DVDVR Message Board

Rock God who Least Looked the Part

OSJ

Aw man, Burn is fantastic, and Stormbringer ain't shabby either. I will say that is more due to Glenn Hughes on bass/vox than Coverdale however because in the cocaine days the guy was just a maelstrom -- check this out

Speaking of proto-metal and guys that didn't look like rock stars, how about the lugs in Bachman-Turner Overdrive? That's a bunch of truckers and welders if anything. 

Having been there in their heyday, we always called them "Bachman-Turner Overweight". One of their most memorable concerts was at the Seattle Center Arena when the opening act blew them off the stage... The opening act was Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. We got two encores from Bob and then left to go smoke pot in the car, after that no one gave a fuck about seeing BTO.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

<---------------------------------

Ahh... Warren always had the cool singer/songwriter vibe going IMO.  No, no one was going to mistake him for David Bowie or Mick Jagger, but the dude had presence, in his live performances he always came across as a star. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of when I tried to put together an all-ugly rock band. I forget a couple of them but it had:

Lead vocals: Shane McGowan
Guitars: Steve Howe and Andy Taylor
Drums: Nicko McBrain

So just need bass and keys.

15 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Nobody's idea of a rock God, but the lead singer of Candlemass looks like the winner of more than one fried baloney eating contest.
candlemass_zpsgnl5oefj.jpg

I will have nobody besmirching the good name of Messiah fucking Marcolin and his awesome extendo-fro!

This is hilarious, and incidentally has a teenaged cameo by the late Per Yngve Ohlin (AKA Dead) of Mayhem infamy

EDIT: Actually Dead was in the "Bewitched" video. Just another fuckup from me today... what the hell...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Reminds me of when I tried to put together an all-ugly rock band. I forget a couple of them but it had:

Lead vocals: Shane McGowan
Guitars: Steve Howe and Andy Taylor
Drums: Nicko McBrain

So just need bass and keys.

Geddy Lee and Lemmy are right there. Geddy can do the bass and keys to boot

Just now, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Geddy Lee and Lemmy are right there. Geddy can do the bass and keys to boot

Lemmy was a little too obvious... then again I didn't know Shane got his teeth fixed so it isn't quite the same. 

MyNTO097UeEJGtx8DNkZpnwyi1CB3Pnzxk3XeDsH

I think it a requirement to be somewhat of a dork to play in the Dead (and this goes back to Jerry Garcia), any band that takes their name from a cover of Terror Tales or Dime Mystery Magazine (I forget which), has to have nerdish tendencies. 

As you say, Jack Cassidy of the Airplane is cool as the inside of my refrigerator, I just wish he'd been in a better band. With the exception of about a half-dozen songs, I thought the Airplane sucked mightily, and we shan't even mention the abomination that was Starship.

Even if you don't like the Airplane, you have to admit that Jack and Jorma went on to kick ass as Hot Tuna. They're still hitting it hard today - mostly acoustic blues, unlike their also-great 70's Blooze, and it's awesome. Those dudes are legit. 

So are Phil and Jerry legit, of course. I listen to more than my fair share of the Dead for sure. (I can't call myself a deadhead, tho, cuz I can go weeks without listening to them.) And I agree about Jerry's dorkdom. He grew the beard cuz - like Riker -  he had little choice. He didn't look cool with the beard, but he looked less silly. 

Oh, Hot Tuna was and is cool as fuck. "Burgers" is one of the great albums of all-time. It's a damn shame that Papa John is no longer with us, those were some fantastic times. Jorma and Jack have proven repeatedly that we white boys can play the blues when called upon to do so.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 6:11 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Aw man, Burn is fantastic, and Stormbringer ain't shabby either. I will say that is more due to Glenn Hughes on bass/vox than Coverdale however because in the cocaine days the guy was just a maelstrom -- check this out

Speaking of proto-metal and guys that didn't look like rock stars, how about the lugs in Bachman-Turner Overdrive? That's a bunch of truckers and welders if anything. 

I'll never understand how Glenn in Black Sabbath worked so poorly.