DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIV - 5/6/2018

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Here's where I am at:

I legitimately called it a great match. Not "watchable" but "great"

It's pretty easily the best one on one match I've ever seen Rollins in.

It's the third or fourth best one on one match I've seen Miz have this year. I'm not sure it would make my top ten favorite Miz singles matches.

It was a great match and imo the match of the night. However if you want a great match  check out the Nigel-Black match from ROH. I want to say it was January 2008.  Great match. Anything with Black VS Nigel was gold.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It was a great match and imo the match of the night. However if you want a great match  check out the Nigel-Black match from ROH. I want to say it was January 2008.  Great match. Anything with Black VS Nigel was gold.  

I kind of wish Tyler Black had a longer run as ROH world champion. He was really coming into his own as a heel champion at the time he left. Black should have gotten the belt earlier than he did, but we had to get the Jerry Lynn reign that tried to capitalize on The Wrestler being out at the time. Adam Pearce's booking fucking sucked.

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The two ROH shows I have been to:

- left after match 4 (Quack vs Danielson)

- left after match 1 (CMLL trio vs Daniels/Kazarian/someone)

I mean, to me, it just sounds like you wasted a lot of money to watch 5 matches?  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, to me, it just sounds like you wasted a lot of money to watch 5 matches?  

Quack and Danielson faced each other twice in ROH, in 2007 and 2009. I was at their '07 match, at Death Before Dishonor V night 2. If you left that show early, I'd call it a big mistake.

31 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Or, I paid to see what I wanted to see and didn’t just sit through stuff about which I didn’t care. Plus, one of those nights was during the World Series. A 6 pm bell time meant I was home to watch the ballgame too. 

12 hours ago, OSJ said:

Let me make sure that I understand this correctly, the year is 2018 and we have progressed to bitching about there being too much wrestling in our now free PPV (formerly $29.95). It's a funny old world, ain't it?   

I am being pedantic but the PPV was not "free". I mean yes, I could be one of those people who constantly takes advantage of the WWE's baffling decision to keep offering free months but I don't. I pay $9.95 a month. 

And I would say less than 5% of the current board demographics remember when PPVs where $29.95

And... if the quality of a product is shitty does it matter if it is "free" or not? (Heck - one could roll out the rote line that "you get what you pay for".)

13 hours ago, OSJ said:

Let me make sure that I understand this correctly, the year is 2018 and we have progressed to bitching about there being too much wrestling in our now free PPV (formerly $29.95). It's a funny old world, ain't it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

$29.95? Did this format change happen in 1998?

16 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Going back to my last comment about the strength coaches - It's really weird to me that 5 matches on the card all had 'selling the knee' as a plot point.

Jeff (probably legit) hurting his knee/leg to sacrifice himself trying to win.

Alexa & Bryan both 'chopping down' their bigger opponent.

Charlotte & Rollins both 'tweaking/jarring' their knee and it playing into the finish.

Aren't the agents all supposed to sit down and work that out? Its one of the scenes I remember most about The Wrestler when one team are all "Oh you guys are working the leg?". Another sign of a poorly constructed show with no real communication or flow in the booking.

I can't remember which ppv it was but there was one in the last year or two where pretty much every match had the heel transition to offense via some kind of move on the apron because it's THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING! After the 4th or 5th match with an apron spot, I was thinking the same thing you were, "isn't the whole reason they have agents is to prevent stuff like this?" And it wasn't like they were telling some larger overarching story, just every match used the same transition spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I can't remember which ppv it was but there was one in the last year or two where pretty much every match had the heel transition to offense via some kind of move on the apron because it's THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING! After the 4th or 5th match with an apron spot, I was thinking the same thing you were, "isn't the whole reason they have agents is to prevent stuff like this?" And it wasn't like they were telling some larger overarching story, just every match used the same transition spot.

Thank god we still have rarely used spots like the tower of doom!

Oh wait...

Come on, guys, lay off Carmella. She's a fun character, and at least she tries to get her shit over. Charlotte looked like she thought that whole deal was below her, selling Carmella's holds like it was slowly dawning on her that the dressing on her salad might not be light like she asked for. I mean, I get that going from beating Asuka at Mania to losing to Carmella at Backlash is a big drop-off, but that's WWE booking in a nutshell right there. Plenty of talented people didn't even get to be on the show.

