DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIV - 5/6/2018

Dolfan in NYC

All of you hating on the Roman Empire need to go watch Impact.

Roman is the MAN!  And not just any man, SUPERMAN!  The guy was PASSED OUT and 3 seconds later was up and took Joe down for the count.  All of that while the two best of the best were kicking each other in the balls.

Romanmaniacs were running wild tonight!  Take them vitamins and say your prayers.  Hustle, loyality, and respect, they all build a great empire...THE ROMAN EMPIRE!

• Haha 2

Loved the first two matches. Rollins/Miz was excellent. The first Skull Crushing Finale almost got me but watching it I was thinking to myself that I knew the match couldn't end until Seth hit his superplex spot, then when that actually got countered into the 2nd SCF, absolutely bought that as the finish. Great stuff. Thought Alexa/Nia was very good like their WM match. The DDT on the steps was an awesome spot, I wanted that to be the finish and have Alexa go over by countout. Fun match overall. I'm guessing the Riott Squad will attack Nia to set up her next feud while this will be Alexa's first time out of the title picture since coming to the main roster.

After that the show was mostly downhill. Orton/Hardy was solid but seemed real basic. Bryan/Cass was the shortest match of the night. Carmella/Charlotte had it's moments but that finish was rough. Styles/Nakamura was going pretty good until that finish, things picked up towards the end and the blood added a lot. They made a no DQ match because they had a double countout so they had another double countout. The tag team basic squash match in the death spot was as boring as would be expected and the main event seemed pointless and heatless. I thought something different might happen to close the show since Reigns/Joe were randomly headlining over the WWE title but it just ended flat.

15 minutes ago, bink_winkleman said:

Oh, come on.

Mostly bad show. Women's matches were basically catfight bikini battles. AJ/Nak was good til the end. Roman had another match that he would have been great in if he wasn't saddled with the world's worst super hero gimmick. Damn I wish Joe had been signed ten years ago.

If Joe could still go physically it would be amazing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I think it's time Trips and Steph organize a co and get the board to vote Vince out. They need to go in another direction. the crowd isn't going to turn around on Roman. Get Triple H in there as Chairmen bring Borash in and get Dunn out and lets turn this ship around.

Go back to 2004 and tell any wrestling fan that in the future we would be begging for Triple H and Jeremy Borash to run WWE so that American Dragon, Samoa Joe & AJ Styles can get booked properly in the main event.

What a time to be alive...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Roman is the foreseeable ace until they get a suitable replacement. But even then he is booked as not being able to win the top title. Interesting thing is nobody can beat Brock and Roman can only nearly beat him. Kinda makes Rybacks old statement of no more real top acts but the brand true.

Weird thought - Do WWE think they are making Brock some sort of super champion ala Okada? We all thought Omega would take him down. Then we were certain it was Naito's time again.

Who is the 'ace' behind Roman? Braun is the call right now but they appear to be avoiding him at all costs. "Ya dont put the title on Andre" and all that.

Lashley? Could they do a worked shoot and make it look more like a UFC fight? How does that work with a stalled suplex finisher? What's up with that BTW? Use the Dominator Bobby*!

Is there someone in NXT that we could legitimately see being a massive main event star in the future while also having a look that Vince would go for?  A few people have talked up Triple H loving Almas. Give him 12 months on SDL then beat Brock at Mania next year for the latin crossover?

Really hard to see who gets a legit rub beating Brock at this point.

*Holy crap. How long til Vince realizes Bobby Lashley and Bobby Roode are on the same show and one of them has to give up their name?

• Haha 1

Drew has the look. But i don't think he connects well with the crowd. If it was 1996 he'd be pushed to the moon right now... and we would hate him.

Rusev is the clear amswer, but itbwill take a Bryan-esque fan movement to force that hand.

I know Fowler won't like it but if Seth can keep up his momentum for another 6 months or so he should be in with a realistic shout of being the guy to beat Brock. If thousands of fans flooding the exits during the main event isn't enough to make Vince realize Roman is toast then I don't know what will. 

• Like 1

Bayley/Ruby was decent.

Miz/Seth was the best match Miz has had since the series with Ziggler. I could have done w/o the dumb superplex stuff, but otherwise it was great

Alexa/Nia was decent but not as good as their WM match.

I only half paid attention to Orton/Hardy. It seemed ok enough.

Bryan/Cass was decent enough.

Carmella/Charlotte had too much Carmella on offense, but was still fairly decent until the shitty finish.

Styles/Nakamura was pretty good until the dumb finish.

Joe/Roman was alright, but had no business being the main event.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Oh and let me get this straight.  Charlotte ends Asuka's big winning streak at WrestleMania because....  well,  I guess it'd make sense if she was going on a streak of her own and heading towards Ronda.  

But fast-forward a month and Carmella cashes in and then beats Charlotte CLEAN...  Yeah,  she tweaked her leg,   whatever.   It's clean.  

And lost in all of this...   Asuka isn't even on the fucking PPV.   

Now,  I remember some people saying they didn't have a problem with Charlotte winning at WM.  Have you changed your mind now? 

Why would someone change their mind? It just means Carmlla would have likely won the belt off of Asuka which would have been worse. Seriously, the shitty booking here is purely on making Carmella champ in the first place. She didn't need it, and it was detrimental to the division with all the talent they currently have who are better and more over. The only reason it happened was because they were dumb enough to make Carmella the first female MITB winner and didn't want the first winner to lose her title shot.

