DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

18 hours ago, Victator said:

I guess it makes me no fun. but I hate when wrestling fans use the term "wrasslin".  Not as bad as when they call it "Fake Fighting". But it gets in my crawl. 

I use the term because in my head, "wrestling" is an Olympic sport, and "wrasslin" is its more flamboyant cousin that I grew up watching on Saturday mornings.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Especially when you specifically leave because you refuse to do a job

I obviously missed this story. Who did he refuse to job to?

12 hours ago, nate said:

lol, "independent contractors"

It makes you wonder how how far someone could push this from the other side. Like if Neville came back and said he would wrestle, but then when out and acted like a complete jackass in the ring (think Michaels SS 05 or something). I mean, the guy could get himself "fired" or whatever you call that for "independent contractors". 

6 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

It makes you wonder how how far someone could push this from the other side. Like if Neville came back and said he would wrestle, but then when out and acted like a complete jackass in the ring (think Michaels SS 05 or something). I mean, the guy could get himself "fired" or whatever you call that for "independent contractors". 

He should’ve dragged the Bruno statue behind his car outside of Titan Towers...

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

or drip strawberry juice all over Vince's powder blue suit

Trying to go from working for the Yankees to the Mets is sort of the ultimate George Costanza move.

• Like 2

Which asks; would Ted Danson get a better push? 

On a side note, what’s with this audible notification when a post of yours is reacted to or quoted? It’s weird. I just noticed it now (iPhone). It’s like when Conrad redesigned Jerry’s kitchen. 

• Like 3

For some reason, the Youtube app on my phone sends me notifications about videos I might be interested in, but they're rarely things I'm interested in.  I almost never check out whatever pop-up notice Youtube sends me.  So last night, I get a pop-up notice, glance at my phone, and see the words "Haku vs. Brock Lesnar."

I didn't bother to watch the video.  i assume it's some dweeb fantasy booking and I find most of those sorts of videos really annoying.  But.... until now, I didn't know how much I wanted to see that match.  I'm not even a big fan of Haku's.  

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

For some reason, the Youtube app on my phone sends me notifications about videos I might be interested in, but they're rarely things I'm interested in.  I almost never check out whatever pop-up notice Youtube sends me.  So last night, I get a pop-up notice, glance at my phone, and see the words "Haku vs. Brock Lesnar."

I didn't bother to watch the video.  i assume it's some dweeb fantasy booking and I find most of those sorts of videos really annoying.  But.... until now, I didn't know how much I wanted to see that match.  I'm not even a big fan of Haku's.  

It was probably a video game match. 

1 hour ago, Zartan said:

It was probably a video game match. 

Actually, it was this (had to go back and find it):

Lol, video game matches may be worse than neckbeards doing fantasy booking.  Watched an SVR match on Youtube.  nWo of Hogan, Hall, Nash vs. Sting and.... ?  I forget who his partners were.

Decent match until Sting got the hot tag. whipped Hall into the opposite corner, then followed into the corner to deliver his patented..... butt bump.  Um, I don't recall Sting making with a lot of ass-based offense.  Dudes then started whaling on each other with a lot of offense I don't recall them using much irl.  Hogan pinned someone with his famous leg drop.... top rope leg drop, I mean.

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Dude.  I wish we could all be done with this attention whore beyond his connections and the kinda-news that comes from them. 

Even beyond it, it's the same problem: Do we even NEED a "wrestling reporter" anymore?

We know for a fact most of the major promotions have figured Meltzer out and use him to spread false information, and having "reporters" instead of "critics" has led to the "let the behind the scenes stuff cloud the onscreen stuff" which has really destroyed wrestling's joy in the 21st century. 

Throw in that people expect things to be one and the same for reporters and critics, and you also have the problem with Meltzer that's led to "literally ONE GUY can decide if a match is an all-time classic or worthless, even when we know that guy has blatant biases."

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even beyond it, it's the same problem: Do we even NEED a "wrestling reporter" anymore?

We know for a fact most of the major promotions have figured Meltzer out and use him to spread false information, and having "reporters" instead of "critics" has led to the "let the behind the scenes stuff cloud the onscreen stuff" which has really destroyed wrestling's joy in the 21st century. 

Throw in that people expect things to be one and the same for reporters and critics, and you also have the problem with Meltzer that's led to "literally ONE GUY can decide if a match is an all-time classic or worthless, even when we know that guy has blatant biases."

I agree with all of this. Unfortunately, that genie is never going back in the bottle. 

14 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

This joke has went thru many mutations thru the years. My favorite was eating ribs in Freddie Blassie's jacket.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think he should be given a medal for standing up to that ludicrous booking.

I listen to Austin's podcast & he talks about guys going out there and getting themselves over, he tried to do something different and he got heat for it if its true. You can see why guys are afraid to go against the grain

6 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I listen to Austin's podcast & he talks about guys going out there and getting themselves over, he tried to do something different and he got heat for it if its true. You can see why guys are afraid to go against the grain

The problem though is that the booking wasn't that ludicrous on paper- Neville may have been a good heel as King of the Cruiserweights, but quite frankly, Enzo got more eyes on 205 Live. It blew up in WWE's faces, but it was a logical move on paper, especially when WWE finally read the tea leaves and turned Enzo heel right there.

Neville refusing to job to Enzo was basically the right move only if you think that 205 Live is great in this Drake Maverick "take away everything that makes everybody remotely interesting by saying 'hey. You're a good wrestler. Stop caring about your gimmick and just be a wrestler what wrestles.' 'Say no more fam...I am Drew Gulak. I am a serious wrestler here to put on the best fake fight on the card with a man I deeply respect as a competitor, just like everyone else on the card here tonight."

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem though is that the booking wasn't that ludicrous on paper- Neville may have been a good heel as King of the Cruiserweights, but quite frankly, Enzo got more eyes on 205 Live. It blew up in WWE's faces, but it was a logical move on paper, especially when WWE finally read the tea leaves and turned Enzo heel right there.

Neville refusing to job to Enzo was basically the right move only if you think that 205 Live is great in this Drake Maverick "take away everything that makes everybody remotely interesting by saying 'hey. You're a good wrestler. Stop caring about your gimmick and just be a wrestler what wrestles.' 'Say no more fam...I am Drew Gulak. I am a serious wrestler here to put on the best fake fight on the card with a man I deeply respect as a competitor, just like everyone else on the card here tonight."

They should've went with Tozawa instead of Enzo, the Titus worldwide was so over they didnt go all the way with on Raw anyway plus everyone was ready for Tozawa to beat Neville and it wouldve gave Neville more legs as a heel

• Like 1