DVDVR Message Board

Tabernacle! - Raw is Montreal - 4/30/2018

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

If Davey Richards does that Superplex / Falcon Arrow reversal spot that Rollins and Balor done we’d have 20 pages of “ugh this is awful”

The proof may be lost in the depths of the interwebs, but I can tell you with certainty we did way more than 20 pages on Davey Richards and his superplex spots.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

If Davey Richards does that Superplex / Falcon Arrow reversal spot that Rollins and Balor done we’d have 20 pages of “ugh this is awful”

It was literally that spot minus another reversal. Just ugh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm high on Almas but hate that he does the double moonsault in every match.

At least with Almas there's some psychology and it works in a vacuum, plus we know that once a cool spot is introduced WWE wrestlers get pigeonholed into getting it in every match. The superplex thing would still be terrible even if Rollins conserved it like it was the Burning Hammer and not a shitty transition spot. 

I agree that the spot is a bit much. But wrestling has gone so far since the initial Davey debate that I offer it the same dismissal I do Roman’s booking: After all this time, I don’t have the energy for full-throated outrage. 

That spot doesn’t do much to take my eye off the great year Rollins is having. 

My only problem with the basic superplex into falcon arrow is that it REALLY should be a finish.

But the immediate counter into the other guy hitting the falcon arrow is just awful.

9 minutes ago, (BP) said:

At least with Almas there's some psychology and it works in a vacuum, plus we know that once a cool spot is introduced WWE wrestlers get pigeonholed into getting it in every match. The superplex thing would still be terrible even if Rollins conserved it like it was the Burning Hammer and not a shitty transition spot. 

It'd just be better if he hit a normal moonsault once in a while.

• Like 3

Again, this is the issue with less is more, but it happens all the time. The rebound lariat goes here. So does something else we just mentioned. If it happens every once in awhile then it's so much more effective and cool looking. Something that spectacular shouldn't be done regularly because then it ceases to look spectacular. It's then just a normal spot.

In some ways I feel that WWE has done a good job with conditioning the crowd to react more to stuff that doesn't happen that often now. In other ways they've gotten even worse.

I don't know about these other lunatics, but I'm totally consistent. I saw one Will Ospreay match from the most recent Wrestle Kingdom and it was terrible. Even my 10 year old was like "Why doesn't that guy stay down when he gets hit with a move?"

• Like 2

Love the Alexa praise here. Natalya/Mickie was enjoyable though really short, the ringside and post match stuff was super fun. Elias/Roode was pretty good stuff and I really liked Ruby/Sasha, glad they kept the bff bs drama out of it and let them go. Still sick of Braun and don't see top guy anything there. Reigns and Lashley work the whole match until Braun gets the hot tag and wins in the same fashion as always, boring.  Corbin looks to be in the same position on a different brand, still taking every opportunity to make him look foolish.

Loved the main event, probably my favorite Rollins/Balor match thus far. I thought Rollins initial face turn run sucked, was super forced, and was absolutely ridiculous that he beat Joe and Triple H back to back on one leg, the ensuing Owens feud was totally forgettable. Nowadays I think he's come a long way since then and he's finally clicking as a face. Last night was crazy how over he was for the promo segment, definitely came off like the most popular guy there. Also that superplex falcon arrow was always a Davey spot but since Seth adopted it, I have been waiting for the last three years for someone to counter it with both guys going over the top rope.

57 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I just worry that six months of Strowman six-minute title defenses on PPV where he goes over every heel clean is putting us in the same territory that killed Brock. I mean, Brock was the most over guy in the company before this reign started to sour people, too. 

People were turning on Brock before the title reign started. Losing to Goldberg diffused it some and the Wrestlemania match and Joe feuds helped. But after Braun it was obvious he does not give a shit. The last worthwhile thing he did was the AJ Styles match. I am not going to take points away because AJ is great. But if you can't have at least a good match with AJ, you need to be released. 

I would be fine with Rollins as a face champion. Most of his title reigns problems were not his fault. He was put in a role that did not suit him. He was playing lap dog for Hunter and Stephanie a lot of the time and the booking was not very good. 

I think his good out weights his bad.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

People hating on Rollings is hilarious when you literally have AJ cutting poor promos weekly on SD Live. Good promos aren’t conductive to being a top guy in 2018.

They aren't even close to being as bad as Rollins.

He's literally one of my least favorite promo guys ever. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

They aren't even close to being as bad as Rollins.

He's literally one of my least favorite promo guys ever. 

Those Kami promos were atrocious. Face AJ is a terrible promo. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Right now, Rollins is probably perfectly slotted as an IC title holder tbh. Let him hold the title another six months and maybe then everyone will be on board with having him hold the world title again.

I’m fine with Brock as part time champ because man they’ve really made the IC title mean something. Love how Rollins, Balor and Miz refuse to see it as a consolation prize. 

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I really would like to see Seth in a permanent tag team. He's legitimately good in tag matches, and hopefully the partner could do all the talking.

Agreed. Shame the Shield reunion got messed up.