DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

He gets a heel reaction, ergo is he not a heel? I don't get it anymore, it's like the Cena argument all over again. The vocal fanbase for some reason insists on resisting whoever Vince anoints to carry the company. ANYONE in Reigns position would be getting booed

Cena was cheered by a lot of people. Roman is being booed by almost everyone now and is starting to get apathy. 

There was an interview going around a day or two ago - where Reigns was talking with some UK media and he was asked about Steve Austin saying on his podcast that Reigns needed to turn heel.

And Reigns response was basically "Aren't I a heel already?"

“It’s a weird question cause, aren’t I already a heel? If I garnered that reaction, what’s the point? If it’s already happening, if I’m already being booed, why try and get booed?

I think right now I’m in a cool situation and kind of a little bit different than anybody because the only person that’s really been in my shoes before is (John) Cena. But Cena is Cena, you know. I’m nothing like him, I’ve never been like him.

I think I’m in a good place to kind of do whatever I want to do with this character and not necessarily just be a heel or be a babyface. I feel like my character can be so much more than that.”

To be fair to Cornette, it wasn't a general notion so much as "he needs to stab Daniel Bryan with a fishhook." 

but still..

Also, Reign's response is patently dumb. "Why should we try to craft a response that will maximize profits and attention as opposed to just accept the fact that we've stumbled into people booing me unproductively and just keep doing what we're doing?" 

It's basically "Well, my cat vomited on this canvas and I found a deranged hobo who will buy it for $2.50. Why bother going to art school, right?"

I'm not saying that him stabbing Bryan is the answer (it's a pretty good medium term answer, but also a no-brainer). There's no reality where having a plan that's working is worse than "things kind of, sort of not really working but still working just enough by accident." Not in any field.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Last year they had a chance to a double turn with Braun and blew it. Vince must have committed some great deed in his life because they have stumbled into something even better with Rollins. It would not be a double turn, but betraying Rollins would be the best way to turn heel. 

Fantasy Booking Alert, if you don't like it, well learn to love it.

Reigns wins Money In The Bank. Rollins gets a shot at Brock and when Rollins is about to win, Reigns cashes in.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, The Comedian said:

She seems alright when she's got the rock, but she seriously needs to learn to move better when she's off the ball...

Agreed and that's totally to be expected for somebody with zero experience. Her execution is really crisp but standing around looking lost between the good shit is something she obviously needs to work on.

Isn't the problem with the idea that Reigns is already a heel, is that he doesn't really act like one? Cocky/arrogant babyface, sure, but not a total heel character. I mean, if we're just saying who is face/heel depending on their crowd responses and not looking at the actual character work, then Jinder is going to be face going forward because he'll get cheered against Reigns.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Agreed and that's totally to be expected for somebody with zero experience. Her execution is really crisp but standing around looking lost between the good shit is something she obviously needs to work on.

Lashley seems to still have the same problem. 

At least in TNA he had a character that made you look the other way.

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Negative space, my friend.

latest?cb=20130730211423

Crowds passionately cared about John Cena. You didn't ever have them flocking to the exits during the main event.

But, hey, WWE reportedly just got 50% more money for just RAW than they had been getting for both shows, so why should Vince care?

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Crowds passionately cared about John Cena. You didn't ever have them flocking to the exits during the main event.

Has this happened outside of Backlash? I thought I recall some mentioning it had more to do with the time and area than just a hatred of Reigns. A Reigns main event just didn't help.

Reigns right now kind of reminds me of the ruthless aggression era babyface formula where everyone was super mean and out for themselves and obsessed with the title at all cost. I never liked any of those guys as babyfaces. They always reminded me of asshole little league coaches and I had no idea why I was supposed to root for them.

It's why letting RVD get over HHH could have been so huge since he was basically like "Jesus, chill the fuck out, man." And that's why if they could tone down the goofy side of Ambrose he would be a perfect babyface for a long feud with Roman I think.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Has this happened outside of Backlash? I thought I recall some mentioning it had more to do with the time and area than just a hatred of Reigns. A Reigns main event just didn't help.

Yeah - that was me and a few others who pointed out that it had nothing to do with Reigns

But the anti-Reigns folks are gonna use it anyway

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - that was me and a few others who pointed out that it had nothing to do with Reigns

But the anti-Reigns folks are gonna use it anyway

Do you think they would've left early if AJ/Nak had gone on last? Maybe I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Do you think they would've left early if AJ/Nak had gone on last? Maybe I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it.

They weren't leaving during the match, they left soon as the 3 count happened.  And yes, even if AJ/Nak went on last.

According to people all over the internet, whole sections were emptying out before the match ended. I mean, grains of salt, but a whole lot of people tweeted about having nobody around them during the match.

I like how the walk-out narrative makes it sound like Reigns was just sitting in the ring alone and that smark-ass favorite  Samoa Joe wasn't also out there getting walked out on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think it even matters what was behind the early walkouts. It's going to become a thing now at least on a small scale. There will definitely be douchebags that'll try to make a scene leaving during Roman main events going forward. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Isn't the problem with the idea that Reigns is already a heel, is that he doesn't really act like one? Cocky/arrogant babyface, sure, but not a total heel character. I mean, if we're just saying who is face/heel depending on their crowd responses and not looking at the actual character work, then Jinder is going to be face going forward because he'll get cheered against Reigns.

People will leave.