DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco

matt925

That felt super telegraphed as soon as they started walking up the ramp, like the Bucks were waiting for an eventual attack. Once they came out I figured they were the Bucks' next challengers which should be fun. Though I really wanna see the Bucks against Killer Elite Squad. Effective closing angle regardless. Ready for Haku vs. Omega and/or Cody.

2 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

That felt super telegraphed as soon as they started walking up the ramp, like the Bucks were waiting for an eventual attack. Once they came out I figured they were the Bucks' next challengers which should be fun. Though I really wanna see the Bucks against Killer Elite Squad. Effective closing angle regardless. Ready for Haku vs. Omega and/or Cody.

I was waiting for either a promo video on the tron or the Bucks to superkick Omega.  Surprised where the attack ended up coming from.

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Wait, I left after the speech. What happened? GOD attacked Bucks? 

Correct, destroyed Omega and the Bucks. Hangman and Marty came out and got flatttened as well. Same for Yujiro and Chase. Cody came back and teased joining in against Omega but hit the GoD with a steel chair until Haku stopped him and hit the piledriver. Haku and his boys stand tall.

Only tuned in for the last three matches, which were insane, kinda messy in parts, probably all Too Much, and I loved them. Jay White versus the AXS announce crew is the feud we needed, nevermind Bullet Club. (And he’s getting that G1 push. Kicked out of a loaded punch and finisher, only to lose on a roll up.)

That sounds rad and I'm pissed I missed that but what an experience today was between eating lunch with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Legion of Honor museum and then this perfectly paced, spectacular card that over delivered big time. I don't have a tonne to say beyond witnessing NJPW wrestlers' spots live gave me a whole new level of appreciation for their athleticism. Some of the stuff you see the juniors pull off on tv and it's just a thing is not just a thing live. And the excess is unavoidable for both the Lee and main event matches because of what's come before. I also dug Lee and Hiromu countering so much because they've wrestled a hundred times and they've shown it in the past and are coming up with new counters to counters and new methods of killing each other. I think I preferred the ROH version of Cody vs. Kenny to this but it was still everything the crowd wanted and then some. The ladder spot was the best visual I've ever seen at a live show. Just beautiful. Really fun match but this will hopefully go down as the night Jay White matured as a wrestler and found himself. Just an unreal heel performance. And great stuff with Josh. If we get warmaster vs. switchblade out of this too?! Damn. I guess I did have some rambling in me. 

This really hammers home how badly I would like to do a G1 holiday in Japan next year, hitting up Korakuen and Sumo Hall with maybe another city or two in between. 

• Like 3

ITT people wanting Haku single matches in New Japan when he could barely perform a piledriver on Omega. It reeks of people selling for old man Snuka in the Rumble or any other old “legend” who is basically immobile.

The only question that matters now is WHOSE SIDE IS FALE ON. Underboss constantly getting no respect from you guys. Who cares about Haku and his boys when the real Bullet Club OG is left out in the cold.

His piledriver in the tag match looked sick tho. Haku for G1. Haku vs. Yano! Where da fuck is Fale btw? 

P.S. There was an awesome fan experiencing NJPW for the first time in the row ahead of me and he was just losing his shit for everything. Added so much to the night and it was like having a personal David Crockett. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

One worrying thing about the Bullet Club angle is that the Firing Squad shirts still said "BC" on them. So we may be looking at two officially warring factions both calling themselves "Bullet Club", a la nWo Wolfpac vs. nWo Hollywood. I'm not too keen on that idea, but from a branding/merchandising perspective, it might be too good for them to pass up.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

That angle really needed Fale to sell it.  I'm really not buying fucking GOD and Old Man Haku steamrolling 8 dudes by themselves.

God, saves us all from the Tama singles push.

100%.  I was waiting for Fale the whole time to come choose a side.

Firing Squad says it's about family. Fale and Tanga are cousins. (He's also related to Tama and Hikuleo, but it's apparently more distant, as they are Haku's adopted sons (and actual nephews)). 

Chris Charlton on Twitter said the attendance was 6333. 

The crowd was great except for some of the annoying chants. When they showed the heavyweight title montage Lesnar got big boos and AJ got big cheers. 

• Like 2

I just got back. Man that was a great show. 95% Bullet Club shirts and 5% WWE shirts and those terrible overpriced jackets. Crowd was pretty on point for everything all night; reminded me of the NXT crowd in San Jose Mania weekend. Stage, ramp, lighting wasn't overly elaborate, but what a difference it added to this experience vs. when APW ran it twice previously. Floor and risers section were full. What would be called the upper deck (its not) was probably 50% full with the empty sections being right underneath NJPW's hard cam side. Speaking of which, it was interesting to see how they had their hard camera set up with the wide cam angle. WWE has theirs at the "9 o'clock" position, in relation to their stage/ramp, where as NJPW has theirs positioned at "6 o'clock" facing straight at the ramp and 'tron.' As a production guy, that stuff sticks out to me. 

I got into all the matches, even that Young Bucks match. The Hiromu vs. Lee was pretty nuts. After seeing him for the first time live at the KOI tourny, and win, I'm all on board with this guy. I was in line for food during the Okada and Niato entrances, and we didn't even get a rainmaker or an Oscutter, so I was bummed on that one. As mentioned the crowd was really into Juice vs. White. APW brought in White last Oct, just before his Switchblade debut in Japan and he impressed me then, so I might have been the only one pulling for him tonight. I know its pro wrestling, but were those barriers extra unattached to anything?! They were getting flattened and flipped over all night. Main event really delivered. I don't think Red shoes was awake, at all. 

I don't wanna go to a WWE show ever again. 

• Like 2

So is that it for the Bullet Club?

8 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

So who do they bring in to face HAKU in a solo match?  You know NJPW wants it to happen.

Billy Gunn for the quick squash.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BNosanchuk said:

I don't wanna go to a WWE show ever again. 

100% my feeling too both during and afterwards. 

The hard cam did a good job of avoiding the sections on either side of the entrance way that were tapered off partially. The view from the first row of risers was almost perfect if not for some humongous man in front of me, whom I had to look around. I adored hearing the little kids in my section shouting for Kenny and trash talking Cody. Those li'l dudes have awesome taste for being like 6.

Between the September show and lion's gate shows in November, Harold Meij is not fucking about with expansion. Going back to the pyramid is smart but they will need a strong card to sell out again. Don't know if Bucks vs. GOD and Kenny vs. Fale cuts it.