• Like 2

Out of context of it being an awful finish and killing Nakamura yet again and all that ...

The slow mo of the double kick with the anguish of both guys, the ref's little "oh god" gasp and the announcers all cringing in the background is fucking hilarious.

double-dick-kick-finish1.gif?w=650

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I get people liking Rollins for his in-ring, but I don't know how anyone can get behind him on a personal level. There's just something so douchey about him. He's like the bad guy in an 80s movie who the hero has to beat at, like, ping pong or something in order to save the youth club. I can fully imagine Vince seeing that movie and being all 'now there's a guy we can all get behind'. Then he tasks the writers with fleshing out the character and they flesh it out with crossfit and pyromania.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I get people liking Rollins for his in-ring, but I don't know how anyone can get behind him on a personal level. There's just something so douchey about him. He's like the bad guy in an 80s movie who the hero has to beat at, like, ping pong or something in order to save the youth club. I can fully imagine Vince seeing that movie and being all 'now there's a guy we can all get behind'. Then he tasks the writers with fleshing out the character and they flesh it out with crossfit and pyromania.

I'm pretty sure that for the general fanbase (not saying anyone here necessarily), some of it is that he's the second generation of the workrate indy star to make it big in WWE. Punk and Bryan paved the way and broke the walls down (and to a degree Hart and Michaels had done it a generation before as "smaller guys"), and Rollins feels like the first chosen, acceptable indy guy, the first NXT champ, the one who actually went over instead of Reigns, and held it for 220 days. He's the first indy guy that is corporately sponsored and packaged. It's really sort of a way for the fanbase to have their cake ("It's Tyler Black! Look at him go!") and eat it too ("Oh hey, they're actually pushing this guy like they are invested in him and he's a WWE product! We're not going to end heartbroken again!").

Alternatively, a good chunk of the current 2018 fanbase are douchy crossfit people who want to date (but then cheat on) white supremacists? Who knows?

38 minutes ago, CSC said:

Out of context of it being an awful finish and killing Nakamura yet again and all that ...

The slow mo of the double kick with the anguish of both guys, the ref's little "oh god" gasp and the announcers all cringing in the background is fucking hilarious.

double-dick-kick-finish1.gif?w=650

Like I said, this was fucking hilarious when it happened before it became the finish of the match. I laughed really hard...until the ref started the 10 count and wasn't counting slowly. At that point, the realization set in that this was how the match would end - a fucking double 10 count in 2018. So all that laughter died real fast when that realization set in and then I was just annoyed. Annoyed and disappointed.

That match started slow and really hit another gear when AJ went for another splash on Nakamura on the outside and missed. I thought that was turning into something special. Then you had some really wild shit that you don't see, like AJ throwing the chair so fucking hard at Nakamura that it ricochets off Nakamura and blasts AJ in the face.

And it all ends with a double nut shot. A really awesome double nut shot, but one that shouldn't have been the finish.

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Quack and Danielson faced each other twice in ROH, in 2007 and 2009. I was at their '07 match, at Death Before Dishonor V night 2. If you left that show early, I'd call it a big mistake.

and I was at the Pittsburgh one in 09 and same thing considering Kenta was in the main event.

• Like 2

Going back to the “too much wrestling” point, for me it’s not too much wrestling per se but more that they’re now booking dual brand shows badly meaning less variety and speed booking stuff like AJ vs Nak so it stops being special.

I mean we’re edging to AJ vs Nak’s fourth match on PPV since April and only the blow off match is going to have any chance of being beyond okay.

Not to mention how Joe vs Reigns wasn’t booked or wrestled like a main event match. 

On 5/9/2018 at 1:48 PM, Cristobal said:

The two shows referenced:

Reveal hidden contents

9j4T4nB.jpg

rIr8zki.jpg

I mean watch what you want but I'm definitely judging you.

Wanna know how good the back half of the card of DBD V was?  I was at that show and FORGOT Danielson/Quack happened because of Morishima/Albright and the Main.