DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I love that Gary Hart book, it's a shame his WWF run never worked out. Completely forgot about the OMG tattoos though, is that story really real?

I don't know but I'm planning on checking footage post Texas to see if he kept them.  That would be a bitch to get rid of them unless he just grew his hair out.

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

AND it also explains why Warrior was always billed as hailing from Queens, NY in the Apter mags, even after he relocated to Parts Unknown.

The WWF ignoring guys' previous history always bugged me as a kid. I was probably one of the 8 year olds who knew a bunch about other territories so I hated it when they'd announce Warrior from Parts Unknown. I'd be like, "I have a Pro Wrestling Illustrated right here that says he's from Queens, NY! Why do they lie!"

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't know but I'm planning on checking footage post Texas to see if he kept them.  That would be a bitch to get rid of them unless he just grew his hair out.

I remember him having tattoos on both sides of his head, but I didn't know they were Von Erich specific or that's why he got them... just seems like a hell of a stretch for getting tattooed speaking as someone who is pretty much covered

39 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

The WWF ignoring guys' previous history always bugged me as a kid. I was probably one of the 8 year olds who knew a bunch about other territories so I hated it when they'd announce Warrior from Parts Unknown. I'd be like, "I have a Pro Wrestling Illustrated right here that says he's from Queens, NY! Why do they lie!"

I loved how the Apter mags existed in their own world and covered it like a sport, booking be damned.  The Road Warriors were listed as the #1 team in the world, regardless of the fact that they weren't the champions, for what felt like forever.

36 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It was even more annoying when someone who'd already been there would come back and they'd pretend he had no previous history there. 

Holy shit when Steamboat came back as just "The Dragon" and they mostly ignored his past history, that was the god damn worst.

• Like 6

Oh man, seeing them bring back Ricky and have him come out on Prime Time Wrestling when they had the studio audience and Ricky's blowing fireballs made me feel bad for the guy. This was a dude who was one of my favorites and there he was wearing a ridiculous outfit and blowing fireballs.

BTW, regarding Apter mags, I also remember when they kept beating the drum for Furnas and Lafon, calling them the best tag team in the world for months. They sucked.

• Like 1

I have a real hard time coming up with an answer when faced with the question of what my wrestling dream match is. I think because, while I enjoy watching two great wrestlers go at it just to have a good match, for me wrestling doesn't really reach the 'dream match' realm unless there is a really good build. So, while I'd love to see something like Bret Vs Bryan, I get much more excited just thinking about if Bret and Austin could have had another match to really blow off their feud.

With that said, behold the dream match you never knew you wanted. It's 1998, and Vince McMahon is trying everything in his power to get the WWF title off Austin. He comes out on Raw and cuts a promo about how he will unveil the new number one contender to the belt, touting him as a man who is the perfect representation of his idea of professional wrestling. Throughout the night you see Vince in the back talking to various guys on the roster, as the speculation builds. At the end of the show, Austin comes out to the ring to demand to know who his next opponent will be. Vince comes out with some besuited muscle guy from the roster, think a Test type. Austin invites them into into the ring, but is attacked from behind by the real number one contender- Doink the Clown. And when I say Doink the Clown, I mean 1993 Matt Borne heel Doink, who lays a beating on Austin. Because of course nobody could better represent Vince's idea of wrestling than a clown.  

• Like 6

On 5/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, Craig H said:

Per one of the more recent Something to Wrestle podcasts, I learned that the Ultimate Warrior was a native american gimmick. I honestly had no clue. I don't know of many others who knew that either.

Harley Race did.  He once referred to him as "that fucking indian goof"

6 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Harley Race did.  He once referred to him as "that fucking indian goof"

Yeeeeeeah, that's one of the f-words he used for Warrior.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh man, seeing them bring back Ricky and have him come out on Prime Time Wrestling when they had the studio audience and Ricky's blowing fireballs made me feel bad for the guy. This was a dude who was one of my favorites and there he was wearing a ridiculous outfit and blowing fireballs.

Fire breathing looks pretty bad ass. I would love to learn how to do it. I was annoyed that Steamboat's prior run was ignored, though.

I loved Piper calling out Vince on commentary for trying to ignore that Saba Simba was Tony Atlas, with Vince trying to cover about how Atlas got in touch with his roots or some shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

They did the same with El Matador/Tito Santana, right? I've always lumped the Matador run and the Dragon run in together in my head.

Actually, Gorilla Monsoon would still mention Tito being a former IC and tag champion. His run as El Matador was at the same time as Steamboat's as The Dragon. In fact, Tito replaced Ricky at the '91 Survivor Series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I loved Piper calling out Vince on commentary for trying to ignore that Saba Simba was Tony Atlas, with Vince trying to cover about how Atlas got in touch with his roots or some shit.

“THAT’S TONY ATLAS!”

I’m not trying to be crass here, but did they actually use “roots” in their defense for this? I don’t remember, so I’m curious. 

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm always reminded of Barry Windham/The Widomaker and Mike Rotunda-Rotundo/IRS

To be fair, The Widowmaker was still Barry Windham. It’s not like he had a gimmick change. 

I guess you could argue that maybe Rotundo used whatever his Syracuse degree was to work for the government. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

To be fair, The Widowmaker was still Barry Windham. It’s not like he had a gimmick change. 

I guess you could argue that maybe Rotundo used whatever his Syracuse degree was to work for the government. 

Touche...how about when he became THE STALKER

15 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

“THAT’S TONY ATLAS!”

I’m not trying to be crass here, but did they actually use “roots” in their defense for this? I don’t remember, so I’m curious. 

• Like 2