DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIV - 5/6/2018

Dolfan in NYC

I think renewing the brand split was a bad idea in the first place. WWE had three touring shows in the 1980's and did not need to have an official split. But the writing team is so undisciplined, they need to have an official split to avoid using everyone on every show.  

So now with the brand split but no exclusive ppvs, you end up with shows longer than the Oscars where you have to feature all the top guys and lower card still gets nothing. 

On 5/3/2018 at 5:38 AM, Victator said:

I think renewing the brand split was a bad idea in the first place. WWE had three touring shows in the 1980's and did not need to have an official split.

They also had like an hour or two of TV a week and could fill most of that with jobber squashes and promos for angles that would get 10 minutes of airtime over a 3 month period so you could slow burn it forever.

I'm not saying I love current WWE writing but comparing what they need to do now with what they needed to do with the 80s is comparing an F1 race to a trip to the 7-Eleven.

21 hours ago, Cristobal said:

They also had like an hour or two of TV a week and could fill most of that with jobber squashes and promos for angles that would get 10 minutes of airtime over a 3 month period so you could slow burn it forever.

I'm not saying I love current WWE writing but comparing what they need to do now with what they needed to do with the 80s is comparing an F1 race to a trip to the 7-Eleven.

WWE actually had six hours of TV a week in the 80's. People try to act like things are radically different. But in terms of TV and touring, its basically the same idea. 

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Why again are they cobranding all ppv's? How is this saving cost?

It started because they were running two ppvs in several months, one for each brand. That didn't seem to help add any network subs, so they scaled back to 12 a year (give or take a sold show for a rich foreign government)

But that made it harder for them to book each show when sometimes they'd go a couple months without a solo brand ppv for one show (like if RAW had the October ppv and then Survivor Series in November basically puts all storylines on the back burner for the head to head thing, SmackDown wouldn't have the big blow off show until December despite not having had one since September)

And though Vic is right they did run quite a bit of TV in the 80's as well, there were a lot less marque matches and the understanding that some of the programs would only blow off on the road and not on ppv. Squash matches will never come back as a major full time thing, which is a shame because it sure did make getting finishers over and establishing characters easier. But it's important to understand that, by far, the biggest driver of WWE's frankly insane revenue is tv rights, not live events anymore.

Then they also were struggling to sell tickets to some of the solo brand ppvs, so adding the headliners from the other brand as well would hopefully help with that. 

I can understand all the realities of why they are doing it but still dislike it intensely.

• Thanks 2

I’m just amazed they’ve ran through Styles vs Nak three times in six weeks, to the point the matches means nothing anymore.

I mean they’ve been decent, but if Nak doesn’t win and if the match is merely decent, where the Hell can he go from here?

Nakamura can go to RAW to feud with Rollins after he inevitably wins the Universal title because they’re too gun shy to pull the trigger on Braun, Universal Champion.

:D

There are so many things on this show that could be disastrous:

1.  What if Daniel Bryan first singles PPV match back is a lost to Big Cass

2.  As bad as Reigns has looked in the last 2 or 3 months, how bad is Joe going to look if he loses tonight to Roman.  I would assume that Joe is getting the Braun treatment where he is pushed strong only to lose in January/Februrary/March 2019 to justify another Reigns main event match.   But maybe that is still Braun's role.   Or maybe Braun's role is to be the Samoa Joe in the Lashley feud to make Lashley look strong when Brock kills him.   Confusing ain't it :blink:

3.  Really both Nia and Carmella should win tonight but given their opponent I wouldn't be shocked if neither of them wins tonight

Strange they went with Bayley vs Ruby Riott.  I guess Sasha is hurt or busy for this match tonight

On 5/5/2018 at 12:14 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

Daniel Bryan doesn't need his testicles.

Well given how important Brie was in his comeback (if you believe the fight for your dreams promo), they might be more important then we ever thought

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

2.  As bad as Reigns has looked in the last 2 or 3 months, how bad is Joe going to look if he loses tonight to Roman.  I would assume that Joe is getting the Braun treatment where he is pushed strong only to lose in January/Februrary/March 2019 to justify another Reigns main event match.   But maybe that is still Braun's role.   Or maybe Braun's role is to be the Samoa Joe in the Lashley feud to make Lashley look strong when Brock kills him.   Confusing ain't it :blink:

Joe can lose every night and be credible. Former TNA guys are very durable, like how Rasputin was immune to poison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The means of the Brock loss (one F5 before that was established as a thing) hurt Joe, not in as it dropped him to below where he was before the program, but where it did undo a lot of the growth he had garnered in the program itself. .

41 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Not if you Roman Reigns him

The only thing that has saved a Braun vs Brock feud from being dead is that he only pinned him clean and rather quickly once.

Did you not see the shit TNA did to him and he bounced back. Losing to what WWE considers their number 2 guy is water off a ducks back. 

• Like 1

Sasha isn't hurt or busy.  Her and Titus were at the Steve Irwin event last night in L.A. which means they both had to fly across country yet again to get back for Backlash and neither will probably do much of anything.  I had some thoughts about a discussion here but I'll go to the wrestling thread as it fits there better. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Did you not see the shit TNA did to him and he bounced back. Losing to what WWE considers their number 2 guy is water off a ducks back. 

This is a big reason Joe is my favorite '00s-era wrestler. Dude is magic. Shame he's finally arrived only to be older and injury prone, or I really do think he'd be more than a speed bump to Reigns right now.