DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIV - 5/6/2018

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

Miz pulling out the "It doesn't matter if I win or lose, it's all about getting the people talking" should be akin to Ziggler's "It doesn't matter if I win or lose, it's all about stealing the show" but it won't be because people think Miz is on a god tier level in WWE for whatever reason.

This actually works in a kayfabe sense because it's a chickenshit heel making an excuse for the match he just lost.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

I eagerly await the posts when Miz versus Daniel Bryan happens and people claim Miz carried Bryan to a good match.

yT3FjNFqeS1RXx5ufU1qbYly7ft3eK6EFtajKgaV

Miz helped rein in Rollins’ stupid stuff and controlled the pacing of the match, keeping the heat compelling and interesting and helping to time the cut offs. You can’t even understand why someone might make that argument? It’s ok to disagree but it’s not ok to be unable to understand it or to dismiss it out of hand. No one's saying Rollins didn't bring anything to the table (intensity, and sure, execution), even if he dropped the selling a bit too much when it was his turn so that he could get his stuff in as much as possible and still did some ridiculous stuff at the end, but Miz was basing and doing some great work as a straight-forward heel with a lot of quality stuff (and bridging action) to make up the meat of the match. If you don't get that enough to at least understand why people might think it, then you have a very narrow view of wrestling. 

• Like 1

When I think of Daniel Bryan, the first thing that comes to mind is "spot monkey who needs to be reined in by a ring general."

On that note, I strongly doubt that fans would have left early en masse if he were in the main event. Or Styles/Nakamura.

• Like 1

People have really forgotten how fucking important bases are to a solid wrestling match because everyone's so fucking movez-centric now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NintendoLogic said:

When I think of Daniel Bryan, the first thing that comes to mind is "spot monkey who needs to be reined in by a ring general."

On that note, I strongly doubt that fans would have left early en masse if he were in the main event. Or Styles/Nakamura.

1: The entire thing people were scared of on his comeback was if he was gonna reel his shit in or keep landing on his head after every dropkick and do heatbutts.

2. You've never tried to get out of the Rock close to midnight on a sunday.

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Miz helped rein in Rollins’ stupid stuff and controlled the pacing of the match, keeping the heat compelling and interesting and helping to time the cut offs. You can’t even understand why someone might make that argument? It’s ok to disagree but it’s not ok to be unable to understand it or to dismiss it out of hand. No one's saying Rollins didn't bring anything to the table (intensity, and sure, execution), even if he dropped the selling a bit too much when it was his turn so that he could get his stuff in as much as possible and still did some ridiculous stuff at the end, but Miz was basing and doing some great work as a straight-forward heel with a lot of quality stuff (and bridging action) to make up the meat of the match. If you don't get that enough to at least understand why people might think it, then you have a very narrow view of wrestling. 

I don't look at wrestling under a microscope like you and so many others do. If I like it, awesome. If I don't, then I just don't. You can analyze why a wrestler would do what they do in the ring all day long if that's what you enjoy to do when you watch wrestling, but that's just not me. I'm not entertained by The Miz, at all, besides when he's cutting a promo. I really don't care enough about WWE (or even wrestling anymore) to sit here and critique the selling of one guy or how he did or didn't perform a move 100% spot on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

But you are happy to use animated gifs to knock people who are invested enough to think about this stuff even a little?

Got it. Glad to see you're such a constructive member of the community with so much to add. 

I mean apparently you care enough to post on a pro wrestling discussion forum in 2018?

• Like 2

Yeah, because even if I don't watch EVERY show and EVERY PPV and indies matches and old wrestling, I still find it odd that someone would think Miz carried someone like Rollins to a "watchable" match. And you're such a constructive member, because you suggest people shouldn't like Zack Sabre Jr and should watch whatever 70s wrestler you think is better than him and write a thesis on why they should? Your passion for wrestling is obvious, but I watch it as more of a habit than anything else. I haven't watched a WWE show that wasn't RAW since WrestleMania.

And yeah I post on a wrestling board, I post on several actually. Doesn't mean I only frequent the wrestling part. :lol:

I just don't get Vince McMahon's logic in continuing the Roman Reigns experiment after they basically had him get buried by Brock Lesnar twice. 

Like on one hand, you basically buried Reigns with the golden shovel on WrestleMania. And then you still have the announcers continuing to fellate and build up Roman every week, but they always fail to pull off the "coronation" with him. I don't get it. This isn't even 50/50 booking. It's like this bizarro Jekyll/Hyde booking.

