DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

With the caveat of not knowing if there's something scandalous behind it:

If he decided he still hated all of the traveling and got a release, and now he can charge more everywhere else because he was on WWE television, he's a genius. 

That looks like an old picture of him, figured they would use a recent one.  And I'm not seeing it anywhere on the main site, if anything it's hyping him up in some part of the site.  Not saying it's not true, but something about it just looks off to me.

EDIT:  Or you can look up and see BP's post, looks like we both had the same idea.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, CreativeControl said:

The thing that confused me about El Matador was it came so many years after the Martel split that it was almost too little too late.

As for the Dragon, I'd much rather have him breathe fire than carry a fucking lizard to the ring but yeah, acting like he was a 'new' superstar even though it was only three years ago he was last in the company was ludicrous.

Speaking of bare feet, remember when Barbarian was Fatu's tag partner in the Headhunters and they tried to get Fatu to start wearing boots and it kept distracting him from winning matches? I don't care, I loved that gimmick as a kid.

Seonne (Barbarian) and Fatu weren't the Headhunters though. ;)

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

This is a perfect reason why there should be dates published on stories and press releases.

I swear there used to be back in the day when they’d announce stuff like that.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:28 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Bases never get as much credit as they deserve for mind-blowing state of the art work. Because they aren't the ones doing the mind blowing state of the art moves. Nevermind the fact that you can't do that shit without someone taking it, and taking it safely for both you and themselves. Nevermind that they normally have to do the job of filling in the moments between those "MBSOTAM" in order to actually have a match.

Glamour Girls vs The Jumping Bomb Angels matches are great because both teams brought their end to the table and held it up. The real shame is how little WWF women's tag division stuff there is.

All of this. As a kid, I was wowed by the JBA and the GG were just...there but, as I got older, I began to really appreciate the work of Kai and Martin. They are two very talented and solid workers who have not gotten their due mainly for the reason you listed. But, looking back, they were doing really innovative stuff for the time. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 2:22 AM, Eivion said:

The JBA/GG talk reminds me that I've been looking to check out more non-Japanese women's stuff from the early 90s and before. Does anyone know of anything worth checking out? 

If you haven’t already, check out the old LPWA from the 90s. Pretty much ALL of the major women, at the time, competed there at one point or another. It also was the promotion that gave Reggie Bennett and Terri Power (Tori) their breaks. They even had a PPV (Super Ladies Showdown) with some of the women from LLPW. There should be matches floating around. 

4 hours ago, Jamal said:

If you haven’t already, check out the old LPWA from the 90s. Pretty much ALL of the major women, at the time, competed there at one point or another. It also was the promotion that gave Reggie Bennett and Terri Power (Tori) their breaks. They even had a PPV (Super Ladies Showdown) with some of the women from LLPW. There should be matches floating around. 

I shared a video of Kai and Martin working there. The magazines gave it a pretty healthy push while it existed. But they were always desperate for ladies wrestling to be viable, so even in the dark ages Misty Blue and Madusa Micelli would get mentioned a lot. Misty Blue is someone who if they came along ten or twelve years later, could have been a huge star. She was really pretty, athletic and could work. It is a little surprising the WWF did not grab her in 87 or 88 when they would make a half assed ploy to revive the women's division. 

30 minutes ago, Victator said:

I shared a video of Kai and Martin working there. The magazines gave it a pretty healthy push while it existed. But they were always desperate for ladies wrestling to be viable, so even in the dark ages Misty Blue and Madusa Micelli would get mentioned a lot. Misty Blue is someone who if they came along ten or twelve years later, could have been a huge star. She was really pretty, athletic and could work. It is a little surprising the WWF did not grab her in 87 or 88 when they would make a half assed ploy to revive the women's division

Yea I was always curious about Misty Blue and why she didn't blow up. The mags used to give her and her troupe a lot of press. 

A lot of it comes down to poor timing. There was just no where for women to really go. 

Interesting fact but her and Jim Cornette drew a big house in I think Baltimore from one TV angle. Which shocked everyone because there was a snow storm.