DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIV - 5/6/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Next PPV is next Sunday, so...  now that GRR is done, here's what we got:

NO DISQUALIFICATIONS MATCH FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - AJ Styles (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

OR THE WWE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Nia Jax (c) vs. Alexa Bliss

FOR THE WWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Carmella (c) vs. Charlotte Flair

FOR THE WWE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Seth Rollins (c) vs. The Miz

Daniel Bryan vs. Big Cass

Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe

Probably:Ronda Rousey vs. Mickie James

Also:

FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - bOrK nEvER dEfeNDs hIs tItLe LoL

• Like 1

I just want Nakamura as champ already. Kind of surprised there isn't stip for AJ/Nakamura

Its kind of nice that we are getting 3 women's matches. Will be interesting to see what Mickie can get out of Ronda if their match is happening here. I assume Carmella retains though I really hope she doesn't. There are too many better women on the show to be focusing the division on her. I'm actually looking forward to Nia/Alexa after their WM match.

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

If the Twitter machine is correct we could see the Deleters of Worlds defend against Braun and Lashley

This seems off to me. On the other hand if it leads to Braun and Lashley vs. AoP I'm all for it.

So, is Daniel Bryan vs. Big Cass gonna be this generations Bret Hart vs. Tom Mcghee? I kinda feel sorry for Cass. He has the pressure of the world on him coming back from this injury. He's getting no reaction as a heel. The guy is so much better as a face yet their having him go as generic big guy.

I really hope Ronda vs. Mickie happens because that could be an outstanding match.

Cass was doomed the moment he was split from Enzo. The dude could have the combined wit of Richard Pryor and George Carlin and speak seven languages and VKM would still scream "He's a hoss, he's 7ft tall!"

• Like 2

Remember when we were thinking Backlash could possibly be the big Sasha and Bayley blow off?  Such a shame what creative has done to both ladies. They appear on the banner along with the Riot Squad so I'm assuming maybe a kickoff tag match that will be yet another waste of time.  

This angle with them is the strangest fucking thing. Like, I still think it's partially wanting to stretch it out until Brooklyn, but the way it just keeps spinning the wheels week after week is absurd.

Also, semi-related: I already miss the split brand ppvs.

• Like 2

The combined PPVs still makes no sense to me. Most of the roster is now unlikely to ever make it onto on a PPV - guys like Revival, Chad Gable, Fashion Police and a million others of their ilk should all be worried for their jobs.

That's true. Somebody brought up a good point on here a while ago. They keep on adding to their roster by either signing guys or promoting from NXT, but they haven't actually done any kind of purging for a long, long time. Only guys I can think of were all from 205 Live and are gone for various reasons (Neville, Aries, Swann, Enzo)

Yeah, I don't get totally ending the split brand PPVs. If anything, it could have just been done quietly. For example, if a SDL PPV has 8 matches, than maybe 2 of those are Raw matches. The reverse is then true for Raw PPVs. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 10:26 PM, Phantom Lord said:

I kinda feel sorry for Cass. He has the pressure of the world on him coming back from this injury.

...and then nearly got killed by Lashley at the GRR with that botched brainbuster. Ugh.

• Like 1

I think renewing the brand split was a bad idea in the first place. WWE had three touring shows in the 1980's and did not need to have an official split. But the writing team is so undisciplined, they need to have an official split to avoid using everyone on every show.  

So now with the brand split but no exclusive ppvs, you end up with shows longer than the Oscars where you have to feature all the top guys and lower card still gets nothing.