And you know what? I didn't even hate the main event. Reigns and Joe clearly did their best. I don't hate Reigns or anything. The guy is just doing his thing. When has Reigns ever shown to be a political backstabber or a selfish worker? He hasn't. WWE put him in this position. Who else would turn down the position to be the top guy? It's just that Reigns isn't A+ player. He's not the guy. And the fans don't believe or accept in him as the guy. 

At least in 1997 when WWE saw the Rocky Maivia ultra babyface wasn't working, they at least had the willingness to turn him heel. Yeah I get it. I get it. Merchandise and other bullshit. Aren't there other guys who become great merchandise sellers? Doesn't Rusev move a ton of merchandise? And he's not even a babyface.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Why do you find it odd, though?

Because of my personal opinion that The Miz isn't good, at all? I've never seen a match with The Miz that I liked unless he was in the ring with someone that I already liked, and I wouldn't chalk that up to him carrying the other guy to a good match. You guys can love Miz and hate Rollins, but some are out here acting like Rollins is the Tom Magee of 2018 WWE or something.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

You would think AJ would've worn a cup by now lol

Well, I've learned from watching MMA that cups are apparently pointless because every time someone gets hit in the groin, they still react like they've been hit in the groin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Because of my personal opinion that The Miz isn't good, at all? I've never seen a match with The Miz that I liked unless he was in the ring with someone that I already liked, and I wouldn't chalk that up to him carrying the other guy to a good match. You guys can love Miz and hate Rollins, but some are out here acting like Rollins is the Tom Magee of 2018 WWE or something.

Rollins hits his stuff very well most of the time. Magee had agility but a certain clumsiness. No one is saying Rollins has that. What we're saying is that "hitting a lot of stuff cleanly" isn't the most important part of putting together a compelling match and in excess can be detrimental. I get where you're coming from for the most part, and you have like thirty years of smark philosophy backing you up. It's just too bad you can't get where we're coming from. 

No, I get it, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I think that's where we aren't agreeing.

I love MOVEZ type stuff, it's what I enjoy. I like spotfests, which is why when most people are groaning about 3 or 4 MITB matches, I'll for sure watch that show because I like those matches.

Here's where I am at:

I legitimately called it a great match. Not "watchable" but "great"

It's pretty easily the best one on one match I've ever seen Rollins in.

It's the third or fourth best one on one match I've seen Miz have this year. I'm not sure it would make my top ten favorite Miz singles matches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

No, I get it, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I think that's where we aren't agreeing.

I love MOVEZ type stuff, it's what I enjoy. I like spotfests, which is why when most people are groaning about 3 or 4 MITB matches, I'll for sure watch that show because I like those matches.

The difference with a guy like Bryan, for instance, is that he's traditionally able to hit both categories. You can have a spotfest that's still underpinned by story and given meaning by selling.

Ultimately, you're going to be into what you're into and I'm going to knock what I find frustrating, and if we can avoid mocking each other in the process, we'll be doing a damn sight better than we could be. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

At least in 1997 when WWE saw the Rocky Maivia ultra babyface wasn't working, they at least had the willingness to turn him heel. Yeah I get it. I get it. Merchandise and other bullshit. Aren't there other guys who become great merchandise sellers? Doesn't Rusev move a ton of merchandise? And he's not even a babyface. 

In 1997 WWE was fighting for their survival against WCW. In 2018 they have no competition, and are coming off their most profitable year ever.

1 hour ago, JCM said:

In 1997 WWE was fighting for their survival against WCW. In 2018 they have no competition, and are coming off their most profitable year ever.

They are coming off their highest revenue year ever. It was nowhere near their most profitable.

• Like 2

It's obvious at this point they've adopted the NFL brand over individual superstar philosophy. It goes against what were used to seeing in pro wrestling, but it's working for them so far.

1 minute ago, JCM said:

It's obvious at this point they've adopted the NFL brand over individual superstar philosophy. It goes against what were used to seeing in pro wrestling, but it's working for them so far.

"Working" is relative. It's sort of like they're giving up on any potential for a boom in order to have stability and (more importantly) control. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

"Working" is relative. It's sort of like they're giving up on any potential for a boom in order to have stability and (more importantly) control. 

As long as Saudi princes are willing to drop $30 million to Fantasy book a house show a couple of times a year, I think Vince doesn't mind if a boom doesn't happen.

• Like 2