DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

I don't know why people who get up and leaving during a match they really have no interest in are being douchebags. It's better than beach balls and Punk chants. Hell, many people call those same people d-bags just for booing Roman, even though he or the WWE doesn't really seem to care at all. They got their money.

They boo him, therefore he is a heel is so backwards it's comical.

I honestly feel like with the awful characters, nonsensical stories and plot holes you could drive a truck through on most weeks, if this were a regular TV show there is no way anyone would watch it and it would have been cancelled years ago. It's good to be the king I guess.  

57 minutes ago, BEN! said:

I like how the walk-out narrative makes it sound like Reigns was just sitting in the ring alone and that smark-ass favorite  Samoa Joe wasn't also out there getting walked out on.

Joe hasn't been getting shit on by live crowds all year. 

If you guys like Reigns, I would not try to defend against the walk out. Take the L, blame the booking and move on. 

• Like 3

I think someone spending money to put on a performative protest of a show they have a weird toxic symbiotic relationship with, possibly at the expense of families enjoying the show, would constitute being a douchebag (not that that's necessarily what happened at Backlash.) 

13 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I walked out on the Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks main event at the NJPW show this year.  Why?  It didn't interest me and I wanted to beat the traffic.  If that makes me a douchebag, then I'm a douchebag.

You, sir, are a douchebag.

Btw, noted douchebag, did you fly in for that show or drive? I'm thinking of driving down from Vancouver for the Cow Palace show so I can see the Redwoods and Big Sur on the way, as I don't travel often.

17 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I think someone spending money to put on a performative protest of a show they have a weird toxic symbiotic relationship with, possibly at the expense of families enjoying the show, would constitute being a douchebag (not that that's necessarily what happened at Backlash.) 

Nak vs AJ was the main event, Joe vs Reigns might as well have been the dark match, 

And the perfect opportunity to (let me put my very amateur booking hat on for a sec) have a non-finish where they brawl outside uncontrollably. The crowd goes home at least somewhat happy and you can set up something for a year down the road. Also not a single performer gets hurt in this scenario. 

7 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

And the perfect opportunity to (let me put my very amateur booking hat on for a sec) have a non-finish where they brawl outside uncontrollably. The crowd goes home at least somewhat happy and you can set up something for a year down the road. Also not a single performer gets hurt in this scenario. 

I assume they figure Roman needs a few definitive wins after Mania.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I assume they figure Roman needs a few definitive wins after Mania.

Likely. My thought is that it was going to be Roman's first win as champ before Vince changed his mind about that and Joe going to Smackdown, so the optics of it were bad like you said above. It didn't do either guy any favors. 

4 hours ago, BEN! said:

I like how the walk-out narrative makes it sound like Reigns was just sitting in the ring alone and that smark-ass favorite  Samoa Joe wasn't also out there getting walked out on.

Who in their right mind believed Joe had a chance of going over? They weren't even on the same brands.  

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

There will definitely be douchebags that'll try to make a scene leaving during Roman main events going forward. 

Here's what I compare it to.  If you've ever been to boxing say,  there's the little local guy fights and then they'll do the main card including the main event and then they'll start doing other minor fights again.  Most people walk out after the main event because that's what they paid to see.  

I don't have an issue with people leaving an event after they've seen all they wanted to see. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Are AJ and Nakamura supposed to be Rock and Austin in this scenario? Because I’m not seeing it.

No it shows what I've been saying all along. When WWE decided that the brand was more important than the wrestlers/storylines,   that's what killed it for a large part of their audience. They aren't even doing storylines anymore.  

Nia Jax challenges Ronda Rousey out of nowhere on a red carpet for a thing that very few people outside of those in entertainment care about.  There was no buildup.  There's been no build for Ronda at all.  It looked like maybe something was brewing with Mickie and Nattie.  But nope.  

WWE has become a collection of "moments"....  Ronda holding up the title is just their next "moment"  buildup be damned. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Are AJ and Nakamura supposed to be Rock and Austin in this scenario? Because I’m not seeing it.

AJ and Nak are Bret and Shawn in their prime. Except instead of good matches they focus on hitting each other in the balls a lot.  It's typical WWE booking.  Have a smart angle then run it into the FUCKING GROUND.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (BP) said:

Agreed.  To be clear, mine wasn't meant as a protest of any kind - I just wasn't interested in watching it after what was already a very underwhelming show compared to last year's G1 Special events.  Honestly, had the card been announced with that main event prior to tickets going on sale, I probably would not have gone to begin with.  

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

You, sir, are a douchebag.

Btw, noted douchebag, did you fly in for that show or drive? I'm thinking of driving down from Vancouver for the Cow Palace show so I can see the Redwoods and Big Sur on the way, as I don't travel often.

I flew from Seattle into Long Beach, which is a very nice little airport.

20 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

He gets a heel reaction, ergo is he not a heel? I don't get it anymore, it's like the Cena argument all over again. The vocal fanbase for some reason insists on resisting whoever Vince anoints to carry the company. ANYONE in Reigns position would be getting booed

This is what happens when you position almost any authority figure the promotion has had, and by proxy the promotion itself, as a heel for the better part of two decades.

• Like 8

Noticed that the Australian show has a question mark and thought I’d add some background info about Melbourne and Australia that might fill in some gaps. 

The stadium the WWE wants to book, the MCG, has a really small window when it’s available. The AFL (local football league) finishes on September 30 this year and the cricket season’s first match is November 23. However the cricket pitch needs to be dropped in a few weeks in advance at which point hosting an event on the MCG surface becomes impossible. This means that October is the only feasible month for the tour. 

This however means avoiding clashes with the spring racing carnival. Whilst you may not think the crossover between racegoers and the WWE would make a very compact Venn diagram, Melbourne is above everything else an event town. If you hold the world championships of tiddlywinks and promote it properly 100,000 will show up. It’s just that kind of town. So to avoid clashes, that probably rules out the 16th and 23rd of October, leaving the 9th as the only conceivable date. 

With the announcement of the second Saudi show the Melbourne show just might not be a priority. Also, Melbourne’s spring weather is extremely fickle and the thought of sending your top stars out in the rain may not be high on the company’s risk assessors’ list of priorities. 

This is all conjecture of course and I have no idea what WWE is thinking. But hey, it’s still four hours til the cup starts and I have time on my hands.

• Like 5

Just out of curiosity, where is the line for too graphic photos? Not that I plan on posting any, I just thought that the Maghee photos were too much(I'm not offended or anything). They beat the man so bad he looks like an orc!

That's fucking horrible and it always is. I hope the rest of his time remaining can at least be peaceful without tons of pain and other bodily garbage. I've seen what this stuff does to people, it's not pretty. I'm basically an atheist, but fuck it, bless that woman and him for sticking it out this long and for being there for him throughout this whole thing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

WWE has become a collection of "moments"....  Ronda holding up the title is just their next "moment"  buildup be damned. 

and a collection of poorly made moments at that

51 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fair warning, this completely gutted me. Lots of tears.

https://lindsaycappotelli.blogspot.com/2018/05/putting-my-heart-out-there.html?m=1

Fucking cancer.

FUCK cancer.

Somehow I managed not to lose it reading that, but I certainly won't be reading it again.

• Thanks 1