DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

You will absolutely LOVE Dragon Inn, but A Touch of Zen is in a class all its own.

I hate the occasional King Hu vs. Chang Cheh arguments I get into, because I love both of those directors for almost diametrically opposing reasons.

I am dumb.  I am just now figuring out that the name of the villain in the Bond movie, Skyfall, is a deliberate anagram.

Raoul Silva = A Rival Soul.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 11:19 PM, (BP) said:

Three Billboards was good. It's absurd and even a little silly at times, but the dialogue was mostly sharp and the cast was game. I've never travelled to Missouri, so I'm unfamiliar with the accents or dialect, which I feel is to the movie's advantage since they are all over the place. Woody Harrelson's wife being 20 years younger than him and Australian was distracting as well. Sam Rockwell continues to be a treasure, and Frances McDormand will always be a super lady. I haven't seen many of the Oscar films from last year, but as much as I enjoyed it, it never touches Get Out

Fun fact: There's a scene when Frances McDormand's character is at home and a news story comes on the television about her billboards. The producers of the film reached out to an anchor from the tv station I used to work at.  They had her record some lines.  They're what you hear when the story first comes on, before they actually show it.  Don't know how they chose her, but she was a good pick since she's originally from Missouri.  Anyway, I helped her record the audio and send it to the producers.

So, what I'm saying is, I did some work on an Oscar nominated film.  I was not, however, invited to the ceremony.

Also, the movie is ok.  Kind of a mess.  Some problematic stuff with Sam Rockwell's character's racism almost being played as a quirk.

• Like 3

This morning was one of those situations where I turned on the tv at the beginning of a movie I've never had any interest in watching and sat through the entire thing. Everything Must Go is a nice little film with a quality understated performance by Will Ferrell convincingly playing an alcoholic. It's not terribly ambitious, but it's very well made. My biggest criticism is that in an otherwise subdued movie there's a subplot where Ferrell blackmails his neighbor, played by an underutilized Stephen Root, because he saw him getting pegged by his wife. It's silly and makes Ferrell's character, who's troubled but otherwise a decent person, look like a shithead for invading a couple's privacy and extorting them over their consensual sex practices. 

The more I watch LONE WOLF & CUB, the more I’m sure of two things:

1. Kenji Misumi was an occasionally great director

2. The parents of the kid who played Daigoro are some negligent motherfuckers, cuz there’s no way that kid’s working conditions are sound.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Control said:

The more I watch LONE WOLF & CUB, the more I’m sure of two things:

1. Kenji Misumi was an occasionally great director

2. The parents of the kid who played Daigoro are some negligent motherfuckers, cuz there’s no way that kid’s working conditions are sound.

Especially the movies in the series where Daigoro is still an infant. 

You can clearly see in some of the close up fight scenes that there actually is a living child in the Baby Cart of Death and everyone is leaping around swinging swords.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Control said:

Seriously, I’d almost prefer to learn that Daigoro was an orphan adopted by the studio.

Japanese child labor laws were obviously horrible in the Seventies.

I am comforted by the long standing urban legend that was very fond of Akihiro Tomikawa, the boy that played Daigoro and gave the kid Judo lessons off set.

I saw Bad Samaritan yesterday, and damn, David Tennant is really good at playing a creep. The rest of the cast was solid, as well, despite none of them looking familiar to me at all. It’s probably not a movie you NEED to see in the theater, but it’s really, really solid.

Den of Thieves is so dumb, but you will love it anyway if you have ever played GTA5 and just assume that bank robbers pulling a major heist will always have access to all of the vehicles they need, a convenient abandoned warehouse to serve as their base of operations, and military grade automatic weapons.

• RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic