DVDVR Message Board

2018 NBA Playoffs: QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The thing is...  eventually it's going to happen.  We've seen 3-1 comebacks a lot I see no reason why 3-0 can't happen and this is the perfect series for it.  Stevens is ridiculous but Philly is the more talented team and if they find a way to get rolling they could possibly rip off a few wins against this depleted roster.

https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/993316976423469056

Brett Brown has had a tough series. It took him til game 3 to cut out all that JJ and Belly guarding Tatum nonsense. Hard to believe he didn't call a timeout when that huge lead was evaporating in game 2.

I wish they would run more pick-and-rolls with Simmons.  He scored on one in Game 3 and I think it was the only time I remember seeing a Simmons/Embiid pick and roll.

Glad they played well tonight and good on TJ earning those minutes.  I'll give Brown credit on that one.  Good adjustment starting him tonight. He played way better against Rozier than I expected and it was nice seeing Simmons off the ball for stretches.  

Simmons makes some REALLY dumb plays.  He threw a full court pass up 10 with 4 minutes left tonight and I thought Brett Brown's head was going to explode.

21 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Brett Brown has had a tough series. It took him til game 3 to cut out all that JJ and Belly guarding Tatum nonsense. Hard to believe he didn't call a timeout when that huge lead was evaporating in game 2.

I wish they would run more pick-and-rolls with Simmons.  He scored on one in Game 3 and I think it was the only time I remember seeing a Simmons/Embiid pick and roll.

Glad they played well tonight and good on TJ earning those minutes.  I'll give Brown credit on that one.  Good adjustment starting him tonight. He played way better against Rozier than I expected and it was nice seeing Simmons off the ball for stretches.  

Simmons makes some REALLY dumb plays.  He threw a full court pass up 10 with 4 minutes left tonight and I thought Brett Brown's head was going to explode.

I swear when he did that I exclaimed "What the fuck is he doing???". That was like the most low basketball IQ play I can recall seeing in a game this season.

16 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Dude, back then anything short of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon was allowed on defense. There were entire gameplans where the idea was if you beat up Jordan enough he’ll pass the ball. 

About that: there's literally never been a player who was built better to thrive against hand checks and "Jordan rules" than LeBron.

Both would be great in any era ever, but taking the exact skill set each has/had, LeBron would adjust to Jordan's era a lot easier than vice versa. Isos against the old illegal defense rules when he's already bigger, stronger, quicker and faster than literally everybody? Jordan would be great today, of course, but he would either have to improve his outside shooting a lot or he'd be basically bigger Westbrook.

Which isn't really an insult, Westbrook is one of the best players in the NBA and a first ballot Hall of Fame guy. 

And even if you are 100% convinced Jordan's peak is superior to LeBron's, you have to look at the fact that Jordan only played 15 seasons (2 of them greatly abridged) and this is already year 15 for LeBron and he's way the fuck better than Washington MJ (and younger obviously) he's gonna end up playing 5-7 more years than Jordan, and at least three or four more years of being a truly great player. This is his 10th trip to the conference finals in the last twelve years ffs.

Westbrook as a first ballot hall of famer is a joke. Just off the top of my head are a few current players I’d put ahead of Westbrook right now:

LeBron

Harden

Durant 

Kawhi

Curry

Dame

Anthony Davis

Donovan Mitchell

Derozan

Kyrie 

Giannis

Oladipo

prove me wrong.

The one thing that's being discounted in the mental game.  I don't care how big and strong LeBron is, he has had mental breakdowns in his prime years.  MJ never did.  Once MJ won, he never lost again outside of Orlando when he first got back.  It's not a knock on LeBron to lose to the Warriors this year or even last.  But the Orlando '09,  Boston '10,  Dallas '11 was a terrible stretch for him and '14 San Antonio was very ugly as well.   LeBron and his teams were favored in all of those series. 

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

This is his 10th trip to the conference finals in the last twelve years ffs.

East has never been worse.  Orlando,  New York,  Miami and Indiana were all way better teams than Toronto,  Washington,  depleted Boston, Chicago with injured D-Rose, etc

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

That’s crazy

What's crazy about it?  Start with the guards you listed.  Dame,  Oladipo and Demar are all chuckers just like many claim Westbrook to be except Westbrook has a much better all around offensive game than any of them and when Westbrook's shots aren't falling he's still impacting the game by setting up his teammates and flying over defenders for offensive rebounds.   When Westbrook has a triple double the team wins like 80% of the time.  Contrary to popular belief,  it's better for the team when Westbrook is doing everything. 

19 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

If basketball didn't totally fucking suck I would be really angry right now

Yeah, Canada always has Olympic hockey!

Oh yeah...

• Haha 1

This is it, Houston. Finish the job.

The West is top heavy; no doubt. Some combo of the Warriors plus the Spurs/Thunder/Rockets (although I saw them as the Raptors of the west before this breakout year) have been viable championship contenders. However, I think the overall "toughness" of the conference is a bit overblown especially the fringe playoff teams.  Golden State has barely faced any adversity in the first two rounds of last year's and this year playoffs to the point peoplepeven needs to comeback until the Conference Finals. The only playoff game the Warriors lost last year was against an Eastern Conference tream, and it's been some combo of Warriors vs. Spurs/Thunder before Durant left/Rockets in the Western Conference finals.  No western conference besmirchments have followed though.

I REALLY want that game 6 so you may as well bet all your money on the Celtics tonight because my luck is total shit. Fuck.

In a related note I just looked up why Meek Mill went to prison. Drug possession  (using a substance of his own volition doing no harm to anyone else but some moralistic turd says he can't) and carrying an unlicensed gun (exercising a right that our founding fathers thought was so important they put it in writing). After reading that I think the people who sent him away are the ones who really belong in fucking prison. Come on Sixers, win this shit for Meek!!!!!!

• Like 1