DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - MAY

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

And the Rangers, etc.

I assume once Oakland and Tampa are figured out, that should be it for the next 30 years. Maybe the Angels and Royals. Everyone else has either a more-than-modern-enough stadium that can be renovated to keep current, or a historical one.

The last time Manfred was in Toronto, he was making noises about the Skydome needing to be modernized. 

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The last time Manfred was in Toronto, he was making noises about the Skydome needing to be modernized. 

Fair point, though falls under "modern enough that can be renovated", versus, say, trying to upgrade a 1970s-era concrete donut. From a similar era, the White Sox have also done a good job of transforming The Artist Formerly Known as Comiskey Park II over the years, complete with sawing off the top part of the stadium.

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I thought that I had heard there are already plans in place for a giant overhaul and modernization project for SkyDome? I remember hearing something about them doing away with artificial turf and moving to real grass, but that it couldn't be done until the Argos moved out.

I heard someone said not long ago all the agricultural studies ended up saying that natural grass was probably not feasible. One theory is that Beeston was so vocal about grass as a diversionary tactic over the likely inability to get a new stadium built. 

Now that they have (I think) finally got all the approvals for renovating their Spraing Training/Florida complex in Dunedin, they can  turn totally to the Skydome. 

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Aw. 

Hope you like your title. 

I...like it? Philadelphian by birth and all that...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

And the Rangers, etc.

I assume once Oakland and Tampa are figured out, that should be it for the next 30 years. Maybe the Angels and Royals. Everyone else has either a more-than-modern-enough stadium that can be renovated to keep current, or a historical one.

Wait Kauffman Stadium ranks very high on the list of best ballparks in the league and they just did tons of renovations to it as well. That one's going nowhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

Wait Kauffman Stadium ranks very high on the list of best ballparks in the league and they just did tons of renovations to it as well. That one's going nowhere.

The Big A is also a very nice yard now as well. I don't think it is getting to the top of any best of lists, but they have done a really good job with all the reno's and I would assume that they will keep trying to improve it, since it will be the venue for baseball and softball in the '28 Olympics.

The Houston Astros just completed a 50-game stretch where they allowed 126 runs. That's the lowest 50-game block in the live ball era. 

UnderArmour backed out of the deal to make MLB jerseys beginning in 2020, and it looks like Nike will supply them instead.

Because it's been like a month since Jerry DiPoto made a trade, the Mariners acquired Alex Colome and Denard Span (along with 4.75 million bucks) from the Rays for Andrew Moore and Tommy Romero. I like the deal a lot. They can easily cover Span's salary due to the money they're saving while Cano is on suspension, and they need the OF depth right now. Colome/Diaz in the 8th and 9th innings should be a nasty combination. 

Holy dalm theres a baseball thing on here too. Man I wish I knew how to use this shit. Much love dolfan in NYC! Sorry I don't even know how to do the @ # taggy thingies.

Oh and chop on go braves! Hashbrown atl bsbal fn! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, melraz09 said:

Holy dalm theres a baseball thing on here too. Man I wish I knew how to use this shit. Much love dolfan in NYC! Sorry I don't even know how to do the @ # taggy thingies.

Oh and chop on go braves! Hashbrown atl bsbal fn! 

sHB1DPF.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Melraz finding this thread is gonna be the highlight of this season

Of course he shows up right when Acuna blows out his knee so I am blaming him for that

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If the Jays end up washing out later in the year, they should play him at a different spot every inning. I don’t know if it’s been done in the pros, but I remember an NCAA guy doing it the year he was drafted, a short while ago. 

17 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

If the Jays end up washing out later in the year, they should play him at a different spot every inning. I don’t know if it’s been done in the pros, but I remember an NCAA guy doing it the year he was drafted, a short while ago. 

It has happened several times in the majors. 

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In the past week, Russell Martin has started games at catcher, shortstop, and left field. 

ePoiXmuriyNfOropWnJzn7xCzgXMw8ug-vQyHGbW 

Loving it.

Pairs nicely with Pablo Sandoval starting at 2B last night.

we should be so lucky to get the Russel Martin/Pablo Sandoval double play turning combo some day.