DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

There's only two episodes left in the season, and I think it's going to be focused on them getting divorced. So you may want to skip the rest of season four.

I'm this far in, I might as well finish it out. Its not terrible, it can still be very funny. 

15 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Cancel bear has BLACK-ISH as a sure bet to be renewed, and they're pretty good about predictions.  Kenya is *pissed* about the pre-empted episode, and trying to get out of his contract so he can join Shonda at Netflix.

Both Black-ish and Grown-ish are hits.  Kenya is going to have to work hard to get out of that contract.

Barry and Killing Eve are two of my favorite shows this season.  Who knew that contract killers could be the subjects of such interesting television programs?

What's interesting about BARYY is that it's gotten better as it's gone along in the exact opposite way most people would've expected it to get better, given the talent involved.  You expect it to get funnier, but it's actually gotten LESS overtly funny and way more intense and soul-crushing with the decisions it keeps putting in front of Barry.  And somehow it works.

I love Bill Hader, but I never would've guessed he had all this in him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am sure this totally go well. It will certainly continue to be handled well.

Yup

Did I miss some kind of outrage about the first season? I liked it, binged it in two days.

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

Did I miss some kind of outrage about the first season? I liked it, binged it in two days.

I dunno. I watched one episode and didn't get the fuss. I caught some hot takes about glorifying suicide or something. 

Looking forward to the new season for more takes and reactionary drama. 

Yeah - basically there was a lot of issues around glorifying suicide and not providing resources for teens in trouble. (It seems they are a little more prepared for that this time. But it also seems like - judging from the trailer - that Season 2 is more batshit crazy and seems to be more Heathers like...)

As someone married to someone who works in a high school and closely with students - my feelings are similar to Vic's

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 1:57 PM, EVA said:

What's interesting about BARYY is that it's gotten better as it's gone along in the exact opposite way most people would've expected it to get better, given the talent involved.  You expect it to get funnier, but it's actually gotten LESS overtly funny and way more intense and soul-crushing with the decisions it keeps putting in front of Barry.  And somehow it works.

I love Bill Hader, but I never would've guessed he had all this in him.

Soul-crushing is appropriate. That last episode is still haunting me. Especially everything after what happens in the car like flashing over to his friend's wife and kid and then finding out if he wants to be an actor, that is the head space he should always been in.

The set Barry out to be this kinda normal guy until his class says that anyone who kills anyone else is a monster. He flips out because he wants to believe it isn't true.

Until it is true.

All of the post-mortem "about the episode" things are really good too. And man, not know Bill Hader had this in him? Who knew Alec Berg had this in him. We had an episode created by Alec Berg and shot by Hiro Murai.

Speaking of Hiro, there is no one putting in better work in Hollywood than that guy. Holy shit is he amazing at everything he does. 

• Like 1

I'm didn't watch Last Man on Earth regularly after season 2 - and didn't watch the other two shows at all - but I was sort of interested in finding out who all those people were in the Last Man cliffhanger.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I thought all of those were hits for fox. 

I know I dropped off watching the MIck halfway thru season 2. It was just hateful and mean. It was Sunny with all the likability and charm strained from it.