Supernatural spinoff Wayward Sisters. The main franchise got renewed for Season 14 despite being staler than last year's bread and the spinoff had a legitimately great concept that used established characters with established and vocal fans which could hit on demos the main show isn't getting/lost while also attracting the faithful. It also could have given the show a life beyond whenever the leads decide to call it quits. 

Just such a weird call. I haven't watched Supernatural in years, but I would have watched the hell out of Wayward Sisters.

Yeah, it seems like a no-brainer.  I was recently told Supernatural is one of CW's highest-rated series (and maybe the highest-rated not part of the Berlanti-verse?), so it seemed like a shoe-in, especially with CW adding another night of programming.

I actually thought Supernatural was very good last season.  This season has been meh, imo, as have most every season since Kripke left.  I think they changed showrunners (again) after last season.  

Lethal Weapon was indeed renewed.

Seann William Scott will replace Clayne Crawford (it will be a new character)

I am enjoying a guy playing Martin Riggs being fired for basically being Martin Riggs

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

NBC FALL 2018-19 SCHEDULE
(New programs in UPPER CASE; all times ET)

MONDAY
8-10 P.M. — The Voice
10-11 P.M. — MANIFEST

TUESDAY
8-9 P.M. — The Voice
9-10 P.M. — This Is Us
10-11 P.M. — NEW AMSTERDAM

WEDNESDAY
8-9 P.M. — Chicago Med
9-10 P.M. — Chicago Fire
10-11 P.M. — Chicago P.D.

THURSDAY
8-8:30 P.M. — Superstore
8:30-9 P.M. — The Good Place
9-9:30 P.M. — Will & Grace
9:30-10 P.M. — I FEEL BAD
10-11 P.M. — Law & Order: SVU

FRIDAY
8-9 P.M. – Blindspot
9-10 P.M. — Midnight, Texas
10-11 P.M — Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
8-10 P.M. — Dateline Saturday Night Mystery
10-11 P.M. – Saturday Night Live (encores)

SUNDAY
7-8:20 P.M. — Football Night in America
8:20-11 P.M. — NBC Sunday Night Football

Trailers for some of these news shows are starting to hit

I didn't think there was any way Blindspot would be renewed.  I guess maybe being a Berlanti show helps.  I dunno.  I liked season one, then it lost me.  Honestly, the show's biggest problem, imo, is Jaime Alexander.  No range as an actress and not enough presence to anchor a show.  I got tired of her happy face, her sad face, and her confused face all being basically the same expression.

Didn't expect to see Midnight, Texas get a second year either.

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Lethal Weapon was indeed renewed.

Seann William Scott will replace Clayne Crawford (it will be a new character)

I am enjoying a guy playing Martin Riggs being fired for basically being Martin Riggs

Better yet, the new character is Martin Riggs' BROTHER.