5 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Is Big Cass the new Baron Corbin?  Because we still have a Baron Corbin.

Why insult Corbin? He is way better than Cass.

25 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Drew has the look. But i don't think he connects well with the crowd. If it was 1996 he'd be pushed to the moon right now... and we would hate him.

Rusev is the clear amswer, but itbwill take a Bryan-esque fan movement to force that hand.

And the fans that would be behind that- I think most of them would rather see Rusev be fired and end up in NJPW instead.

13 minutes ago, brandonr4s said:

We've kind of said it jokingly back and forth for years, and perhaps there were elements of truth, but now it's not at all hyperbole to say that Vince has completely lost touch.

It wasn't really a joke back then when people here saying it.

What in the motherfuck?! Just finished the show. Seriously, what the fuck is going on with WWE? Roman fucking sucks. Each one of "the boys" can talk about how good Roman is, but the dude has booked into oblivion, has only one mode, he can't look like anything but a bitch, and fans leave for the exits.

While we're currently motherfucking WWE's dead weight, motherfuck PS Hayes too for putting that bullshit between Roman and Joe together. That match wouldn't fucking end and then having Roman pass out, keeping the camera fixed on his dumb fucking face, followed by the ref repeatedly tapping Roman instead of doing what any other ref would do which is end the match was infuriating. I get "Roman must look strong," but this shit was ridiculous. BTW, where the fuck was "Roman must look strong" at WM 31? How about at any Raw leading up to WM this year? What about the WM this year? GRR?

Big Cass is a walking fucking disaster. The only one who looks as bumbling and clumsy as this big dumbass is Nia, who just probably injured Alexa. Daniel Bryan won't make Big Cass better. No one will. He sucks. He's a tag wrestler they're trying to turn into a top of the card wrestler except he's as coordinated as his lame as suit that had one jacket sleeve shorter than the other. This motherfucker ain't Diesel. He won't even be Test.

At first I laughed pretty hard at AJ and Nakamura kicking each other in the balls. And then the match ended with no winner. THEY'VE FUCKING RUINED NAKAMURA. How the fuck....I...FUCK...There are no words for the frustration I'm feeling at realizing that they won't put the title on Nakamura. Maybe they will, who knows, but I fucking HATE these feuds where the obvious title change doesn't happen. Then the next match happens and it's a DQ finish. Then the next match happens and it's a double countout or like this, a double 10 count. It's just never ending and it helps no one.

They're really going to do nothing with Braun. What's worse is that they're booking Lashley like it's his original run.

I fucking hate this company. I only watch because they employ most people I give a shit about when they're not running off anyone who is a favorite wrestler.

As always, CM Punk is right. Nothing improves until Vince dies.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Why would someone change their mind? It just means Carmlla would have likely won the belt off of Asuka which would have been worse. Seriously, the shitty booking here is purely on making Carmella champ in the first place. She didn't need it, and it was detrimental to the division with all the talent they currently have who are better and more over. The only reason it happened was because they were dumb enough to make Carmella the first female MITB winner and didn't want the first winner to lose her title shot.

I disagree with this because they still had months before they had to pay off the MITB deal and Carmella didn't even have to cash in on a SDL champion. She could have cashed in on the RAW champ OR she could have been drafted over to RAW during the shake up.  So there were plenty of options with Carmella.  I think the best move of all if they really wanted to make her champion is to let Nia Jax get her big win over the obnoxious Alexa Bliss and hold the title for a few months and then have another obnoxious heel in Carmella cash in on her.  

Asuka didn't have to drop her streak because she didn't need to be tied to Carmella at all.  We all know why Charlotte broke the streak, it was a combination of her being Vince's favorite,  creative not wanting to be creative, they viewed the streak as a disadvantage more than anything and I'm guessing the undervalued part of it is that Vince probably doesn't think Asuka can be a star.  

But even so..  if you are going to have Charlotte beat Asuka then Charlotte should then be protected or else the win means nothing and it especially means nothing if Asuka can't even crack a PPV card now. 

The problem with Carmella moving to RAW during the Shakeup is that the MITB between the Smackdown women last year was, presumably, for a shot at the Smackdown Women's Champion. It's not like the Rumble where they can choose which champion they want to face. MITB is brand specific. Well, I mean, now it's not brand specific, but when that show originally happened it was. Unless Shane & Daniel were just totally inept and didn't put that explicitly into the contract that's in the briefcase.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

The problem with Carmella moving to RAW during the Shakeup is that the MITB between the Smackdown women last year was, presumably, for a shot at the Smackdown Women's Champion. It's not like the Rumble where they can choose which champion they want to take. MITB is brand specific. Well, I mean, now it's not brand specific, but when that show originally happened it was. Unless Shane & Daniel were just totally inept and didn't put that explicitly into the contract that's in the briefcase.

The case she held was white which I assumed to be a neutral color. Remember,  they've had red and blue cases to indicate which brand the case was to be used for.   But dating back to the very beginning,  MITB winners could go after either the WWE title or the World Heavyweight title.  

It just seems like they would have mentioned it if that was the case. They treated the MITB since the recent roster split as brand specific. Corbin's briefcase was blue... so why is it different for the women of Smackdown?