DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

2 hours ago, kafkonia said:

They did the same with El Matador/Tito Santana, right? I've always lumped the Matador run and the Dragon run in together in my head.

I remember they did a couple of videos with Santana going to Spain to become a bull fighter. He was always Tito Santana, but after a while they just were calling him El Matador.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I remember they did a couple of videos with Santana going to Spain to become a bull fighter. He was always Tito Santana, but after a while they just were calling him El Matador.

It was Mexico, not Spain. They had dinner and dancing in those segments after the matador training. The best part of the training footage was when they'd use Tito's face for the closeup shots, but stock footage of bull fighting for the far shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

Touche...how about when he became THE STALKER

Well, he liked to beat people up and he liked to have fun, you know we're talking about Barry Wind-hum.

Therefore, either Windham went from fighting people to hunting animals (not too big a jump) to become that, or failing that he had too much fun once and a woman told him to buzz off...but she didn't know that they were meant to be together and he had to show them this....it was only because of true love, right?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kafkonia said:

They did the same with El Matador/Tito Santana, right? I've always lumped the Matador run and the Dragon run in together in my head.

I think every now and again a heel commentator would touch on these guy's history.  

The thing that confused me about El Matador was it came so many years after the Martel split that it was almost too little too late.

As for the Dragon, I'd much rather have him breathe fire than carry a fucking lizard to the ring but yeah, acting like he was a 'new' superstar even though it was only three years ago he was last in the company was ludicrous.

Speaking of bare feet, remember when Barbarian was Fatu's tag partner in the Headhunters and they tried to get Fatu to start wearing boots and it kept distracting him from winning matches? I don't care, I loved that gimmick as a kid.

• Like 3

I'm really liking the match listings for The Evolution of WWE Women's Division DVD. I'd only make one or two changes:

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/full-match-listing-evolution-of-wwe-womens-division-dvd/154103/

Notice there's Moolah matches but no spotlight on her. I'd lose the former with the latter.

At first he was El Matador Tito Santana, but at some point they dropped to just El Matador.

I *think* Gorilla said something about The Dragon, El Matador and The Texas Tornado being all three former intercontinental Champions at SummerSlam '91, after they had all lost their full names.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Why did they pick the shittiest of the Blayze-Nakano matches?  Put on SummerSlam '94 instead.  And if they're spotlighting Ivory, why is her match her getting squashed by Chyna?

My first guess it's because it's the one Madusa won, but the Ivory choice does hurt the argument.

Then again, I think the RAW match was better than the SummerSlam match (the shittiest is the Hog Wild match fwiw)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

My first guess it's because it's the one Madusa won

Actually, I think the only match in the feud that Nakano won was the title change in Japan (which would've been an awesome choice for the set to show they were going worldwide even back then, but there's probably licensing issues and I may be the only one that would've cared)

3 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Actually, I think the only match in the feud that Nakano won was the title change in Japan (which would've been an awesome choice for the set to show they were going worldwide even back then, but there's probably licensing issues and I may be the only one that would've cared)

Oh that's right. I forgot the title change was in Japan, was thinking it was at SummerSlam.

Then I retreat fully to my other explanation: they picked the better match.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

At first he was El Matador Tito Santana, but at some point they dropped to just El Matador.

I *think* Gorilla said something about The Dragon, El Matador and The Texas Tornado being all three former intercontinental Champions at SummerSlam '91, after they had all lost their full names.

Yes! I can remember all three started out as name, nickname before eventually being dropped to just nickname.

They really should have just gone to having a last name...

Steamboat

Santana

Von Erich

It honestly... kind of works.

I started watching in 1991 right around the time The Dragon and El Matador were a thing.  To me, it never felt like they WEREN'T admitting Dragon was Steamboat, etc, just that it wasn't the name they referred to them with.  I recall a last name or two coming out every so often, and they didn't ignore their past history.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joseph2112 said:

What if they ignored someones past and no one cared? (About prior or current :lol:)

ywyknc8bm048tu378mx3-1472849547-800.jpeg

Punk acknowledged Festus when Luke Gallows joined the Straight Edge Society - he was being kept drugged up the whole time, which was why he was slow and dumb back then.  

• Like 4

The aforementioned SummerSlam 91 was a tape that got worn out in my VCR, and I can confirm that Fink definitely announced Kerry as "'The Texas Tornado' Kerry Von Erich." He was only around for a few months after that, IIRC, so I'm not sure they ever fully dropped it. They also never fully dropped Santana's name (or acted like Matador wasn't Santana).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Well, he liked to beat people up and he liked to have fun, you know we're talking about Barry Wind-hum.

Therefore, either Windham went from fighting people to hunting animals (not too big a jump) to become that, or failing that he had too much fun once and a woman told him to buzz off...but she didn't know that they were meant to be together and he had to show them this....it was only because of true love, right?

C'mon what woman is going to reject Barry Windham? 

• Like 2